• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
I'm looking for a story-driven pokemon rom hack/fan games with a talking protagonist. Preferably if the story is mature/dark. I know these kind of games are very hard to find. But I do hope there are at least one or two out there with these stuff. While talking protagonists are preferable. I wouldn't mind protagonists that only speak through monologue. Oh btw, I've already played red chapter. Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 5, 2021
4th Gen and onwards had a lot of very mechanical QoL changes with things like the Physical/Special split, the new EXP curves and boosts in Black and White, the party wide Exp Share, reusable TMs, so on and so forth. While most hacks pick and choose stuff like this to include, you're going to have a hard time finding major hacks that don't have the Physical/Special Split.

Additionally, a lot of hacks that put in older regions tend to make rather sweeping changes elsewhere, but the work for the extra regions has certainly been done. Most are attached to Fire Red (or RPGMaker) for ease of development from what I've seen.

The "Complete Hoenn Dex" you linked is probably your best bet for what you're looking for. It has indoor running shoes, day/night, and a lot of other little changes to ease some of those GBA frustrations. Beyond that, have you tried or thought about trying Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby on 3DS? Obviously it's not quite what you asked for, but most of the completion and QoL issues from the original games are complete non-issues in the remakes. The new EXP Share will overlevel you considerably though, so you may want to think about leaving it off until you need it to enjoy the original level curve.

Thank you for the feedback.
I wasn't even aware they did this split changes in Gen 4+. I can actually live with subtle changes like these just fine, I gladly take any QoL fine-tunings. What I was talking about is the more apparent additional mechanics like mega evolutions, stuff which overloads the nature of a fight any more than it used to be.
I've takan a look at Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, but apart from me not owning a 3DS they steer a bit too far away from my nostalgia factor.
I guess the Complete Dex versions will do just fine for now.

Years
Thank you for the feedback.
I wasn't even aware they did this split changes in Gen 4+. I can actually live with subtle changes like these just fine, I gladly take any QoL fine-tunings. What I was talking about is the more apparent additional mechanics like mega evolutions, stuff which overloads the nature of a fight any more than it used to be.
I've takan a look at Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, but apart from me not owning a 3DS they steer a bit too far away from my nostalgia factor.
I guess the Complete Dex versions will do just fine for now.

I actually just completed the main story for the national dex version yesterday and it was pretty much reminiscent of the old games. Some of the battles were different (if you want them to be the same then choose the light version) and pokemon were changed around but there weren't any changes to the story that I can recall. You get access to buy every single TM and evolution stone and berry from a mart after you beat the elite 4 which is a nice change for one

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hi, I wanted to know if there are any games with the following pokemon feature?
I know that Bushido has it. Or Storm Silver like enhancements of Johto has it. But I don't know any other. I would be so grateful if you share with me.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Hi, I wanted to know if there are any games with the following pokemon feature?
I know that Bushido has it. Or Storm Silver like enhancements of Johto has it. But I don't know any other. I would be so grateful if you share with me.

Pokémon Fantasy is another one that has following Pokémon, as well as Eric Lostie's fan-games (like Titan and Opalo, but I'm not sure if all of them are in available in English). Following Pokémon is not actually a rare feature among fan games so you should be able to find some (not so in rom-hacks, unless they're HGSS based hacks)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Currently interested in rom hacks / fan games that have:

-Pokémon (and moves/abilities/features if possible) from up to Gen 8. No need to have all 898 Pokémon, but yes a decent variety across all gens.
-Main story completed (don't care about post game)
-Challenging but not the kind of challenging that means you're gonna spend more time grinding to overcome absurd/unfair difficulty spikes than actually having fun playing a game.

I appreciate any suggestion.

😭😭😭 Please help me someone !

What do you need help with?

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Aug 29, 2021
I am now making a new pokemon from hack but I need to change the title screen.
I have changed the intro messages but I want to change the Title screen such as, if I am using fire red for the hack, I need to change the Charizard in and the name Fire red.

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Aug 29, 2021
I have changed the intro messages but I want to change the Title screen such as, if I am using fire red for the hack, I need to change the Charizard in and the name Fire red.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today

Well, this thread is for people who want suggestions for fan-games/rom hacks to play. You should post or search your issue in the correct forums, which seems to be "Rom Hacking Help".

