• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Info: The Starting Pad [Rules, Guides, Q&A]

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
I don't think it would be too hard. If nothing else, you could always just make it like Percy Jackson and the Olympians and just have the gods and stuff start making babies with vikings for the heck of it. It would take a couple of days to read up on the lore that you don't know, but that's one of the funnest parts.

That or, do the Nerites trick and switch your desired god's gender around and make them nothing like the original deity :D

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I didn't ever think I'd see a day when the Roleplay Corner changed in such a way... But can I say, I'm loving the new setup already.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
uh-oh. Looks like there's been an update in my absence. It looks good though :D

So I'm curious about a few things:
A) Has a Yugioh role play ever been done before? I've been researching the duel monsters saga in Japanese (It suffered heavily in translation. Heck they we're too lazy and left out the last season of GX.) and have been wanting to make a story within that world. I've already got some ideas for how to keep people from making overpowered decks, by implementing an in game booster pack system.

B) Would it be allowed to use a battle simulator to decide the outcomes of battles (or duels.)
I don't see a problem with this as it removes the need for RPers to choose who wins or loses, while still retaining the fact that the Rper would still be battling, still choosing the moves, etc. Then when the battle is done, they write a post using the battle as a form of template.

Thanks <3
~Oddy-B

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
uh-oh. Looks like there's been an update in my absence. It looks good though :D

So I'm curious about a few things:
A) Has a Yugioh role play ever been done before? I've been researching the duel monsters saga in Japanese (It suffered heavily in translation. Heck they we're too lazy and left out the last season of GX.) and have been wanting to make a story within that world. I've already got some ideas for how to keep people from making overpowered decks, by implementing an in game booster pack system.

B) Would it be allowed to use a battle simulator to decide the outcomes of battles (or duels.)
I don't see a problem with this as it removes the need for RPers to choose who wins or loses, while still retaining the fact that the Rper would still be battling, still choosing the moves, etc. Then when the battle is done, they write a post using the battle as a form of template.

Thanks <3
~Oddy-B

I think the idea could work out, and I think it would also be fun to have the battles be simulated, but I think players can decide who wins on their own too. A Yugioh RP would be cool, I think. People would definitely be interested.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
um, hi. i have a question.
would it be possible for metagaming and maybe retconning to be added to the 'Useful Terms' section? i know they are probably listed in the guides, but since i can imagine a newbie roleplayer not going all out and reading everything there is to know, it would maybe be nice to at least bring those a bit more to the forefront?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
um, hi. i have a question.
would it be possible for metagaming and maybe retconning to be added to the 'Useful Terms' section? i know they are probably listed in the guides, but since i can imagine a newbie roleplayer not going all out and reading everything there is to know, it would maybe be nice to at least bring those a bit more to the forefront?

Is it bad I dont know what either of those mean ~_~

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
Is it bad I dont know what either of those mean ~_~

yeah, i actually used the term metagaming earlier, and then the person i was talking to had no idea either, haha. i tried to explain it below, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Metagaming means using OOC knowledge for IC behaviour.
For example if Person A writes their character is lying or hiding something from Person B, and then Person B in his post suddenly knows somehow and calls Person A out on it.

Retconning is acting as if a previous IC event never occurred.
Like when Person A's character got wounded badly, and the next day he's completely healed. Or when Person A and B were in an ugly fight, but then the next day they're all buddy-buddy again.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Retconning can also be a useful thing, say if an important character leaves and it would be weird to just say they died. The remaining cast can then pretend the char never existed instead.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll add them in when I'm on a computer, unless Mana is quicker :3

Years
Are there any rules or guidelines for a play-by-post format for roleplaying games that have more crunch, like Pathfinder/DnD, or something that implements mechanics from those?

If you're interested in D&D/Pathfinder, I highly recommend you visit the Tabletop Gaming Lounge in the Fan Clubs & Groups forum.

As for the kinds of mechanics you use here, that's mostly up to you. There's been very mechanic based RPs like Klippy's Outbreak that have been quite successful and also those with very few that have done well. The important thing to remember is that our roleplays are more like writing a collective story than anything.

The mods could probably answer you better, that's my two cents though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Are there any rules or guidelines for a play-by-post format for roleplaying games that have more crunch, like Pathfinder/DnD, or something that implements mechanics from those?
As long as you do the actual roleplaying here and can produce posts where stuff happen that feature at least 100 words, I'd say it's fine :) Use mechanics at your leisure.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
HELLO! I just want to apologize for being so absent lately. I'm currently finishing up my thesis at uni (will be defending it in a few days) and simply haven't got much time for PC. I still love you all and this place and everything and just wanted people to know one of their mods haven't abandoned them. Fight on, champs.

Beautiful-Rainbow-Day-Glitter.gif

SylveonStar

Sylveon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I am so happy to be back after so long :) got a little busy with my first year of college and I'm trying to plan my wedding for next year but my fiance told me to make time for this again

Years
How do I start a roleplay room?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "room". If you are looking to open up your own roleplay in the RPT though, you need to start by posting your Out of Character (OOC) thread in the Casting section. Then when you have enough players you can post the In Character (IC) thread in the Stage section.

Generally I would recommend participating in some RPs before making your own to get the hang of how things work here but that's by no means a requirement. You should still make sure you've taken a quick look at some other RPs, the rules and maybe some of the guides either way though. The latter two are available from the first page of this thread.

If by room you meant a chat room, then you can advertise that you're looking to participate in a casual RP in this thread here as well as see other people who are interested in doing the same.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I have no idea.

But that means that I can concentrate on my busy real life for a while longer. So off I go, see you guys in july :p <3

Back