• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favourite Pokemon game you have ever played?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Emerald, It's the most enjoyable at the end of the day and marked the best part of the franchise for me. Platinum is a close 2nd as it expanded everything that Diamond/Pearl did.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I always will be biased toward Diamond solely because it was my first game.

But...Sapphire wins. I never had a chance to finish playing through it before my game system disappeared, but it was fun while it lasted.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Torn between BW2 and Emerald. BW2 solely because the story purpose/idea and the character cast were simple fantastic and not to mention the PWT is one of the best features of all time in the entire series.

Emerald due the amazing events with the legendary mascots, unique designs and challenging Battle frontier.

BourbonWhiskey

Pokemon Trainer Since 1998
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 2, 2017
Pokemon Emerald. No more comments. You've played the game/You should play the game.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
FireRed/LeafGreen. They are the Generation 1 games with better and consistent sprite-based graphics, not to mention the inclusion of post-credits quests.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Heart Gold/Soul Silver

I wish the games weren't so expensive because I really, really want to have loads of different savings on it. I adore it SO much.

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Platinum!

Everyone I've met says the Sinnoh games are too slow but I think they're excellent. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Emerald is my absolute favorite. :) I saved up to buy it on release day and I was super obsessed with it after getting it, haha. Hoenn is also my favorite region, so that goes hand in hand with it. It's just one of those games I can always go back to and never get bored. <3

Honorable mentions to Black 2, Silver, and Red though! <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Silver, Ruby, and Soul Silver would have to be my favorites! I've played them the most and still love them to this day even if I don't play any of them all that often. ♥

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I don't know. I really enjoyed my Yellow and Silver Versions, koff~

Since I no longer have them anymore, however, I'll have to say Pokemon White Version. It's the first time where I'm actually trying to hold one of every kind in my boxes. Although it could be tied with Soul Silver, koffi~

Years
I would probably say it's a tie between Blue, Gold and Black. I loved Blue for being the first Pokemon game I played, and it was just so much fun! I loved Gold for having the day/night system and having such a cool story. Black was just awesome all around as well.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I think Platinum!

Sinnoh has, so far, been my favourite region. I loved the hugely varied terrain and that every part of the world seemed to have some kind of interesting legend or story tied to it. Diamond and Pearl were good, yes, but anyone who's played them knows that the Pokédex was rather limited (especially when it came to Fire-type Pokémon). Platinum, however, cleaned up the Pokédex and expanded on Sinnoh itself.

How could I ever resist?

TearsOfNightfall

♦ the night watch ♦
Years
I still have a soft-spot for Pokemon Silver, since it was the first one I played and I put countless hours into that cartridge. More recently, I also really enjoyed the original version of Black, with it's slightly better story and interesting region. It just seemed to have a certain spark that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum lacked for me.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
It's a coinflip between Yellow and the Golds/Silvers, DS and Color. The wide landscape deserves respect, how Johto and Kanto link. Something that a Yellow remake should have :P

Yellow is there because it models after Ash's pokemon, which, forget how lame the anime is, I know it, but havin all three starters plus Pikachu, pretty sweet. Turns out it gives you Mankey, pretty decent for Brock, never fought him w/out Mankey.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
I really enjoyed playing through Emerald and Platinum, Black & White is just a drag, I haven't started the sequels yet though.

I'd have to say Emerald is my number one favourite Pokemon game, Hoenn was really fun to play through.
Yeah, I agree with everything said here.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Platinum definitely is, in my opinion, the best Pokémon game. Ever. Eveeerrrr.

You say it's slow? In FireRed/LeafGreen the player has to go all the way up to Pewter City and get the first gym badge before being able to freaking run.

You say some of the Sinnoh Pokémon are lame? If you don't like them, you can just ignore them. They don't take up the majority of the region. If you don't like Bidoof, catch Starly. If you don't like Cherrim, catch Budew. If you don't like Pachirisu, catch Buizel. Or just catch some of the older Pokémon that they've brought back just for you and even improved some of them.

You say a lot of the Pokémon are based off of animals, and that's a bad thing? Oh so I guess Eevee's not some fox, Squirtle's not a turtle, Pidgey is in no way a bird and Torchic can absolutely not be a chicken! That would be impossible!

