• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: Second Map of the Quarter - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Second Map of the Quarter - 2012

Introduction:

So, here we are again with Map of the Quarter! I'm a few days late in posting this, so apologies to everyone! Here is the second instalment of the competition if you will, and as we all know it's pretty simple at this stage- try to make a great map fitting a certain theme! Just scroll down to see what this quarter's theme is!

The submission window will remain open for 21 days (so until December 27th!), at which point this thread will be closed and three maps will be chosen by DrFuji and myself. These maps will be posted in a judging thread where there will be a poll to vote for your favourite map.

The winner will receive an emblem. To be 100% honest, though, they haven't been made yet, so sit tight, and we'll get to you! ;)

This Quarter's Theme:

Create a map of a cave.

Rules:
  • You may only submit one map per competition.
  • When submitting a map, please do so in spoiler tags, or in the form of a link. This is to prevent the possibility of unintended screen stretching due to particularly large maps.
  • Give credits to the makers of any tiles or tools used.
  • No complaining if your map wasn't chosen as one of the final few.
  • This thread is for map submissions and contest related questions only - Any posts not containing either will be deleted.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Will the quality of tiles used affect the judgment (or at least make a notable difference)? i.e., using 3rd generation tiles over 4th generation tiles?
Just curious.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Does it matter how to save the file (i.e should I save it as a .map)?
Also do you just want the map or do you want us to do the movement permissions too?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Will the quality of tiles used affect the judgment (or at least make a notable difference)? i.e., using 3rd generation tiles over 4th generation tiles?
Just curious.

Nope, this is a pure mapping competition. New tiles may definitely look nice or help to create an interesting map feature, but it is ultimately about the map rather than its aesthetics.

Does it matter how to save the file (i.e should I save it as a .map)?
Also do you just want the map or do you want us to do the movement permissions too?

You don't have to send any .map files or anything like that, just a simple picture of your map is all that is needed.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Welp... might as well give it a shot with one of my old maps...
Credits: Kyledove, myself, Zein/Lighterzein, lu-ho, and jiggly
Comments: I think it turned out okay given that I only had 15 colors to work with...
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I still haven't gotten my emblem from the first MotQ, where the hell is it?

And I'm not asking politely because I tried that like 5 times and it got me NOTHINGGGgggggz. And and, oh no, I'm bad at caves D; hope to get more entrants this time!

Years
I still haven't gotten my emblem from the first MotQ, where the hell is it?

And I'm not asking politely because I tried that like 5 times and it got me NOTHINGGGgggggz. And and, oh no, I'm bad at caves D; hope to get more entrants this time!

I'm pretty sure I told you, and even addressed it in the first post as a reminder:
The winner will receive an emblem. To be 100% honest, though, they haven't been made yet, so sit tight, and we'll get to you! ;)

We're not bothering with placeholder emblems because that's just pointless. Once they're made, you'll get yours.

I hope we get a few more this time, too- great start though, sab, that's looking great! :O

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Stupid question, if no one else enters, does that mean I win by default, or will the contest not be held?

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Awesome map, I am nowhere close to being this good... Someday, but until then I shall be stuck with much more boring maps. Congrats early ;)

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Here is my semi decent effort. Looking to get back into hacking so competitions like this are probably worth it :P
Couldn't really be bothered inserting tiles or altering graphics, but seeing as they don't really matter I just went with the standard tiles in the set. Probably hindered some of what I could do but meh. Player enters through the cave at the top.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Stupid question, if no one else enters, does that mean I win by default, or will the contest not be held?

If I'm honest, that horrific impossibility has never been discussed. I guess you would win by default, since you at least made the effort- although I think we'd all agree that wouldn't be the greatest way to win, would it? :P

Anyway, thankfully brane here has also entered (with a great map, if I do say so) and I hope at least a few more people are working away on their maps as I type. :3

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I'd actually like to enter Cave of Illusions from Dark Energy to this but as the general idea is to make a good-looking map, it doesn't stand against (literally) anything on that aspect.

Ah, whatever! I'll just show you what that cave is like:

coi1.png

coi2.png

coi3.png

There are "three types" of maps in this cave; ones that look like #1, ones that look like #2 and one #3. Just ignore how the graphics aren't displayed right in #3.

But the idea goes like this; every map of type #1 is connected to four sides like shown in the screenshot and #2 and #3 only upwards.

There are two entrances in the cave and you'll have to "figure out" (not really) the way to get to the other entrance. As an example, with some map of type #1 there, if you walk upwards from the uppest part of the map (through map connection), you actually end up in the lowest part of it in the same map and that loop takes place over and over again until you choose to go either down, left or right ending up somewhere else.

In my personal opinion, the funny thing here is that thinking logically makes no sense here. If you start in room of type #1, take a turn right, then up, then left, and then down (by always being in room of type #1 there), you will not end up in the same map you started with.

But nah, never mind my "map" here.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Spoiler:

This is my map. It's the default tiles for Cerulean Cave. There is no story behind any of it. I guess Team Rocket is just up to their old evil ways. :)

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Correct. This ends on the 27th.

Last edited:
Years
All right guys, just a quick reminder that this thread will be closed tomorrow, 12 noon GMT. If you hope to have your entry considered, be sure to get it in before then!

When this thread is closed, shortly afterwards the voting thread will be up. The three best maps (chosen by DrFuji and myself) will be posted for the community to vote on, and after a week, the winning map's creator will recieve the MotQ emblem. So good luck to all!

Bela

Banned
Years
I might as well enter. Here's a map for an ice cave I recently was working on:

Spoiler:

I believe the tiles I inserted were from some public tiles somewhere. That construction worker is a custom sprite of mine. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back