• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gen 1 Pokémon Fan Club

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Your username: Venitardus
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Golbat
Why did you choose to join this club?: I started playing with this generation, and ever since I started playing, I enjoy generation 1 and love all the pokemon in it. So I'm glad I see a club for it.

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat? Zubat, without a doubt. I always had one on my team (evolved to Golbat in gen1, Crobat in any other generation). I just always loved it's typing and it's design.

Do you like the legendary birds and why?: I love the legendary birds. They are all unique and have decent typings. My favorite one of the legendary birds is Articuno (and my favorite legendary for that matter). It has the most mejestic appearance out of the 3 and has a good typing (atleast in my mind).

Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, and Pikachu). Charmander because it was my first Pokémon (obviously) and because I love fire, leading up to my favorite types, the fire types.

(Figured I'd answer a few topics. :3 )

Last edited:
Years
Your username: Sheep
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Hm, Raichu, Wartortle, and Flareon probably.
Why did you choose to join this club?: Been into Pokemon since the first generation so I owe it a lot for being as good as it was and getting me into the franchise. Hooray!

Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, and Pikachu).

BULBASAUR. I've loved it so much; there's just something about it that's really charming. May's Bulbasaur in the anime solidified my view too and since then I've been dying for a cute female, and perhaps shiny, Bulbasaur to add to my roster.

If we can pick starter evolutions, Wartortle gets the spot though. So cool. <3

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
Your username: Scraggyland
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Charizard
Why did you choose to join this club?:
Not only is my favourite Pokémon, legendary and starter from Gen one, they're the original 151!
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, and Pikachu).
I love all four of these Pokémon but if I had to choose one it would be Charmander because it's final evolution is my favourite!
In Red + Blue Charmander was always a challenge not only for myself but I'm sure many others with there being a Rock type Gym followed by a Water type.
I'm a huge fan of Yellow version as we got to have a Pikachu follow us around and were able to get all three of the Kanto starters!
(I know the Kanto region better then the back of my hand)
I have an all Generation one team in my Y version, that will change once my Eevee evolves into Espeon..

Years
From Kanto, which location is your most favorite? Why do you like it?

Lavender Town, most definitely. =) The eerie music was enough for me to fall in love with it as soon as I first got there. That little girl (or.. boy?) asking about ghosts and then saying the hand on your shoulder wasn't real if you replied no was pretty eerie and added to the town's environment too, that and I loved the dialogue of the Channelers in the Soul House.

Though Vermillion and Celadon come in pretty close. Celadon for how bustling it is (and I adore the game corner music aaah) and Vermillion because.. well, it has the S.S. Anne and Lt. Surge. It's the most iconic of the Kanto towns/cities to me.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I like fuchsia city. It's home to the safari zone and it just really appeals to me. I like cinnabar island too, but I wouldn't want to live that close to a volcano.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Welcome to all the new members!

This is actually a bit of a hard question to answer. There are so many places that I like, and so few that I dislike, it's hard to choose between them. I reckon Cerulean city might be high up there though. I don't know why, but I've just always liked the place. And I really like, how the things you have to do in Cerulean doesn't feel as linearly placed as they do in most places in pretty much all the games. I mean usually there just one "goal" in the city, be it either a gym, or beating the evil team, talk to a specific person, or whatever else there is, and if there are more things to do at the same time, one of them usually triggers the other. However, in Cerulean (and Celadon too actually), you aren't bound to do one thing first. You can choose whether you want to battle Misty first, or if you want to get the SS. Anne ticket first, and that just really appealed to me for some reason. And I've just also always felt like there's been so much to do in Cerulean, but that might just be me.

And just to seal the deal, Mewtwo is also found within the Cerulean cave, so it's an automatic win :D

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
Welcome to all the new members!
Thanks Olli :D
Kicking off a new topic to help boost activity. (: From Kanto, which location is your most favorite? Why do you like it?
It's a tough one for sure, I love Kanto!
I'd have to say Cerulean City, not only is it where you can battle Misty for a gym badge (who doesn't love Misty) and catch Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave.
You can also trade a Poliwhirl for LOLA the lovely Jynx!

I also enjoyed the Rival battle you have before heading up Nugget Bridge, I always found his Pidgeotto to be a challenge.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
For me, it would probably have to be Pewter city. It's small, the atmosphere's nice, and everyone who reside there seem to be really friendly. This is also the where you face the first gym leader of Kanto, Brock. Pewter's the official home to Kanto Museum of Science as well, which is a plus. My second favorite location's Viridian forest. I don't know why, but... I just loved exploring the place. xD"

Olli

Years
Think it's about time for a new topic!

Which is your favourite gym leader? Alternatively, which gym leader team was your favourite?

I reckon the teams can be any team the gym leaders have ever had in a canon game (so the Pokemon World Tournament team would be the most updated one), however, just go with whichever you're the most familiar with :)

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
Years
Think it's about time for a new topic!

Which is your favourite gym leader? Alternatively, which gym leader team was your favourite?

I reckon the teams can be any team the gym leaders have ever had in a canon game (so the Pokemon World Tournament team would be the most updated one), however, just go with whichever you're the most familiar with :)
My favourite gym leader would be Giovanni, you not only battle him once but three times throughout the game. I was surprised when he was revealed to be the eighth gym leader.

As for the gym leader's team that was my favourite, that would be Misty's Staryu and Starmie.
Starmie especially as I always had trouble against it every save, the fact she only used an evolutionary line too was nice.