You say the region itself is generic and boring? Well at least they didn't just throw a desert right before the Electric gym or anything. ...I'm talkin' to you Gen. 5!

You say the soundtrack is lousy? Oh please. I suppose you would rather hear the high pitching squealing of artificial trumpets in Gen. 3, the repetitive bee-bop-boops of Gen. 1 and the dreary and absolutely boring champion theme of Gen. 2. Oh and let's not forget Gen. 5's Ghetsis theme! Drums! Lots of drums! I know you loooove your drums!

You say it didn't introduce anything new? I guess the special and physical split, additional nature improvements, background information about the entire Pokémon universe, The Underground, being able to run inside of buildings and Pokémon being able to follow the player don't matter, huh?

Least favorite game right now is probably Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. They make me yawn they're so boring and contrived. No interesting story, no interesting characters, no mind blowing tracks (stupid horns) and nothing that makes me go "Wow, this proved that Pokémon was really something!" It's just generic and boring Pokémon. I can see why when it was first released, it kind of weakened the franchise. It's nothing big.

Years
Gold/Silver (and of course their respective remakes). Those games introduced the day/night system and also introduced one of my favorite pokemon, Espeon. Though to be perfectly honest, Y is a close second. I rather like the story in this game.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
My favorite is Gold. While I liked Red (my first game), it was a little too glitchy for my tastes, and Gold was a lot better in that regard. Gold also added a lot of features I enjoyed (breeding, day/night, etc.), and I loved how it featured both a new region and a return to an old one.

Ultimately, though, my love of Gold probably stems mostly from other factors that affected my gameplay experience. While RBY probably marked the height of the Pokémon series' popularity with the general public, a lot of my friends still played Gold, and I have many fond memories of playing my games with other people at holidays, sleepovers, etc. Gold was also the first time I made a team (when I first played Red, I pretty much just used Blastoise), and the first time I completed my Pokedex. Even though my team was terrible by competitive standards (I had an unevolved Totodile, two other water types (at least one of them wasn't weak to electric, though), a fairly weak flying type, and Pikachu), I enjoyed the experience of raising all of those Pokémon through repeated Elite Four battles and encounters outside Mount Silver. I had more time to play Pokémon then than I did now; consequently, it played a larger role in my daily life, my interactions with friends, etc.

I also had to work for every Pokémon I got; I couldn't just look for Pokémon on the internet or that sort of thing. (Admittedly, there was no internet connectivity until gen 4, so I guess this applies to gens 1-3, but still...). When I wanted an Omanyte, I had to borrow a friend's Yellow (because I didn't want to restart my own gen 1 games, and he didn't care about that file) and play through most of the game to turn my Helix Fossil into a Pokémon. Now, I probably would just ask someone for an Omanyte, or look for one on the GTS. Certainly, online trading has made Pokedex completion more efficient, but there was something rewarding about having to spend many hours just to get one Pokémon. And yes, I recognize that I don't need to trade with people online to complete my Pokedex, but that's not really the point. Going back to the old way of doing things now would just feel tedious, and because I'd know that there was an easier way of getting Pokémon, I would feel like I was wasting my time. But back then, when there was no easy road, so to speak, succeeding in Pokedex completion, getting my team to level 100, etc., felt fantastic.

I've still enjoyed all of the games since Gold, but when I think about the game that played the most influential role in my childhood, Gold is the clear winner. Now, the games seem easy, and the things I work hard for (breeding perfect IVs, EV training, etc.) seem more tedious than genuinely rewarding (particularly as I enjoy training competitive Pokémon, but never actually have time to use any of them outside of in-game). Playing Red and Gold on emulators more recently, I've realized that they're easy, too, and if I were playing them for the first time today, I don't think I would necessarily enjoy them as much as I did 13-14 years ago. Sure, I would still like them, as I play Pokémon more for comfort/relaxation these days than for challenge, but I'm sure they'd seem dated compared with modern entries. But when I put the "nostalgia goggles" on and look at the games in the context of my childhood, nothing beats Gold.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 6, 2013
Top 3 Favorite games

for me its
1. emerlald
2. crystal
3. silver

Back