• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Haunting Songs

Years
This isn't a thread about your favourite songs or your least favourite songs it is about those chilling and emotional songs that get rooted in your head and haunt you bringing up various emotions/memories. The idea is to see what songs have caused these reactions in you and if they do the same for other people. Do you like songs like that?

Some of the songs that do it for me are
Perfect Day - Miriam Stockley
Diamontina Drover - John Williamson
Iridescent - Linkin Park
In The End - Linkin Park
When I'm Gone - Eminem
I don't Believe You - Pink
Your Bones - Of Monsters and Men
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Ain't No Sunshine - About a million different versions but especially David Garrets

Last edited:

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
I don't listen to Evanescence... like, at all. But the topic of this thread only brought one song to mind (for now): My Immortal.

When I was like 12 I used to cry when that song came on. So emotional. I still really, really don't like Evanescence though.

... don't judge me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I don't listen to Evanescence... like, at all. But the topic of this thread only brought one song to mind (for now): My Immortal.

This. My Immortal is a seriously powerful song; I think the most of any song I've heard ever. It's probably the only song that would spur emotion within me too; I wouldn't say it's haunting though.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
There are a couple of songs that spring to mind here for me:

- Prelude 12/21 - AFI (this is mostly because I associate it with a particularly creepy scene in Smallville, but the beginning in particular is quite haunting, at least in my opinion)
- March of Mephisto - Kamelot (I don't know why, but this creeps me out. It's the lyrics, more than the composition, that make this one haunting)
- The Siren - Nightwish (I wouldn't classify many Nightwish songs as "haunting" per say, but this one definitely fits the bill for the way Tarja sings it)
- Morgenstern - Rammstein (This one is haunting, to me at least, because it is so unbelievably atypical of Rammstein, and the lyrics are more baleful than they are outright aggressive)
- Angels - Within Temptation (although a lot of pre-Heart of Everything Within Temptation songs could be said to fit this description, before Sharon changed her vocal style to something noticeably more aggressive. Not that it's a bad change, but it's just that: a change)

I could name plenty of tracks from anime and video games. Karasu's second theme from Noein, for example, is probably the most haunting piece I know of from anime, and Psycho Mantis' theme from Metal Gear Solid is definitely high up on the list for video games) but not many actual songs spring to mind, so its a rather sparse list from me...unless you want me to include tracks from games, anime and films, in which case that list will probably multiple itself by ten at the least.

Years
I can't believe I forgot My Immortal!

I'm going to have to look up these other suggestions because I love music like this.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Well, this doesn't apply to my purposely, but would a creepy songs be good as well?

If so... Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses... omg D:

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I listen to some doom / sludge / drone metal, dark ambient, shoegaze...songs of which are generally meant to give ominous vibes so I see no need to draw attention to any specific songs under those genres. I'll name a few "entry-level" bands that might interest you: Jesu, The Austrasian Goat, Sunn O))), Swans.

There's an album called Hospice by The Antlers that never fails to move me to tears and has a very dark story behind it. The lyrics in this album are very strong and evocative and are accompanied by eerie instrumentals that completely jibe. If you're looking for something much lighter than metal but unique among typical alternative rock (a label with such ambiguous meaning, I didn't want to say "indie rock" though. a more accurate description may be "fuzz-folk"), I really recommend Hospice.

Here's a sample: warning foul lingo ahead

You can listen to the full album here if you're interested and have some spare time. You must read the lyrics along with it to get the full effect. I have shed many a tear over this album, I defy you not to upon listening.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
There's only two songs which really come to mind for this topic for me. Number one is Make It Stop by Rise Against, though that's mainly for the video...

This song was produced as part of an anti-homophobia campaign and the lyrics focus around the life of a homosexual person (or tbh any person that's different and bullied for it) who was born themselves and is relentless bullied for it, to the extent that suicide seems like the only option. But then they turn around and realise that life will get better and then the ending... just omg I almost cry when I watch it. This song and the message accompanying are incredibly powerful and I can't think of a better campaign to stop bullying than a song like this. It really gets to my core and the images that the song makes me picture are... ahhh, not good.

My other song is Rooftops by Lostprophets, but there's a personal story behind that one which I'd rather not go in to haha. But the lyrics are very powerful and the images that song creates are spectacular.

Years
As far as 'haunting' goes, that song from the credits of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. It's beautiful but very unnerving and creepy.

Gollum's Song, by Emiliana Torrini. D:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Broken Lungs, Red Sky - by Thrice
Your Friends Are Gone, Always Getting What You Want, Living Together - by Circa Survive
Luca, Degausser - by Brand New
Hoppipolla - by Sigur Ros

I can't think of anything else at the moment, I know there are more, but all of these songs slay my emotions.

Years
Well depends on what type of music you find emotional really but for me personally

Home is For The Heartless by Parkway Drive
Fifty in Five by Hilltop Hoods
Stay Together For The Kids by Blink-182
Absolutely(Story of a girl) by Nine Days
The Waitress Song by Seth Sentry
Surrender by Angels and Airwaves
Secret Crowds by Angels and Airwaves

A lot of my music is really weird.
There's a few others i'm sure
If you're really emotional music wise, check out Secret Crowds. Seriously, some deep stuff running through that song.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
This might seem very strange of a choice, but I'm very serious about this one. It's a song about the beginnings, the lifetime, and the endings of a friendship. The last stanza especially gets me near to tears even now.

(Song starts at 1:36.)

Years
Some Riot by Elbow, in particular, the live version that was played with an orchestra in Abbey Road. I can't really explain why, because it's personal to the roots, but the first time I heard this song presented this way, I tear up a bit.

A few other songs known to give me a similar reaction are Sam's Town (Abbey Road Version) by The Killers, I'll Try Anything Once by The Strokes, and I've Got Friends by Manchester Orchestra.

Back