• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use Pokécheck for Dex completion?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
It's not really cheating, because the Pokémon stored in the Pokécheck server are legit for the most part, but, if you need an exclusive from another version, for example, or you need the opposite djinn to catch Landorus in BW, do you use Pokécheck to obtain the Pokémon you need? We were supposed to use the GTS for that, but the GTS is full of scammers and/or people who ruin it because of the unreasonable trades...

EDIT: I realized this maybe should've been posted in the trade forum...? Hope the mods do whatever they feel is right.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I was going to say that completely defeated the purpose of the optional quest, but using it to obtain otherwise unobtainable pokemon isn't a bad idea.

I remember back in Diamond, my first pokemon game and the only game I completed the national dex in, I asked for friends for help, including temporarily loaning me legendaries... which was practically all of them, except for 7.

Even though it was really hard without any previous games and took over a year to slowly gather unobtainable pokemon from different friends, I felt as though this allowed me to enjoy the connectivity features in the games to their fullest.

Despite the GTS being filled with bad trades, with patience, it can be used to find pokemon you can't find. For instance, I remember post-story mode, trainers used stuff like Arcanine and Sandslash (which were added to my seen, but not caught list.) Although some trades were impossible, by using filters (only show a certain gender or level range), the GTS showed me different trades. I checked daily, and slowly accumulated around 40 pokemon through the GTS which I otherwise had no access to.

Anyone who has access to Pokecheck should have access to online communities with people who are willing to help. But I understand that when it comes to "loaning" something as rare as events-onlies like Meloetta and Arceus, that it would be hard to find people who trust you. I'll admit I got pretty lucky having helpful friends. If a person is having a hard time getting the last few pokemon, using Pokecheck is understandable.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Nah, this is about completing the Pokedex, so it can stay here. Anyway, I don't care about completing the Pokedex by any methods or means, so I don't use it for that. Other things, yes. >:)

Last edited:
Years
I don't use Pokecheck, or even don't know how to use it for that matter. And I'm not even one who cares about completing a Pokedex since I like the actual adventure more lol.

Sirfetch’d

I only used it to check my Pokemon's IVs and HP type. Other than that I really found no use from this site.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've given up my hopes toward completing the PokéDex ever since generation three. New Pokémon are being introduced every three to four years, so is there really a point? xD If I ever want to finish my PokéDex at some point in the future (which I most likely won't, since it takes a lot of time, energy, and effort), then I may use PokéCheck. I have no clue on how to use it though, so I'd have to learn all about it first and, just so I don't get myself into any sort of dilemma, I would have to make sure to do everything very carefully.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I've given up my hopes toward completing the PokéDex ever since generation three. New Pokémon are being introduced every three to four years, so is there really a point? xD If I ever want to finish my PokéDex at some point in the future (which I most likely won't, since it takes a lot of time, energy, and effort), then I may use PokéCheck. I have no clue on how to use it though, so I'd have to learn all about it first and, just so I don't get myself into any sort of dilemma, I would have to make sure to do everything very carefully.

It's easy. The instructions in the page are very detailed.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'll be honest and say that it is very tempted to do so. Not that it'll matter in two weeks so I'll likely not play fifth gen very often once sixth gen comes out but at the same time a Shiny Charm still makes it tempting. It really does. But it's so much effort and I have a lot of Pokemon that I would need to Pokecheck if I wanted to complete the dex. Which is why I haven't bothered to complete it in any, shape, or form.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I've thought about using it but instead I bought all the past games/consoles/cables to catch'em all.
So far all the NDS games have been finished, FR is done just about nearly done with Sapphire, then three more left till I can start working on trading and transferring.
Thankfully you don't need the event Pokemon for completing the National Dex! I won't need to use Pokecheck...

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I've thought about using it but instead I bought all the past games/consoles/cables to catch'em all.
Same here (except I just found out Pokécheck existed by reading this thread :) ) . I like the process of looking for Pokémon and catching them, so I don't think I'll use Pokécheck any time soon.

So far, I completed the Pokédex in all my Gen 3 games. It was tedious at times, mostly because I had to complete seven games, including the ones on the Game Cube, and then there were the roamers (I captured them using the Master Ball, but finding them in the first place was another story entirely) , and also Feebas, but once I did complete the National Dex it felt really good :) . As soon as I finish recording my playthroughs of Gen 4 games (3DS capture card FTW) I'll proceed to do the same, ditto for Gen 5.

Thankfully you don't need the event Pokemon for completing the National Dex! I won't need to use Pokecheck...
That's what I thought at first too, but the empty spaces in my supposedly complete Gen 3 Pokédex kept bugging me, so I swallowed my pride and used a program for the Wii that allowed using a Game Cube memory card as an Action Replay to catch the four event exclusives in Pokémon XD. As for Gen 4, I ended up buying an actual Action Replay which I only use to get event items. The catching itself is done without any codes. I'm also abstaining from using codes in Gen 5 games for now, at least until it stops being the current generation.

So there, my overall answer to the question is: I like finding and catching my Pokémon in the actual games as long as it is possible, and for the event exclusives, my AR's got it covered. So, no, I don't use Pokécheck.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
On my main files, in a way, I end up using Pokecheck to download any species I don't have to start breeding/rnging them. It slowly filled more and more pages of my dex, but not completely. I've been meaning to get the shiny charm... D:

Years
I can't even get the darn thing to work despite following the instructions 100% so no. In fact, I had no clue what PokeCheck even was or what it did until this year. :D

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I use it sometimes. I always play for Dex completion, and it really does make things faster. I used to try to trade for Pokemon over Wifi, but I find it to be a hassle much of the time to trade with other people over WiFi -- you need to be online at the same time, it's common for someone to have connectivity problems, etc. I do some trading online, but I also use Pokecheck from time to time if I'm impatient and I want to get a Pokemon and keep going!

I also like it because I don't RNG my Pokemon at all, and when I get RNG'd Pokemon in trades, they're often much stronger than my other team members because they have perfect IVs, etc. I use Pokecheck to make sure that the Pokemon are just boring old standard Pokemon. I don't download the .pkmn files either, so all of the Pokemon that I've gotten from there have the ribbon still (and I won't trade them to anyone else, either). I also only will download Pokemon with nicknames, because I like that it's a little bit of their old trainer's personality.

Finally, I'm pretty adamant about catching as many Pokemon as possible by myself, so I only use Pokecheck for monsters that aren't available in the game. Basically, I am a big ol' cheater but I have rules for myself, haha.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
NO. No im not. If i would use hacks i would be ashamed of myself because pokemon is my favouite game.

Back