• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B2/W2 Gyms

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
All the gyms in Black and White 2 have gotten upgrades, including new interiors. Every gym has been remodeled, except for the Icirrus City and Nacrene City gyms, but they are not part of the main gyms anyway. The Icirrus City and Striaton Gym Leaders can still be battled, however. There are also a few new gyms added, listed here:
Spoiler:

In addition, the gyms have new and unique themes, which differs a lot from previous games, as all gyms usually have the same theme. In this game, each theme is a remix of the original gym music, made to suit each and every gym (though Cheren has the normal theme, this may be because he is a normal gym leader).

So,
How did you feel about the gyms in Black and White 2 compared to the originals, Black and White?

-Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?
-Did you like the different themes for each gym?
-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?

For me, I really liked the new themes for each gym. It made me feel like each gym leader (and to some extent, the gym itself) had its own personality. The fact that the gyms were remodeled also made me feel like Unova has changed a lot in 2 years. For the puzzles, the only one I had trouble with was Burgh's, because I didn't know you had to stand in front of one cocoon for the trainer to jump out, as well as the opening.

Anyways, discuss.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Drayden's Gym was the most unique. It actually had an occasion where you had to fight a Triple Battle or a Rotation Battle, which was your choice. Granted, I took on both for the experience NEway.

Skyla's Gym was also a fun one to try. Nimbasa was generically boring; a runway for a Gym, but cool that your Trainer's picture shows up on screen afterwards. Clay's I fortunately figured out quickly (I'm good with mazes), but it's one of those that could prove annoying to players.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
How did you feel about the gyms in Black and White 2 compared to the originals, Black and White?
Overall the best Gyms so far. Their uniqueness really shined this time around. Yes, each Gym in the past had a little puzzle, each different from the other, and totally different trainers in each, but this time we REALLY got a difference from each Gym. In the past, they all has the same, drab, dull feel: You walk in, battle some minions, and then the Leader. In black 2 and White 2, you really had an experience. You experience the Gym, the theme, the trainers, and of course, the Leader.

CLAY. His Puzzle sucked. I always get so turned around in his gym and usually end up in the same spot six times in a row. ;;

They were probably my favorite new feature in the Gyms. The themes matched each Leader perfectly. Cheren's was still the same as the generic Gym theme was in Black and White, but that was perfect too, considering that he's the "teacher" type of Leader as well as being the newest Gym Leader in Unova.

-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?
Not at all. Each new Gym is most definitely an improvement upon their previous styles and layouts.

These games were definitely the games with the best Gyms ever, in my opinion. Nintendo and GameFreak did a fantastic job at designing each one, and I can't wait to see what other Gyms in the possible and hopeful future.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
-Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?: Clay's gym puzzle gave me headaches.
-Did you like the different themes for each gym?: Yes, particularly Roxie's.
-Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?: I liked Skyla's B/W gym interior than the one in B2/W2 because the catapults were fun to shoot out of.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I love these gyms! The one that stuck with me is actually Burgh's, especially the music omg <3 Clay's puzzle sucked, but it was still an improvement over the previous. BW changed the gyms to be actual facilities, and BW2 just took it beyond! They were fun to complete, actually.

Years
I thought they were mostly an improvement over the BW gyms. (Clay, you suck.) The roller coaster gym was kind of annoying to me so I'm glad that was replaced with a straightforward runway with fun music. Much more fitting there. They all seemed to fit more with their respective leaders this time around so I was glad to see that.

Years
I have to say the new Gyms are a drastic improvement, the new looks are just so cool and the fact they remixed the music to suit the theme of the Gym was a smart move, for Cheren's they used the original theme from Black and White, probably cos he's a Normal-type Gym Leader and all.

My fave music would have to be from Burgh and Elesa's Gyms, and the design was awesome too. Tbh I liked Burgh's Gym design much better than in B/W and I like how Elesa now has hers on a catwalk, and those lights are beautiful.

I didn't have any particular issues with the puzzles though.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
The gyms in this game were much better than the ones in the original BW. I loved Burgh's gym, I also liked Marlon's but the best of all was Drayden's :D

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I loved what they did with the gyms in this game! Going from Cheren's normal gym theme to Roxie's rock music club version of the theme certainly surprised me. Elesa's really blew me away when I first got to her. "GIVE ME WHAT I NEED!" :O Yeah, I just loved the fact that each gym had a unique theme. It definitely made me look forward to entering new gyms, at least moreso than before.

As for puzzles, I particularly enjoyed Marlon's and Skyla's most. ^-^

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Hands down the game improved on a bunch of points, one of them being the gyms. I enjoyed the uniqueness of them and the puzzles reminded me of Flannery's gym back in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. One of the hardest from the series. Anyone Remember?

I also loved how you started your quest on the other side of the map and couldnt get to the original starting point until after the E4+1. Threw some originality into your quest as opposed to a repeat of B/W.

Regards, Chris

Years
I would have to say that of all the upgraded Gyms, Elesa and Skyla's were my favorite. The Nimbasa Gym was one of my favorite because it was straightforward (battle and move on), and it had some pretty awesome Gym music. I wouldn't want all Gyms to be that simple, but I think one or two a game work.

I also liked that there was a bit of challenge and strategy with Skyla's Gym in Mistralton. Overall, I find I prefer simple strategic puzzles like this one compared to something like Clay's Gym, where it can almost borderline on frustrating.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I loved Elesa's gym, but more so, I loved Roxie's as well. It suited each of them greatly.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Burgh's Gym > Elesa's Gym > everything else.

I loved the gym designes/re-designs. I didn't particularly like BW's Gym designs so it was a very welcome change!

Years
The only gym puzzle that was tuff for me was Clay's gym. Other thank that, I thought they where great.

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
CLAY UGH!
YAAS!
Nope :)

Years
Another reason why I think White/Black 2 to be the best Pokemon games made. Each gym had its own theme, its own design, it made itself memorable. Elesa's gym and Drayden's gym were amazing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'm only half way through my first time in B2, but so far I mostly prefer the new gyms. The only one I didn't care for much was Roxie's gym, since it wasn't really a gym. It was more like I just tromped up there onto the stage in the middle of a show and interrupted for a battle. It just seemed weird. Burgh's remodel was pretty good, and I loved both Elesa's and Clay's - Elesa's for the ambience and Clay's for the puzzle.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Were there any gym puzzles you had trouble with?
I had trouble with Clay's gym, now that was a hard one.
Did you like the different themes for each gym?
Oh my gosh, I loved it. They finally pinpointed the themes, even adding unique gym music to each gym, which gave it it's own feel. The gyms also corrosponded to their type, with was great to see happen.
Was there a gym interior you preferred in Black and White rather than the new interior?
I felt like Drayden's gym was more creative the first time around.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I hated Clay's gym puzzle. It took me 1 hour to solve it. It was booooring. The best puzzle in my opinion was Burgh's one. But the Drayden's one was awesome too. You choose which type of battle you want...I loved it.

Back