• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

In your opinion who was the best girl to accompany Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2013
I choose Hikari/Dawn. Haruka/May comes in a close second. But overall I like Hikari/Dawn more because she is other than being basically a female version of Satoshi/Ash, she's pretty and cute too.

Years
Maaay! She's quirky and adorable. I loved her interactions with Ash and how close they'd gotten by the end of their travels. :3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
I definitely like May the most because I think she was developed the best as a character. Also, her Pokemon had the best personalities IMO. I mean, most of Misty's pokemon were bland (Staryu, Starmie, Gyarados, Goldeen, Horsea) and Iris barely has any to begin with. However, I do hold Misty close to my heart because she herself had a great personality. My other reason for liking May is that she had a true goal whereas Misty did not and Iris' "Dragon Master" goal is just very poorly developed especially when half her team is non-dragon to begin with. Dawn is great too, but she wasn't around long enough and, therefore, didn't get as much development as the other three who got Orange Islands/ Johto, the Battle Frontier, and the Decolora Islands in addition to their respective home-regions.

bulbasir

Just call me Mr. Sir...
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
Misty because I loved it when she would grab Brock's ear haha

Years
I'm totally old school, it will always be Misty for me. The perfect companion for Ash.
They had quite a fiery relationship, ups and downs but they had a lot of chemistry. Their friendship grew and they became quite close as a result. Imo nobody could ever replace her. ♥

Years
Without being totally nostalgic about things, I genuinely think Misty was the best central female character to appear throughout the entire series. I just couldn't quite like May or Dawn (at least, what I saw of them) due to the relatively silly reason that they basically added filler episodes by participating in contests and whatnot. Frankly I did not give a CRAP about contests, and so I couldn't respect their desires and aspirations. Misty generally was an interesting character without annoying me by generally creating needless extra episodes.

I know that there are generally DOZENS of episodes in any given series of Pokémon and I acknowledge that Misty had her share of episodes devoted to her that didn't necessarily add much to the plot of 'get the badges, get to the League!', however I just think she at least trumps May and Dawn as a trainer and as a character.

I can't speak much for Iris as I've seen very little of Best Wishes, but I have a feeling she'd take second place before May and Dawn, anyway.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
The best girl to travel with Ash is definitely Misty. A competitive gym leader as a battling partner would suit Ash better than coordinators May and Dawn. Iris may be a Dragon trainer but I would say she is still young and not as skilled as Misty. I may be biased in my opinion as I have watched Pokémon ever since I was a little kid so I really miss her in the anime. I understand that the personalities of the other girls are quite similar but I doubt they could ever replace Misty.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Probably May or Iris. Misty didn't do much in the series after a while and she hardly battled.

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Misty because,

A) Shes a classic
B)She has a much better story than the other girls with her sisters and her gym, etc
C) She used a corsola and who the hell uses corsolas

Years
Misty is my all time favourite. She was the funniest of them all, and also Ash's best friend.
She has shown herself to be a really dependable character in times of trouble like when everyone is stuck in St. Anne at the bottom of the sea, when the giant Tentacruel is destroying the city, when Ash and the others are in jail and she (along with Pikachu) gets them out, when Team Rocket attack her Gym in the middle of the ballet show, when Ash and Tracey are sick due to inhaling Stun Spore, etc...
She's also a great Pokemon trainer.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Misty for sure. She was the only one willing to slap some sense into that overly peppy Ash. May is a very close second though. Dawn is meh, she didn't seem to have as much personality as the other two.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Misty was the best for true. She had a great personality and she was more mature then May and Dawn put together, Iris comes in second place for being cool and mature, May comes in 3rd for having a little bit of a great personality and battling in pokemon contests, Dawn comes in 4th place because she just plain out had no personality and she was just annoying as hell..

Misty wins for being the best number 1 girl on the entire show.

Years
Totally Misty! She had a great personality and often brought Ash and Brock down to Earth, but was also a valuable and endearing friend to them. A good character in Pokemon is one who dreams big, can display many kinds of emotions, and most importantly, connects well with the other members of the group. I'd say Misty fits that description pretty darn well!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I wish this topic had a poll, so I could view who's the most popular most quickly.

I believe the best girl companion was Dawn. Both May and Dawn were improvements from Misty, because they actively had goals, just like Ash. The way Misty became friends with Ash, however, was the most creative and meaningful. I think Misty would be the best to ship with Ash, yet that's not what makes her the best companion.

Whereas May's coordinator experience was a straightforward approach contests, which were eerily similar to trainer battles, Dawn's experience had more focus on making the pokemon shine, and finding ways to make their moves flashy. I felt as though May was held back by Max, because a large part of her character was showing how she was a good older sister figure. With Dawn, she goofed around and made mistakes a lot. Having Piplup as a humorous companion was so successful that this role carried on to Ash's Oshawott.

Iris is my favorite gymleader, and I like her video game character much more than Dawn. Yet unbiasedly, I felt as though Iris was a step back, because her goals of becoming a dragon master was focused in much fewer episodes. One improvement of Iris was how she was a jungle-raised girl, and how she was (slightly) less clichély girly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I haven't watched much of BW so I have no major opinion on Iris. Misty May and Dawn were all good though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
It's a tie between May and Dawn for me. Least favorite is Iris, couldn't stand her constantly calling Ash a "kid"(newsflash missy, you're a kid too!), it wasn't funny, it just made her sound jerkish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back