• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Are alolan forms separate pokemon?

Are Alolan forms separate Pokemon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
They aren't. Or at least, I don't think so. They're literally just regional variants of older Pokemon, and that's it. If they evolved into different Pokemon, which they don't, then yes, I'd consider them different Pokemon altogether. But, they aren't, really, so.

Years
i don't think so. they are alternate, regional variants but are not different pokemon. i don't know how to explain it. i guess its just the regular pokemon being exposed in different surroundings (e.g. muk becomes colorful aka alolan muk)

Ys

Wandering Spirit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Not according to Pokémon Go and normal Pokédex, since the Alolan variants go in the same Pokédex number. I guess I can agree with that. Being different enough to have their own entry but not enough to have their own dex number.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
well, they were included in Island Arcade's Alola rap and NerdOut's Alola rap as if they were Pokémon introduced in gen 7. NerdOut even said them the same way they were said in the Kanto rap even though you shouldn't mention a name in a regional rap if said name has been mentioned in a regional rap before.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
Yes they're new Pokemon. In the real world we would class animals like this as new species (Darwin's Finches for example), so I'd apply the same to Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
They're the same pokemon, just that they adapted in order to survive in the region they inhabited.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
they would also count as the same pokemon

alternate forms are alternate forms regardless of which region they originate from

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
In real world taxonomy? Probably.

In Pokemon? It doesn't seem like it. Seems no different to the way different breeds of dog are traded

Years
According to Alola and Galar Pokémon, they are the same Pokémon. I think they are treated just like Rotom's or Hoopa's forms in later gens. They all have different Dex description, but still same number.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 23, 2022
I feel this topic is complicated, because the way pokemon "evolve" should actually be considered "metamorphosis" because its is 1 species going through stages of forms that are specific to its species. The Different regional forms are represent true evolution, as the species have adapted to their environment and have changed in a significant way, and over a longer period of time, would become even more different. I say yes they are separate species from their ancestors, the Pokémon world has always had science wrong, like interactions between electricity and water. and electricity and ground. but that's a whole other topic to bring up. The real question is, why was there not a Dragon Gyarados in either game? But executor got to have a dragon type? makes no sense to me.

Volbeat and Illumise have sperate pokedex entries and names but are literally the same species, with different appearances based on gender
look at the nidoran family, they have seperate numbers for gender as well. Where do Nidoran come from? the female's cant breed! the males can breed, but their offspring is never a Nidoran?

Last edited:
Back