Olli

Years
I definitely agree that Giovanni's character is great, but I just don't know if I'd tie that together with him as a gym leader. I mean, if someone were to ask me who Giovanni was, I'd instantly think the leader of Team Rocket, rather than the gym leader of Viridian city, and it feels more like that role was thrown in as a plot twist. Even the anime hardly acknowledges the fact that he's the gym leader, and that's where I usually form most of my opinions on the gym leaders from. So while I find him to be an interesting character, I wouldn't say that he's my favourite :p

My favourite though would probably be Blaine. And I don't really have much of an explanation for it, I've just always liked him. I love his character in the anime as well, but I know that wasn't where it started. I think it might be coupled together with his gym layout, his team, and the fact that his "hope you brought Burn Heal" line before the battle has been stuck in my head ever since, but I honestly have no idea. I tend to like older characters in just about everything fictional because they often turn out to be awesome, so it might just be bias from that viewpoint. But yeah, he's definitely my favourite :)

My favourite gym leader team... I honestly have no clue. The kind of teams I tend to like are the ones that are diverse, and that's something we've ever seen once from a gym leader. If I had to pick one though, it'd probably have to be Brock's G/S team. I've always really liked the design of most Rock type Pokemon, just because they often turn out to be so cool. Brock's teams have usually never been that hard though, because they often all have so many weaknesses, but I've still always enjoyed battling him :p Another one would probably have to be Misty's, just because I used to find it so tough to beat, and to this day it can still be a challenge without the proper amount of training :p

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I always liked Sabrina. For me, she was a really tough gym leader for me.

Team-wise, I'd have to say either Giovanni's team or Blue's team in G/S. I always liked the gyms teams to not have a specialty to one specific type. It always seems to be a bit more challenging when there's different types

Olli

Years
Team-wise, I'd have to say either Giovanni's team or Blue's team in G/S. I always liked the gyms teams to not have a specialty to one specific type. It always seems to be a bit more challenging when there's different types

That's exactly what I'm talking about :D That's why Blue has my favourite gym leader team of all time, though I wasn't sure if he'd count, considering he only appears as a gym leader in the Johto games, whereas he's a rival in the generation 1 games. But then again, his gym team varies a bit from his rival team, so I guess he'd count :p

As for Giovanni, I remembered him to have mainly a Ground type oriented team, though then again, I think he might've also had a Kangaskhan and stuff. In any case, his team definitely has more variety than most other gym leaders :p

But yeah, definitely agree with you that teams that aren't themed around one type is much more interesting, and I'd honestly like for the entire E4 to have been like that, instead of the champion being the only official trainer to not be bound to one typing p

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
I'm still here, just have to double check some stuff :P.

Would you want a Kanto 3DS remake more than a Hoenn one? If so, why? If not, why?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Would you want a Kanto 3DS remake more than a Hoenn one? If so, why? If not, why?
Not really, no. I mean, I would like to see another Kanto remake at some point in the future, but not right now. I'd rather see a Hoenn remake, as I've been waiting for one for an extremely long time. Plus, Kanto has already been featured recently in HG/SS, so they could wait at least two more generations or so until they start rolling it back in.

Olli

Years

I kinda agree with Ashley. While a Kanto remake on the more modern handhelds would definitely be grand, and by all means should happen, I'd prioritize a Hoenn remake right now, simply because it just hasn't seen a remake yet. I mean, of course the fourth and fifth generations haven't either, but they literally haven't touched Hoenn since Emerald, whereas Kanto has already been remade once, and kiinda has made onto the DS console through HG/SS, but that's kind of a stretch. In any case, I'd like to see a remake once Hoenn has been moved to the 3DS though, just so all of the games has seen the more updated graphics :)

Years
Your username: Saphyre
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Arcanine
Why did you choose to join this club?: Generation I was my first, and a vast majority of my favorite Pokemon come from that generation. Whenever I have the opportunity, I typically put a favorite from Kanto in my team over a favorite from another region.

No, not necessarily. My main reason is because we've already had a remake of the Kanto games. Would it be awesome to see Kanto in 3D? Yeah, it would, but it would also be awesome to see other regions in 3D as well. I think before Nintendo stars remaking remakes, they should attend to other regions first, like Hoenn.

Though, I would be more than okay with a new Kanto storyline in a 3D game. We know the Gen 1's storyline pretty well by now (okay, we know it by heart now). Wouldn't it be cool to see a new Kanto story?

Olli

Years
Your username: Saphyre
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Arcanine
Why did you choose to join this club?: Generation I was my first, and a vast majority of my favorite Pokemon come from that generation. Whenever I have the opportunity, I typically put a favorite from Kanto in my team over a favorite from another region.

No, not necessarily. My main reason is because we've already had a remake of the Kanto games. Would it be awesome to see Kanto in 3D? Yeah, it would, but it would also be awesome to see other regions in 3D as well. I think before Nintendo stars remaking remakes, they should attend to other regions first, like Hoenn.

Though, I would be more than okay with a new Kanto storyline in a 3D game. We know the Gen 1's storyline pretty well by now (okay, we know it by heart now). Wouldn't it be cool to see a new Kanto story?
Welcome to the club! I actually really like the proposal of a new storyline within Kanto. I reckon you're imagining a Black 2/White 2-esque approach, no? To be honest, there wasn't really that much story behind the first generation games compared to others. The same goes for the second generation games. All it really has is trying to stop Team Rocket, but their only goal is just to steal Pokemon, and you just run around stopping them, because they're conveniently in your way.

In any case, I'd love to see another story that takes place in Kanto, perhaps with Team Rocket again, but where they actually have more of an established goal, and one that's created a story out of. Perhaps it could take place in the past, where you witness Mewtwo being created, and you eventually have to fight it or something. Even something as predictable as that would be great, and it'd give us a chance to see Kanto make a reappearance on the 3DS :p Didn't think of that at all with my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back