• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
I don't see how it couldn't be specific to totodile anyways, the coding of these earlier games have acted in stranger ways.

Totodile has nothing to do with Leer's coding. The only way it would make sense to me was if there was a filler move called Leer with those effects that only Totodile can learn, or if the move Leer checks if you are using Totodile, and if so it goes lolglitch. I can't imagine any other way it could happen.

Also yeah, already read up on the Dokokashira door glitch.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I never knew of the Mew glitch at the time I had the game, I would have used it! :3

Years
I just looked up the learnsets of the 3 Johto starters, I see that chikorita doesn't learn leer. I think it's suggested it's done with a starter so that the player has this move early on, or it could be that the game somehow just switches out the effect. It could be possible that the glitch could happen with cyndaquil as well and the info source just like totodile better, it's also possible that choosing totodile has a small chance of create confusion in part of the coding resulting in the game replacing lost data to keep from crashing.

As an example of specific non-glitch pokemon causing problems with a game: "• Tauros forms a notable bug in Pokemon Play It a game largely based on the Trading Card Game. Once the "Tauros" card appears, either in the player's own deck or that of the digital opponent, the game will shut down or freeze the computer." -Bulbapedia, Tauros article, under the Trivia section

After posting this, I'll proceed to test the glitch. (Just got the battery replaced in my Silver, so it has no save data atm anyways.)

Edit: Glitch data update: It's supposedly supposed to happen 4.7% of the time.
Aslo, gah! Just read that it only happens on Crystal. I'll start looking online for a Crystal Version.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Programming doesn't really work that way. And seeing as this particular makes little sense and I've never seen it documented on the various comprehensive websites (it's an incredibly common scenario when taking the massive Pokémon playerbase into account that it must have occured a lot of times if what it says is true) I'm not believing it.

The situation you describe with the Tauros card is specific to that Pokémon's own data, and implies moreso of corrupted or incorrectly programmed data than some kind of combination of elements like Totodile & Leer.

Years
The situation you describe with the Tauros card is specific to that Pokémon's own data, and implies moreso of corrupted or incorrectly programmed data than some kind of combination of elements like Totodile & Leer.
I'm starting to think that the info source was wrong in that it had to be a totodile, it's more likely to just either be a rare leer glitch or a few corrupted games. It says it's more common than getting a shiny starter, but this statistic may be inaccurate.

I'll recreate the conditions in which the info source describes. He says that the pokemon won't be holding an item when the glitch occurs and that leer will have 60pp instead of the usual amount.
If the glitch works, then myth confirmed.
If it doesn't work after getting a starter without an item 3 times, then I'll assume it was a hoax or a hack and move on.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It's still such a common condition that it's nearly impossible that nobody has documented such a thing before.

We know the ins and outs of the Dokokashira Door Glitch, the Old Man Glitch and the Celebi Egg Glitch. All of those require situations and conditions to be met that would be very difficult impossible to stumble upon inadvertently, and the knowledge of these glitches was probably built up over time finding out each step to them and their effects.

Compare that to people using Leer on a Totodile with no item - something that must have been done thousands, if not tens of thousands of times.

e: oh yeah and if this is what you're talking about

That looks like a pretty blatant hack to me, with a 60pp Fire Type Scratch and a random 60pp Leer. Just some random screwing around with move properties.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Does anyone know all the Mew glitches? Like Mew under the truck?

Does anyone know all the supposed Mew glitches? I just know the REAL one and the Mew under the truck.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2011
HELP HELP HELP Pokemon red

ok i hook up all the trade cables and for a pokemon trade.I go to the trade lady at the counter and she says "please apply here". save your game befor entering the collussem. then i get all the way to the trade and i try to trade my charizered withanother pokemon and it says "your Blastoise is bad trade is canceled." i dont have a blastiose at all.( buy the way im trading with pokemon silver.) So i try to trade different pokemon and it says the same time (also i did the M' cheat along time ago on a different file ) please help thanxx

Rosebud2

My Pokemon is Fight!
Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2012
There's a variation of the Mew glitch which lets you get a lv. 100 Mew after reaching Cerulean, which not a lot of people seem to have heard of. I have tried it and it works.

