• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon L.I.F.E (Card Version)

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
So, I've been working on this for a few weeks now and it's starting to look somewhat how I pictured it, but here is my new battle scene so far.

pw0y.png

The green background changes depending on who you are battling.

Graphics aren't my strong point, but I'm getting the hang of it at least, once I get the details printed on screen, HP, Types, etc. I will work on the battle mechanics.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
A new update:
This is to the shop and how it will look when you buy packs of cards.
BuyingPacks.png

From top-left to bottom-right.
1) The shop assistant talking to you.
2) Then he whips out some cards for you to choose, depending on the stock he has.
3) Here you can see;
Money window at the top-left, showing the amount of money owned (I'm obviously rich haha).
A star rating out of 3, for the packs (1=basic, 2=next level, 3=higher level).
The price of the pack you are highlighting (this is different on which ever shop you are at).
Sale sign, if the pack is in sale or not.
The description of the pack.
4) Just showing the differences, whether the pack is in sale really.
5) Pay for the packet.
6) Bought the packet.

Some other things that happen in this is:
If you don't have enough money, the assistant puts the stock back assuming you were just browsing.
You can choose whether you want that pack or not.
You can browse through each packet.
Each packet has a selection of different Pokémon on it, maybe... It's random anyway.
Money updates on screen, so you can see whether you're being over charged or not, lol.
Description changes depending on the packets you are looking at, in this case, the first column is basic packets, the second column is your elite packets and the final column is legendary packets... Depending on the amount of actual stock the assistant has, depends on the packets he's willing to show you... You can always exit the shop and he'll show you some other random packets, but don't buy too many ;)
There is a nice sound effect that plays as your rummaging through the packs to find the packet you want.
There is a nice sound effect that plays when you buy the packet you want.
There is a much nicer sound effect than that annoying beeping sound when selecting which packets you want to look at.
The packs can cost differently at each shop, depending on the area probably.
And obviously, the main part, the pack gets added to your items.

I've made the picture look a lot worse than it is in-game so thieves can't take my designs, but you can see the general look to how it will be.

Things I need to add:
When bought a pack, it disappears off the screen or a fancy effect to make it look like it's picked.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
lol, oops, I've been forgetting to update here that my thread has been lost on 2 months... Oh well, no followers I guess lol.

Anyway, I figure I'll show an update and post what new things I've been working on. This details screen is something you can view in a battle, all you do is go to a card you want to view and press "C" or "Enter"... Once on this screen you can either leave it and it'll close itself or press "C", "Enter" or "X", to return to battle.
NewBattleScreen.png

Code:
[B]1.           *Holographic Card*[/B]
This will only be here when a Pokémon is a shiny.
[B]2a.          Name[/B]
Will always be here and will show a Pokémon's name.
[B]2b.          Boost Icon[/B]
This icon will only appear if a Pokémon has a field boost...  Like here, the field is grass and thus
Bulbasaur has a boost...  I'm contemplating whether or not to add a slight boost to some other
Pokémon, like for when you're battling certain trainers, specific Pokémon can have a slight boost:
Field Boosts give 25% extra damage.
Slight Boosts would give 10% extra damage. 
[B]3.            Level[/B]
Will always appear and will show the Pokémon's current level.
[B]4.            Level Cap[/B]
Will always appear and will show the current Pokémon's max level it can reach...  This will always be
the Pokémon's next stage, providing the Pokémon has 1...  If it does not, it's fixed to 90, at the
moment...  This also means any Pokémon that has only 1 stage anyway...  Any Pokémon that evolve
via item will have a level cap also.
[B]5.            Experience[/B]
This will always show and is the Pokémon's current and max EXP for this level.
[B]6.            Card Type[/B]
This will always show and shows the Pokémons type, which will always be 1 type, Bulbasaur is grass,
Charmander is fire, Pidgey is Flying, Giratina is ghost etc.
[B]7.            Health/Max Health[/B]
This will always show and shows the Pokémon's current health and total health for this battle only... 
Health will always be it's total at the start of any battle and will never change.
[B]8.            Moves[/B]
This will be the cards moves and will always have at least 1...  The colors you see here ([I]pink and
green[/I]), will show you exactly what AP color is needed to use the attack...  One thing I noticed
here is that I haven't added the AP cost, i assure you it's there, I just commented it out in the
scripts so you can't see how much moves cost at the moment ;) ...  Moves are subject to change
from what you know, because I'm using cards instead of full on Pokémon, cards can and will have a
specific set of moves, but, the card owned or acquired can possibly have a different move than your
current.
[B]9.            Ability[/B]
This will always be here and I chose specifically to use Bulbasaur here because he has no Ability,
almost every card will have no ability and the ones that do will be somewhat rare, at the moment, no
card has an ability because I'm slowly making my way through them changing them or removing them
so they do something more card/ap based, than field/opponent/attacker based.
[B]10.           Graphic/Sparkles^[/B]
This will always be here and will show the current Pokémon's battle graphic, here, because Bulbasaur
is shiny, it shows his shiny graphic, if it's not a shiny, it will have it's standard graphic...  Male and
Female are irrelevant in this game, since it's cards not actual Pokémon, so the graphic makes no
sense to be different depending on gender.
^ Sparkles, if any of you guys saw my last question VIA Pokemon Essentials thread, I was trying to
work out how to get a graphic to animate while the screen is paused...  Well this is it, the sparkles
will animate in battle and any Shiny Pokémon will have these around them, gives it a better, nicer
look...  If I were a graphics artist, they'd look better, but that's all I got at the moment, if anyone
can contribute something better, PM me and I'll give you measurements.
[B]11.           Player Active Cards[/B]
These won't be exactly how you see here, because your team will be different, but each card you
lay will have it's Pokémon icon and HP, plus the card will look specific to the type of the Pokémon...
 Here the cards you see are Bug, Electric, Dragon, Psychic, Ghost and Grass.
[B]12.           Deck^^[/B]
^^  This is where your deck will sit, providing you have more Pokémon in your deck than in your
hand or on the field...  This is also what the back of the cards look like.
[B]13.           Empty Space[/B]
The empty space here is empty because it's the graveyard...  The graveyard is not accessible at the
moment, because monster revival cards are non-existent in this game.
[B]14a.          Player AP[/B]
Each is color specific, Red, Pink, Blue and Green...  You will need this to attack.
[B]14b.          Opponent AP[/B]
Each is color specific, Red, Pink, Blue and Green...  The opponent will need this to attack.
No number. Opponent team
I forgot to number this, but the top row behind all the details are the opponents cards, you will not
be able to see their deck, you must fight until all opponent cards are gone, oh the suspense...
Each deck can only be filled with 45 monsters and 5 misc cards, you can only fight, providing you have 6 monsters in your deck... Any less and you will not be able to fight... Cards can be found in a number of ways, so this should never happen... If by any chance this does happen, the professor of the region will grant you a Booster Pack or a single card as a little help... Booster packs only hold common Pokémon and will never give you something rare.

That's one aspect of things I've been working on, I'll save more for another day.

What do you guys think?

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2023
This looks absolutely amazing, I loved the TCG on the gameboy, great work, keep it up!

Made a user bar for you

userbar3.jpg

Last edited:
Back