• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nytkoi's Tutorials: Basic Eventing in RMXP

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
sz7q89.png

Tutorial 1: Basic Eventing With RMXP Logo created by yours truly.

Hi, Everyone! the intro!~
Hi people, I'm Nytkoi, an almost intermediate game developer. I'd like to post some tutorials up here for some newbie RMXPers. I have one big pointer, though: If you're making a pokemon fan-game, use Pokemon Essentials by poccil. To find the download, just go to the members list, search poccil, and click the link in his signature. It will have the download. Trust me, It will be trhe best starter kit you will ever find. c: Before we go on, lets have a round of appluase for poccil! :D *clapclapclapclap*. Okay, now to get on with it. There will be a series of tutorials, so stay tuned for other ones. This tutorial is about Basic Eventing in RMXP.

Step 1!
First of all, you need to open up RMXP. Now, once it's opened up, select your game. Now, you notice there is a toolbar at the top. Yes? :P See the little icon with A blue cube? It looks like this:
24vt9w1.png

Click on that. Now you'll notice your map has just gotten a small grid. Now, double click on one of the squares on the map. It will open up a box. This box looks like this:
Spoiler:

This is where you code all of the eventing. It takes a lot of time, effort, and playtesting to get these right. I'll only be listing the basics. Now, on to where it really starts.

The types of basic event calls
Now couble click on one of the lines in the big white box. It looks like this:
149mssy.png

It will open up a grey box with a lot of commands. this box looks like this:
Spoiler:

Now we'll be talking about the basic commands. We'll start with:
Show Text...!

Okay, click on the little box on the grey box above labled Show Text... And it will open up a text box. Now, type what ever you want this event to say when you talk to it. For example, you can write:
"Hello there."
Now, finish. Click apply and ok. You just made an even that talks to you! But wait, what about giving it a graphic? That's what we're going to talk about next!

Giving an Event graphics!
To give your event graphics, double click a box in the box that has the events. The box looks like this right now:
15hy8g8.png

Double click it.

Now, If you have Essentials, poccil has nicefully added some NPC graphics for you. You can choose one from a box that looks like this: (I have circled the pokemon type ones)
Spoiler:

Now, just double click one. For this tutorial, lets use Crystal. Double click the name crystal. Now, that box that was empt now has Crystal in it! Choose one of cyrstals ows in the crystal set to change if it starts looking left or right. Or up or down. Lets use down. Now, the box that used to be empty looks like this:
zx2s29.png

Now, on to:

Triggers!
Now, lets look at this little box here:
34fzhb4.png

Lets talk about the different types of triggers!

1st Trigger: Action Button!
When they say Action Button, they mean the key 'Z'. Now, this means when you go up to this event in the PlayTest, you have to click 'Z' for the event to start. So, in game, when you click z next to Crystal, she'll say "Hello There." If you added the Show text I talked about earlier. There are many different things you can do, but for now, its just going to be basic. :3

Second Trigger: Player Touch
The second trigger, Player touch, means that if you have no graphic and you walk on this event, it'll play what the event you coded it to. So if you made an event with no graphic that has a command Show text that says "Stop!" When you walk on that event in the playtest, it will say "stop!" Automaticlly.

Third Trigger: Event Touch
The third trigger, Event touch, means exactly what player touch means, exept if it DOES have a graphic, you use this trigger. :3

Fouth Trigger: Autorun
The fourth trigger, autorun, means immedatly when you enter the map, the event set on autorun will play. So If you make an event set on autorun that says,l "Hi!!!" When you enter the room with that event, it will automaticlly say "Hi!!!" To you. No matter where the event is on the grid. Cool, huh? ;P

Fifth and last trigger: Paralell Process
The fifth and last trigger, Paralell Process, means... Well, whenever you are close to this event, it starts up.
I hope you get my drift about the Triggers.

Ending Message:
I hope this tutorial helps some people that are beginning and wasn't a complete waste of my evening AND afternoon. It did take awhile, getting all those graphics. Well, please post what you think and if I should keep making the mabye new tutorial series; Nytkoi's Tutorials! Also, vote in the poll. Don;t worry, I take criticzism. I'll edit this whenever I have time to make it explain more. And to tell the truth, I'm not exactly sure what Paralell Process does. That's what I think it does. (I have tried it) But if you want to correct me about something like that, please PM me. :> Have a happy holiday, game developers!

Wichu's Information:
Something about the triggers:
The button used for Player Touch can be changed by pressing F1 and changing the C button's key; I have it set to C.
The Player Touch trigger can be used for events with graphics, too. If it has a graphic, you have to stand next to it and walk 'into' it to activate it.
The Event Touch trigger is similar to the Player Touch trigger, except as the name implies, it activates if the event touches you instead of you touching the event. For example, using a Move Route to move a Player Touch event into the player won't activate it, but if it's an Event Touch, it will.
The Autorun and Parallel Process triggers will loop back to the beginning of the event after they finish, so you have to delete the event if you only only want to run it once.
Parallel Process is actually the same as Autorun, except for one thing; Parallel Process events run in the background, so while it's running, you can still activate other events and walk around.

As for deleting an event, you might want to add that too. To delete an event, you make a new page at the end with the condition of one of its Self Switches; then, to delete the event, set that switch to ON.