1. You will need a Pokemon with Growl and a Pokemon with Teleport (you can use Fly as well, I assume, but you can't get Fly until later in the game). Also, you will want some Poke Balls, obviously.
2. Heal at the Cerulean Pokemon Center so you will return to Cerulean when you teleport the next time.
3. Go up the Nugget Bridge and stand 1 square above where the trainer in the patch of grass to the left of the bridge goes onscreen. Save here in case you mess up later.
4. Take one step down and press start immediately. Go to "Pokemon" on the menu and teleport. When you leave the screen, a "!" will appear over the trainer's head. Also, your sprite will go all weird when you teleport. Don't worry, this is normal.
5. When you arrive back in Cerulean, go to Misty's gym and battle the swimmer. When he sends out his Shellder, send out your Pokemon with Growl and use Growl on the Shellder 6 times.
6. After you beat the Swimmer, walk up Nugget Bridge and the start menu will pop up. Press B, and you will enter battle with a wild Mew. Right now, it will NOT be at Lv. 100, it will be at Lv. 1. It should be pretty easy to catch.
7. Now, put the Mew in the first party slot and go to the nearby patch of grass. Encounter a Pokemon there. Switch Mew out for another Pokemon and win the battle. When Mew gains experience, it will grow to Level 100.

Last edited:

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
I've done the Missingno glitch a lot once I beat the game and I get bored.

I've also caught mew on my green version.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I read about the Celebi egg glitch and saw that you can also get any item. I was wondering, instead of getting 2 lvl.57 Sneasels, I can get a GS Ball. But will the GS Ball trigger the event like it should? Or will it do nothing?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Depends on which version of the game you have. If you use Gold or Silver versions, you will get an item called Teru-Sama, which has no effect. If you use Crystal version, you will get the GS Ball, which shouid enable the Celebi event.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
The reason why the glitches happen is because of the programme of the older games is unstable :)

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
Years
Ok, I have a mystery to solve. Once when I was a kid, I remember wandering in the Safari zone in Pokemon Blue when a weird thing happened. The Pokemon that popped up was an egg and definitely not exeggcute. I remember throwing loads of balls at it without any result then I decided to give up and fled. This all happened before the 2nd generation was out, but I'm convinced this was a Togepi (I think the egg had triangle patterns). At that time though, I had never heard of it, so I thought it was a glitch or something. I think I read somewhere I should have thrown rocks at it to make it hatch before catching it.

Now... have I dreamt about all this?!? I really feel like it happened to me, but still there shouldn't be any generation II Pokemon in Blue. I tried searching a little on the internet but I only found fakes. Do you think it could have happened for real? lol I'd like to look at the source code, but no way I'll manage to find what I'm looking for.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Ok, I have a mystery to solve. Once when I was a kid, I remember wandering in the Safari zone in Pokemon Blue when a weird thing happened. The Pokemon that popped up was an egg and definitely not exeggcute. I remember throwing loads of balls at it without any result then I decided to give up and fled. This all happened before the 2nd generation was out, but I'm convinced this was a Togepi (I think the egg had triangle patterns). At that time though, I had never heard of it, so I thought it was a glitch or something. I think I read somewhere I should have thrown rocks at it to make it hatch before catching it.

Now... have I dreamt about all this?!? I really feel like it happened to me, but still there shouldn't be any generation II Pokemon in Blue. I tried searching a little on the internet but I only found fakes. Do you think it could have happened for real? lol I'd like to look at the source code, but no way I'll manage to find what I'm looking for.

Well, I'm guessing it's a glitch and true because I was searching something like that too on the internet (can't remember the name of the site) anyways, there was a cheat for pokemon red allowing you to catch togepi, I tried it out but it looked like a glitched up egg and the name had tiles in it (like 'M's name), and had a voltorb or electrode icon (the pokeball icon if I remember correctly.)

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
...that sounds tasty. What was the code? :D
I've heard of five different types of Missingno. Never heard of a glitched-up egg one, though. I wanna try it!

WhiteWizard

Mewtwo Hax enabled.
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2011
One time on the missingno coast the three pokemon that appeared for me at level 100 were...

missingno.
goldeen.

MEWTWO.

needless to say.. that file had a full team of six mewtwos! none of the mewtwos ever got as powerful as the one I found in cerulean cave... Is that not weird?

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
In my copy of red, but not yellow, you could surf over the bottom of the statues in lance's room. I used to do it all the time, but then my cartrige got destroyed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back