• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y Likes and Dislikes/Disappointments thread

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Since the old thread died here's new one.
Has anything about these games stuck out to you? Do you like that thing or dislike it? Overall how do you rate this generation thus far? Do you have any disappointments?

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
No disappointments so far for me. I don't get why so many people dislike "Meethree" I like it. I would be a little disappointed if "Mewthree" was a new form of mewtwo rather than an entirely new pokemon. It seems to be an independent pokemon, but who knows. I'm just so excited for this generation. Can't wait till October! I think people are getting upset because there are going to be a lot of changes. But sometimes change is a good thing... I think this gen is gonna be great.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
There isn't enough information out about the games to give a definite list of likes and dislikes, other than the 3D aspects, Sylveon and the Newtwo.

Years
I don't know if I'll buy it, (unless there is some groundbreaking new changes to the battle formula), since the older you are, the more repetitive the games start to feel, and the less enjoyment you get out of them.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
^ I wouldn't agree entirely to that; Sure nostalgia might mess things up from time to time(that ol' 'I remember when there was only *low number* gen/s') because some of us have been with the games since the start, but I've genuinely been really excited each time a new gen is announced and while playing through them.

Maybe it's me but, even though the basics of the storylines have been the same(beat gyms, bad guys along the way, then beat the E4 and champion), each gen's story has had a pretty unique feeling to me; I look beyond the usual basics and enjoy the new evil team's motives, new people, new areas, etc. So long as they continue to improve things in general, each new region has felt fresh to me and I'm more than sure Gen 6 will be the same.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
So far So Good.Anything that comes close to a dissapointment is probably the Male Protagonist. He doesn't stand out from others.

Guy

just a guy
Years
There isn't enough information out about the games to give a definite list of likes and dislikes, other than the 3D aspects, Sylveon and the Newtwo.
Oh my gosh, Newtwo, I'm stealing that word until its real name is revealed.

When early scans of the movie posters came out with Newtwo, I was one of the many who were really hoping it would turn out fake. I thought that had it turned out real, it would have been my first disappointment. That being said, having seen a clearer image and the short trailer of it, I can safely say I like it more than I initially did at first. So, no complaints or disappointments from me!

I don't know if I'll buy it, (unless there is some groundbreaking new changes to the battle formula), since the older you are, the more repetitive the games start to feel, and the less enjoyment you get out of them.
I disagree to an extent. I can understand some old fans getting tired of the same formula every generation. GameFreak, however, has found something that really works for them, and going on six generations now it hasn't seemed to fail them yet. For long time fans like myself, we always know what to expect so it feels safe so-to-speak. At the same time, each generation is designed so differently that it doesn't always feel the same regardless of them all sticking to the same formula since Gen I. The addition of new Pokémon, new stories, a new region and new places, new people, and new game mechanics and enhancements really makes up for a lot of things that would otherwise feel bland after awhile.

Lugia's Shadow

Guardian of the Sea
Years
Everything so far imho is pretty good :D. Graphics, Pokemon, region (so far)...the only thing I don't really like are the main characters. They seem rather...regular. Also the full 3D, I wonder what changes will happen with the battle sims that are slowly growing in popularity, what will happen to our sprites?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I'll be honest, I'm disappointed that the new 3D type layout means we won't see the shrinking animation anymore. I know it's trivial but still.

I'm afraid too that the animations will make the battles feel really dragged out and ridiculously long. but I really like the battle animations usually so I'm torn :/

And one more thing I'm disappointed about is that they didn't bring back the pokemon following you around from Yellow/HG/SS. I want that brought back so badly!!!!!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I hope the graphics are a work in progress, as they look awful for a 3DS game. The system is powerful enough to do Colosseum/XD-like graphics and what we get it a below average-looking PSP game.

I'm not one to harp on graphics, but sometimes I do have to draw the line somewhere. I know that Pokemon games aren't the best looking games on a system, but even for these lower standards it's not good.

