• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Alright, I am formerly Pendraflare, so here's a challenge that I completed just today.

Username: Swagroar
Pokémon type: Dark
Challenge Mode: Normal
Game: Moon
Other rules: Set battle style, did not use bag items in battle outside of Poké Balls

Since it's all already finished, I'm just gonna list summaries of the important battles:
Spoiler:

The final team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I'd love to join this, and the title of this challenge seems pretty straight forward, but honestly the first rule confuses me. I'm probably missing something super obvious, but what does "Your final team must consist of at least 2 Elite Four-viable Pokémon who share the type you specified in your sign up." mean?

What pokemon wouldn't be considered viable? This confuses me, because I would assume at that point your entire team is made up of elite four viable pokemon of your specified type.

Forum User Name: kitarei
Pokémon Type: Fire
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y.

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I'd love to join this, and the title of this challenge seems pretty straight forward, but honestly the first rule confuses me. I'm probably missing something super obvious, but what does "Your final team must consist of at least 2 Elite Four-viable Pokémon who share the type you specified in your sign up." mean?

What pokemon wouldn't be considered viable? This confuses me, because I would assume at that point your entire team is made up of elite four viable pokemon of your specified type.

This rule is there to prevent people from using a single Pokemon the entire game. So it's basically saying just to have at least two Pokemon that can fight the Elite Four.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
This rule is there to prevent people from using a single Pokemon the entire game. So it's basically saying just to have at least two Pokemon that can fight the Elite Four.

I feels so silly for misunderstanding that! I suppose because I would always try to flesh my team out as much as possible, the thought didn't cross my mind.

Cheers for the clarification! :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting White Update

Haven't been able to update in a while due to school. The most important things that happened are as followed.

- I caught a Scraggy and nicknamed her Ronda. This should help me deal with those pesky psychic types!
- I beat Burgh without any major issues and got the Insect Badge.
- Dakim evolved into Gurdurr who I then traded in order to evolve him into Conkeldurr.
- I faced of against N in Nimbasa City. The only problem I faced here was his Sigilyph that took down half my team. Luckily Teddy saved the day.
- After having a repeat of the experience above with Elesa and her Aerial Ace Emolga, I managed to secure my victory and the Bolt Badge.
- Compared to Elesa, the battle against Clay went smoothly and I nabbed an easy Quake Badge.
- Finally I managed to defeat Bianca and got HM02 Fly.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
I know its been a while for me but I'm not really feeling my fighting challenge right now, I will finish it but I right now I'm not sure I can. I am starting another ultimate challenge though which I will be using rock and I will again start with yellow. Wish me luck.

Challenge type: Ultimate
Pokemon Type: Rock
Game(s): Yellow, Soulsilver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White 2, Y, Moon
Current Progress: Yellow 0/8, Soulsilver 0/8, Alpha Sapphire 0/8, Platinum 0/8, White 2 0/8, Y 0/8, Moon 0/18

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 28, 2017
Forum Username: Zoriri
Pokemon Type: Ground
Challenge Mode: Single
Game: Omega Ruby

Quick question before I get too far into this. Since I'm using Omega Ruby, will I be able to use Pokemon found on mirage spots once they become available, or can I only use Pokemon that are officially in the Hoenn Pokedex?

With that out of the way, update time!

Adventure Log 1:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting White Update

Progress Report:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I just a copy of Pok?mon Sun so now I have a game to do 7th gen challenges on
I'm going to attempt to do all 18 types in Pok?mon Sun
I have not yet decided which I will do first

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
I'm back with an update for my Alpha Sapphire Poison mono.

Badges: 5/8

Progress:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Ok making good progress in yellow so far. I lvled pikachu up to 14 and bought some potions so I could get brock over with and it was still a close thing but I beat him and moved on to Mt. Moon. 1/8
Afterwards I rushed past as many trainers as I could to keep exp for my first mon. Made it to Mt. Moon and proceeded to capture the first member of the team Gene the Geodude.
took my time leveling Gene up and he proved to be nearly unbeatable (barring the one time I got poisoned and died on the tile to heal at the pokemon center). Made it to Cerulean and proceeded straight to Bill's house to get the S.S. Ticket. Decided to grind a little at clear out Vermilion, nearby routes, and the S.S. Anne before returning to Cerulean for the gym. Despite my now high level Graveler still struggled a bit to defeat Misty but after 3 tries I got the badge. 2/8
Blitzed my way to Rock Tunnel after making a slight detour to get Flash (also had to catch a few random pokemon to do so). After spending an hour and a half trying to find an Onix on the first level I look up its encounter rates on the 2 floors.
After seeing its higher on the next one I change floors and immediately find my second member of the team Onyx the Onix.
Left Rock Tunnel and returned to Vermillion for the third badge while grinding Onyx up with any trainers I managed to previously avoid. Also taught Onyx Dig so it can actually have a ground move.
While Onyx put up a good effort once again its Gene who wins the badge. 3/8
Returned to Rock Tunnel and the second floor.

Gene the Geodude lvl. 38

Onyx the Onix lvl. 20

no named cut mon (bulbasaur if it matters)

no named flash mon (pikachu if it matters)

no named future fly mon (pidgey if it matters)

no named future surf mon (squirtle if it matters)

All but flash mon will be replaced by proper rock mons in the future.
Really liking the run so far. Being all tanks is pretty great.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting White update

I have now beaten Pok?mon White after some struggles against the Elite Four, N and Ghetsis. Now I can proceed to the final part of the challenge, Kalos.

Final Team:
Spoiler:

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Forum Username: calenlily
Pokemon Type: Water
Game: Ruby

(And I'm going to be doing this without using any non-water-type HM slaves.)

calenlily

Years
Water challenge in Ruby

Progress Update 1:
Spoiler:

Current party:
Spoiler:

---

Progress Update 2 - Challenge Completed:
Spoiler:

My team:
Spoiler:

Final Thoughts:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bad Egg

An error
Years
Username: Bad Egg
Pokémon type: Flying
Game: Leaf Green

Okay, progress check (nobody cares about) Badges - 2/8
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

calenlily

Years
Starting a new one.

Username: calenlily
Pokemon type: Flying
Challenge mode: Single
Game: Red

Debated for a while over whether to play Red or FireRed, ultimately the temptation of getting to play with a first gen Gyarados again won out. Though I may well do this one in FireRed too at some point

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Alright, the OP is up to date as far as I can tell.

I will be having this thread locked tomorrow evening, so if you have any issue with your entry in the OP then now is the time to say so!

I have omitted any challenges for Sun and Moon that are not complete, since they don't particularly apply to the rules of this thread. A new version which includes Sun and Moon in the requirements of Ultimate will be posted by Volga, who will be taking over the challenge in my stead. Thank you so much for putting up with me these last few years. It's been quite the journey getting here, and it's not easy to let this thread go, for sure. But I gotta move on some time, there are other things to experience and hobbies to try. I will definitely be continuing to play Challenges, and fully intend to finish my Ultimate Bug Monotypes in due time (God I can't believe I started that thing in 2012).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back