Have you ever wondered on how you can make a little boy run up and down really fast automaticlly? This is what you do.
Moving Event Tutorial By Nytkoi
First; Of course, make a new event on your grid.
Second; Give the event the image of a small boy.
Now, here is where we make it run really fast. Click on this open menu:
4trmdi.png

Now, click on the down button to see the options. Select 'Custom'.
Fourth; Now, click this button that just becaqme available:
wkmwow.png

Now, we need to set the Move Route. (This is also an event command, but we'll talk about that later) I think it's basic enough for you guys to understand.
Now, change this open menu to 'Fast' or 'Fastest'.
2vbllol.png

(As you can see, I've already changed it to 'Fastest'.

And then, play test it. See if your event works!
Moving event tut. added 1/2/09

~Nytkoi's out
Tutorial written by me. Do not steal. Trust me, I'll find out if you do, :>

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
First, you want to add information about conditions and pages, as they're vital to good eventing.

Something about the triggers:
The button used for Player Touch can be changed by pressing F1 and changing the C button's key; I have it set to C.
The Player Touch trigger can be used for events with graphics, too. If it has a graphic, you have to stand next to it and walk 'into' it to activate it.
The Event Touch trigger is similar to the Player Touch trigger, except as the name implies, it activates if the event touches you instead of you touching the event. For example, using a Move Route to move a Player Touch event into the player won't activate it, but if it's an Event Touch, it will.
The Autorun and Parallel Process triggers will loop back to the beginning of the event after they finish, so you have to delete the event if you only only want to run it once.
Parallel Process is actually the same as Autorun, except for one thing; Parallel Process events run in the background, so while it's running, you can still activate other events and walk around.

As for deleting an event, you might want to add that too. To delete an event, you make a new page at the end with the condition of one of its Self Switches; then, to delete the event, set that switch to ON.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Thanks for the great help, Wichu! Mind If I write that information into the tutorial?
Oh, and also thanks for approving Avatar! : D

Sorry about that, I was going to talk about the Self Switchs, but I didn't have time. I was 10:00; I had to go to bed. Plus I would have made so many typos becuase I wasso sleepy xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2011
WOW! i think this is going to get me to make pokemon games a plenty!

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Ooh, nice tutorials, Nytkoi <33

For the Set Move Route Tutorial you should include the use of adding "Through On" and "Through Off" tags before and after your move routes, so that you can test the game and find any move route errors without the whole game freezing in case the move route runs into something. I find it useful atleast XD

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Oh, yeah. I forgot that xD I'll try to add it up sometime. I'm glad you like the tutorial, Krimm. I hope it helps some of the worse games into becoming better. ^^

Auistle

seTranquility.
Years
This will overall help quite a bit of people, since it seems like a very basic tutorial. I'm a little suprised that so little tutorials have been posted in this section. It also seems people need to have them more and more :/ Anyways, great tutorial, Nytkoi. I'm sure this will help many people.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
Hi there.
I've been looking and looking for something.
The hacking stuff had given me some experience on game developing. My game will be Pokémon Topaz Gem, but that doesn't matter. What matters is:

How can I do to erase permanently an event. I mean, when the game is running. You'll see, I began on RPGXP some months ago and I hate when I make an event that I want to run only ONCE and runs again when I re-enter to the map!!!!!!.
Suddenly, my mind got an idea. I created switches at the end of the events...well lemme show you.

Example:
Conditional branch if "Hola" is == ON
{Text: Hola, cómo estás?
else
Erase event
}
*Create switch "Hola"*

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or even if I should use another method. Actually it works but I don't know if it spends a lot more of RAM on a computer, i mean, to turn ON too many switches.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
You don't have to make it that complicated, and sometimes that method dosen't work. Just do this for example:
Code:
[B]Show Text:[/B] Hi.
[B]SWITCH: ManDoneTalking[/B] [U]ON[/U]
[I](Make a new Page 2[/I]
Control Switch: ManDoneTalking: ON
[b]Show Text:[/b] You still here?
If you don't understand, PM me. Or, if you want to use less switches, PM me.

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
Years
wow looks great! can you make a tut on how to make the player move by itself and/or make the screen move without the player in the middle?
awesome job!!!!!

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Guess what, Poke4Maniac: I just learned how to do that. You go to the event, and find the event command 'Scroll Map'. ta-da!
For your other question, you need to find the event command 'Set Move Route'. I think you're smart enough to figure it out after that ;]

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
You don't have to make it that complicated, and sometimes that method dosen't work. Just do this for example:
Code:

Ok, well, I was mistaken on my last post, it was:

Conditional branch if "Hola" == ON
{
erase event <--------- here is the correct line
else
Text: What's up man?
}
Control switches: Hola: ON

But it's ok.

Another thing I'm wondering because I have to do fancy things to make my ideas:
How can I do to completely lock a character on the map when an event is running on "Autorun"?

Here is the stuff:

There're many guys on a map, those guys have a Random autonomus movement, or Approach and Custom but NOT Fixed. When an autorun event is running (actually I don't know if on another kind of event happens this) the movement is "locked". But on certain amount of time, they begin to walk, ON THE MIDDLE OF THE EVENT!, I hate it. I have to choose "Fixed" for they to not to move during the event and I want a random movement when the event ends, but it will be like that again and again. How can I fix it?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Code:

You could just use a Self Switch for that, unless you want other events to depend on it too...

Back