• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Alomomola vs Amoonguss (NU Matchup #2)

Which do you pick??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I live Alomomola. Even if it does not relate to Luvdisc. Amoongus is just another Grass/Poison type. Almost ALL grass pokemon from kanto were poison type.

So, my vote is for the floppy friendly fish.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
For competitive battle I say Amoongus wins for me due to 1, its poison type not only providing it utility in removing toxic spikes and immunity to poison and 2. Its abillity to be a mixed wall as well as a general supportive threat in many different scenarios. Although alomomola does also due its job vary well and survive in certain situations where ammoongus cant, I have had had more overall success with amoongus overall. However in the upper tiers(such as OU), I think believe neither of them can function at full potential due to prominent threats such as Tornadus-T, Thunderus-T, Rotom-W(to lazy to think of more atm) that can make their presence on your team, a liability and/or short lived. Also being generally outclassed in defensive roles doesnt help either. On the flip side, being able to halt certain physical attackers such as Landorus/Land T, Terrakion, Scizor, Mamoswine(alomomola), and Breloom(Amoongus) make them very valuable in those situations.

As for in game usage it could go either way really. I like that they are both very capable defensive pokemon and can prove extreemly handy in many scenarios in-game as well as being fun to use.

Lastly, Amoongus obviously has the advantage versus eachother due to being resistant to water, immune to toxic, and the obvious STAB super effective giga drain ftw gives it to Amoongus.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hmm, Amoonguss for me. I've been battlign a few Amoonguss's these days & it's been toying around with me. With Spore & everything, it's definitely one of my picks now.

Alomomola has it's focus on HP & it's other stats are not too great, just like Synerjee said, defeating it's purpose. It's movepool is of no use to me too so meh.

My vote goes to Amoonguss ^^.

Years
I'm going to be one of the few to vote for Alomomola. Even though Amoongus is a cooler looking pokemon, and I prefer grass types... alomomolas are just INCREDIBLY bulky. Whenever I've used one it's been awesome with wish, toxic and protect. And whenever I've had to face one it's been a real pain. I haven't really fought many Amoonguses so i guess it's a little unfair, but that's just how I stand as of right now. Also, while it does have pretty much one set, I think that's okay. If it fills the niche, and does a good job at it, then what more could I want/ And it does a great job from what I've seen.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Amoonguss of course. It does have better moves and that its very bulky when I've been battling it. Its Rage Powder and Spore makes it more tricky. Its other moves like Giga Drain and Clear Smog is very good.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2012
I don't know much about competitive battling, but I think Amoonguss would be a better supporter due to spore.

Back