Everything else is fine so far however, although that "Mewtwo influenced" legendary does look a bit off.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
So far, I really like all of the pokemon they have released. They are all designed very well and most are cute! <3

I am excited about the 3D graphics. I have been wondering for years when they were going to stop using sprites (although I do like the sprite animation).

Years
No disappointments for me, thus far. I like everything, including the new Pokemon; if any of you noticed, though, when ever a Pokemon is shown battling in the new region, there's never any music playing.. It would REALLY suck if there wasn't any music, which I highly doubt will happen.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I'm disappointed in quite a bit to do with this generation, to be honest.

First of all, Sylveon. The fact that it's type is still unknown hints that they are likely going to add some gimmicky new type, you know, "Light" or "Good" or "Fairy" or something. Plus, the design of Sylveon is boring and uninspired, looking like a splice of Espeon, Milotic, and Victini.

Next we have the starters. Chespin is... okay, I guess. It's an odd design, not really notable, but not necessarily good either. If I do get one of these games, I'll probably choose it, because honestly, it just has the best aesthetic to it and seems like it could be at least slightly interesting, what with it's likely secondary type being Dark. Fennekin looks way too cutesy, even for a Pokemon. I don't like it at all, but I don't really hate it either. It's just not my thing. However, Fennekin does have the possibility of winning back some respect for Game Freak, due to the fact that it doesn't look like it'll be yet another Fire/Fighting combo. Froakie... good lord. It's design is just embarrassing. It's not like Game Freak can't do frogs, either. They've proven that they can create good frogs with Politoed, so why is this thing so ugly? Now, I must stress, the evolutions aren't out yet, so I can only predict what they may be. Who knows, Froakie's final form could be a complete badass. However, just from a first-form standpoint, I'd have to say that Chespin is the most bearable.

Finally, that horrendous Mewtwo form. And, I'm not even saying that giving Mewtwo a form was that bad of an idea. Sure, I generally dislike forms for their gimmicky nature, but a new form for Mewtwo actually had a bit of potential. The original Mewtwo looked very intimidating and alien, and a new form could look even more so. But what do they give us? They give us a strange, ponytail-headed oddball. The new form actually looks weaker than Mewtwo, with the cold, slitted eyes of the original Mewtwo contrasting with the giant, bulbous "ANIMOO" eyes of the new form.

I guess the two version legendaries revealed are alright, I certainly don't hate them like I do the new Mewtwo form, but I certainly don't like them either.

To be honest, though, none of this really surprises me much; I've been losing interest in the series once Generation III ended. It just seems like the generations have been getting worse and worse. I fear that some day soon, Pokemon will become the new Sonic: Old, tired, lacking in creativity, and in desperate need of ending.

tnfsf11

I guess the only disappointment for me so far is Newmew, I kinda liked it at first but then I saw the video of the original Mewtwo transforming to Newmew & I honestly prefer the original one.
I believe GF was trying too hard to please the nostalgia fanboys by giving Mewtwo a new form but it ended up looking like a bottle opener :P but I appreciate that they went back to some of the old pokes...

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
I agree that the male protagonist looks rather bland, hopefully though he (and she) is customisable,
and what we've seen so far from him is just the basic template.

But I also have to agree with Para-Dox, the graphics looks very disappointing. (Though, oddly, the battle graphics looked way better)

Especially when comparing it to other 3DS games:
Pokemon-XY-1.png

large.jpg

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
The only disappointment that I have as of now is the new Mewtwo forme. It just seemed to unnecessary... I like the design and everything but it just seems so out of place and it kind of annoys me that they're now slapping formes on Pokemon as old as Mewtwo.

Anyway, I'm excited for the battles and the entire overworld. I'm a little hesitant about how big of a change it's going to be compared to what we've been used to for the past 15 years, which has essentially been the same screen revamped, while this seems like something straight out of the GameCube games. I'm excited for that, just not the adjustment phase :(

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
Me, I like everything, yes, the trainers/players, the new types(?), Pokemon, forms, and graphics. Except for too little information for so long...

Back