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Anyone got the pokemon location document for emerald 386? Can't find an accurate one anywhere

Years
If anyone can give me suggestions on heavily story based (or just roms that have a nice story to follow in general) roms/fangames? I've been craving a new good story to play through, but with so many roms out there I don't know what I should be looking at!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
If anyone can give me suggestions on heavily story based (or just roms that have a nice story to follow in general) roms/fangames? I've been craving a new good story to play through, but with so many roms out there I don't know what I should be looking at!

I'm playing Bushido and it has an interesting story so far, it has a nice story flow, and it's not too dense or too edgy. Pokémon Opalo has a good story too but it's a Spanish fan-game.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hey there,
As I said in my intro (the thread is in meet and greet), I came here driven mostly by nostalgia.
I love the pokemon of the first generation (the first 151 to be precise), and I don't actually find interesting/fun to play versions where there are other generations (or fakes) mixed togheter.

But I would love to play an updated version of the game (and not the original Red)
So, this is what I'm looking for:
- A rom hack or an RpgMaker remake of Red/Blu (with graphics like gba or better, like nds for example)
- Being able to catch all the 151 pokemon (even in a custom zone, leaving the rest of the game as the vanilla experience)
- Being able to evolve the ones gated behind a trade or similar
- Being able to rematch the trainers around the world (gyms too)
- Being able to complete the game without having to cheat
- QoL improvements (compared to the base Red/Blu) like Shared Exp, Running everywhere and similar

I've done a bit of research but I was not able to find anything that fits all my requests.
Also I'm not into the hacking/rpgmaker scene and I don't know where to start.

If someone can point me to a ready to use hack or rpgmaker it would be awesome.
If something like this does not exists... maybe someone would be so kind to make one? 🙄

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 6, 2022
As someone who's both a fan of hacks and nuzlocking. I want your best hacks to play this challenge in.

In my opinion, the good characteristics of a hack for this purpose are:

>Fine-tuned difficulty curve. everyone knows that vanilla games are designed so even children can beat them. A bigger sense of challenge can make the game more fun, but at the same time, a lot of difficulty hacks tend to go overboard with it and make it very hard for a player to beat them on Nuzlocke.

>Variety and balance. Gen 3 hacks with up to gen 8 abilities/pokemon/items/moves? That's great! Nobody wants to only find Zigzagoon and Poochyenna in the first 3 routes of the game. And at the same time, it's great when pokemon are rebalanced so that so many of them aren't useless and redundant. Move additions, extra stats, new typings and abilities all help.

>QoL. This one is subjective, but I guess that things like easier grinding, no need for HM slaves, etc make the experience more enjoyable overall.

So, what's your suggestions?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
So, what's your suggestions?

Gaia and Dreams are somewhat more challenging than the official games without being unbalanced or overly difficult. Those two may be suitable for that.

Unbound on the second difficulty could be also a good option, just don't pick third or fourth difficulty for a Nuzlocke unless you want to torture yourself or already know the game very well.

As for Pokémon availability, Gaia goes up to Gen 6, Dreams and Unbound up to Gen 7, so all of them have at least 600/700-ish Pokémon. But if you want something with Gen 8, in rom hacks there doesn't seem to be much besides Radical Red (definitely not for Nuzlockes), and maybe ROWE, the open world Emerald rom-hack, but I didn't try that one yet so no idea about its difficulty.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Sep 28, 2023
hi so ive always heard people tell me the usual big hacks to try like light platinum but i just dont have interest in those.. i dont know exactly what i do like i think its just stuff with a specific theme.. pokemon adventure red, fire red rocket edition, ash gray, orange islands, snakewood, sweet, etc. if you have any ideas lemme know

Years
Hey I'm gp i am hoping that someone would recommend me a rom hack/fan game without fakemon. I've played light platinum,dark rising series,flora sky ,dark realm, adventure red, fire red rocket edition and ash gray

I'd appreciate if it's a game which i can be champion or Gym leader or a villian

Awaiting your reply

Thanks in advance

😁

Back