• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shouldn't we have expected X&Y sooner?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I mean, look, from the first moment that the first announcement came along, people have wondered that whether or not that these games came way too soon, or rather, they've expected a RSE remake. But honestly, while people have wondered that these games have come way too soo, shouldn't we have expected X&Y sooner? Wasn't there any hints from other games? Weren't there any hints or suggestions from other games that could of slightly hinted the making of this game? Weren't there any questions from the past games that needed answering, that only this generation can possibly provide answers too?

Do you have any other thoughts?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
XY is a weird case of generational timing. Gen 5 was never meant for this world longer then 2-3 years, yet the treatment of it was somewhat unprecedented. Its really hard to exactly pinpoint what XY's early arrival means and if Gen 5 had anything else planned, but for now I'm willing to say that XY arrived exactly when Nintendo wanted to more then when GF wanted to. What will be interesting with this early arrival of Gen 6 is how much of it will tie in with gen 5, which I will expect a lot of, simply cause a lot of the things started with gen 5 are so vaguely out of Unova that they can transfer easily any plot point to any region.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Im sure if they couldve Game Freak may have tried to extend Gneration 5, but Nintendo had to have been breathing down their necks about a 3DS game since the 3DS was released. Evidently they were not happy about Black/White 2 on the DS, which were originally meant to be paired third versions and GF was evidently told they needed to do something different if it was going to be on the DS. I dont think RS remakes on the DS would've flown well with Nintendo at all, so yes, I think with the timing of the 3DS this shouldve been expected sooner, not a remake.

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
I think that the timing was rather slow
Although they could predict when the 3Ds is released
they were probley already half-way though making B2&W2
so they weren't able to get the game out at the release
and now they are going to release it
when all of the hype is around the wii U, Xbox version 2 and playstation 4.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly with how weird they did Gen 5, this really doesn't seem that weird. From their normal conventions it's definitely early, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm actually rather glad it came so soon, as a 3DS Pokémon title is something I've wanted since the system came out.

MeerFall

Years
Honestly with how weird they did Gen 5, this really doesn't seem that weird. From their normal conventions it's definitely early, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm actually rather glad it came so soon, as a 3DS Pokémon title is something I've wanted since the system came out.

You say it not necessarily a bad thing but it can be quite bad for sales. If it released with a load of competition it might be forgotten due to the competition being superior. But if no compertition is present no one might be bother to buy it within the first few weeks.

Also they gap between games has to be a resonable size. Too close to the last game and they won't buy it within the first few weeks as they will be too buzy playing the previous game but too far from the previous game and the franchise will be forgotten easily.

Also the time during the year that games are released is important. Release near christmas and people will be buying it for christmas, if a horror (gruesome) game it would be best to release it near halloween. Or many games are released during the spring as the most of the target audience (teenagers) often get aload of money for christmas and would spend it on the games released after christmas.

So as you see, timing for the release of games can be important but on some occassions (for example Icaus 3D) it can be released around the hype of a new console.

So for the marketing of games, the timing it is released by can be very important.

On another note, I also brought the 3Ds when it first came out, it is so awesome so I cannot agree more, I need that game NOW!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
However, the majority of those things really don't relate to Pokémon games that much. It doesn't take a year for a person to go through a Pokémon game, and there isn't usually a specific time of year the games get released. It's better off being released in October so people have time to get it before the big holiday rush, and the rush can still push more sales in general. Competition doesn't really matter all that much either as there isn't a lot that's terribly similar to Pokémon games as it is that would directly compete with them.

The only thing I see hindering sales is the transition to the 3DS, which even that isn't that big of a deal as games have shifted hardware before, and it won't the be last the either.

MeerFall

Years
However, the majority of those things really don't relate to Pokémon games that much. It doesn't take a year for a person to go through a Pokémon game, and there isn't usually a specific time of year the games get released. It's better off being released in October so people have time to get it before the big holiday rush, and the rush can still push more sales in general. Competition doesn't really matter all that much either as there isn't a lot that's terribly similar to Pokémon games as it is that would directly compete with them.

The only thing I see hindering sales is the transition to the 3DS, which even that isn't that big of a deal as games have shifted hardware before, and it won't the be last the either.

I didn't say there was a certain time that it takes before a new game is released. It just an general idea.

Although gamefreak doesn't have a competitor which makes similar games, it still has to compete with other very popular games. Besides compertition also helps sales.

I never really said that October will be a bad time for the sales, I said it can. As game marketing can be a risk or a great idea, considering the factors.

Back