• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dem Repels...

Do you use repels?

• Total voters

`Brianna

Mahamagiha, my friends!
Years
Repels. Do you use them? Why or why not?

I didn't used to, until B/W2... (Very minor and not plot related spoilers...)

Spoiler:

I mean, for everyone out there who could care less about wild Pokemon, repels get frustrating. You have to go back in the bag, search for your supply, then 100 steps later repeat that all over again. It's annoying as crap.

So, what's yo all opinion on repels? Useful or not?

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Useful

I say it's useful if you don't want to grind, catch or find a pokemon and just want to pass by. I learned from Clair to use your favorites so I ignore routes with Pokemon I don't want with repel. I learned from N to not box Pokemon so when I catch 6 favorites repel is necessary. I only catch more if I nuzlocke so I don't game over.

Years
I only use Repels if I get sick of the wild Pokemon that appear in the area, especially if it's something annoying like Tentacool or Zubat.

Also, in B/W I use them if I need to get to dust clouds so I can collect Evolution Stones and Gems.

I was very pleased that B2/W2 now notifies you if you want to use another Repel if you run out of the last one. Neat feature I always wanted to see.

Years
Also, in B/W I use them if I need to get to dust clouds so I can collect Evolution Stones and Gems.
I never really used repels until needing to do this. Now I'm using them whenever I'm in a big cave or whatever and I'm trying to get all the items that are scattered around.

Years
I always use Repels when I don't need to train any of my Pokemon at the moment, and I just want to get through an area quickly.

I would always seem to forget in the past though about bringing Repels with me when surfing, though. That ended up giving me a lifelong hate for Tentacool.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
No, I don't use them anymore. A few times I tried using them, never seem to work.

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
No, I don't use them anymore. A few times I tried using them, never seem to work.
That's because they only work if the lead of your team is a higher level than the wild Pokemon that would attack it.

Anyways, I use them all the time. Makes life easier. Super repels are best, and are almost as convenient as Max Repels now, thanks to BW2.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I use them in places where the monsters are too weak to give any worthwhile EXP; given the fifth generation's experience system, this is now most often. I don't generally use them on my first pass through an area.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I only use Repal if I have caught everything or low HP on my pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I rarely use my Repels because I don't know the right time to use them and I could be saving them for crucial points in the game.

infosoft

The pokemon scientist!
Years
I use them a lot after I finish the game, because if I need to train I just grind at the E4. I never use them during the story, they take away from the training I guess.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I use Repels when I'm not wanting to catch Pokemon - like traversing Mt. Moon or if I were to try to catch a wandering Pokemon, such as the wandering Latias/Latios or Raikou/Suicune/Entei.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I never use them, unless I'm in an area with Pokemon whose exp points will be of no use to me or if the encounter rate is annoying. Route 18 in BW, I'm looking at you. But yeah, I pretty much sell them whenever I get one. I don't need it.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I only use them if I'm not looking for anything particular in the area and don't want to go through a million battles.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I only use them when I'm fed up with wild Pokemon, or when I'm trying to rush through an area. Now that I've learned to train my Pokemon by battling trainers and not so much with wild Pokemon, I've had more and more use for them in newer games
Spoiler:

#isthenumbersign
Years
Repels are like a gift from the gods. I gave up on trying to randomly encounter a shiny, so I pretty muh use repels every where I go. And I don't remember when it started, but being able to hold more than 99 repels in my bag allowed me to have even more of them hahaha.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I didn't use repels like at all until Hoenn (mostly because they took up an inventory space when, you know, that mattered), when the endless sea routes became tedious and I'm like "Oh yeah! They exist, and they're stuck in my pouch!"

I used them in Sinnoh when attacking Mt. Coronet. I use them when I'm in a hurry to get to a Pokemon Center because three or more of my Pokemon have fainted and I don't have any Revives. I use them when I'm in any big, annoying cave and don't want to have to run from things, or Victory Road where there are enough trainers to deal with. They're amazingly useful, especially when all you have in your way is Zubat and Tentacool and THEY GET ANNOYING.

Yes, Repels are a godsend. It's good to keep a good stock of them, for sure.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I haven't not used repels since before gen 5. There are enough trainers to train my Pokemon with and when I need some extra levels I don't even need to go in the grass - just search for shaking grass/Audinos.

Before BW, I never used repels, because I actually needed to battle the wild Pokemon for training my own.

Back