• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's up with Iris?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
From what I've heard, a lot of people hate Iris or find her annoying. So why do people hate Iris so much?
I personally find her "little kid" bit rather annoying, Though I think it's pretty neat she can swing from vines and stuff and she seems to have a sense of adventure. Though she isn't my favorite of Ash's female companions by far.

So I was wondering...

Do you like Iris yourself? If not explain why. Also ,why do you think people hate her?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I like Iris more then any of the other companions. I find her more interesting, and she certainly has more room to grow as a character then May or Dawn did.

I can see why others would hate her though. She does get rather annoying at times, but overall I like her as a character.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like Iris. Her relationship with Ash is similar to Ash's relationship with Misty because they initially insult him, but warm up to him later on; Misty originally directed her anger at Ash, while Iris calls Ash a kid for not knowing common things.

Years
Despite what most people think of her, I actually love Iris. Especially her hair, cos it resembles iris flowers in real life.

I like Dawn better but Iris is my second fave of the female companions cos I find her interesting not to mention she has a mix of cute Pokemon (Axew, Emolga) and some powerhouses (Dragonite, Excadrill).

The "What a kid" quotes can get annoying but at least she's fun to watch.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Don't say ''What's up with Iris?'' She can't reach up far.

Anyway, I like her, in a way.
To me she is just another misty placeholder.
But good character, different to posed as in the games.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I like Iris more then any of the other companions. I find her more interesting, and she certainly has more room to grow as a character then May or Dawn did.
Can't say too much for Dawn, but May did develop nicely for a short while, which I would say is remarkable when you compare the other characters of the anime. *cough*ash*cough*

I don't like Iris all that much. The writers seem to focus on weird things for Iris, especially with Axew knowing insanely strong moves. I don't know why they're beating around the bush and not letting poor Axew evolve, so Iris focuses more on other dragons than she does for Axew. That makes me side-eye her character overall, but it's not overly bearing, so it's somewhat tolerable. However, Iris isn't my type of character. I don't like her personality, so I don't like her nor do I find her design all that great to look at.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I hate Iris. She's just...exactly that, annoying. Personally for me, I dind't find Dawn or May as annoying, even Misty who sometimes I felt was a tad irritating wasn't as anooying for me as I find Iris now. Iris think she knows everything, when really she doesn't.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I have mixed feelings about her.

On one hand, she's a halfway decent person that loves her Pokémon, or at least tries to understand them.

On another, she's a cocky little brat that calls others a kid, when, spoiler alert: she's one herself.

So, in a way, I can understand why people hate her, but there are worse people around, like Burgundy & Georgia. These two are the worst.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Can't say too much for Dawn, but May did develop nicely for a short while, which I would say is remarkable when you compare the other characters of the anime. *cough*ash*cough*

I don't like Iris all that much. The writers seem to focus on weird things for Iris, especially with Axew knowing insanely strong moves. I don't know why they're beating around the bush and not letting poor Axew evolve, so Iris focuses more on other dragons than she does for Axew. That makes me side-eye her character overall, but it's not overly bearing, so it's somewhat tolerable. However, Iris isn't my type of character. I don't like her personality, so I don't like her nor do I find her design all that great to look at.
That's one issue I have as well. They give Axew beastly moves, but they don't give it adequate development episodes to hone such skills. We have seen it develop Dragon Rage and that was about it. The thing is though we haven't seen much Scraggy development either so its not as a big deal since neither of them have really got much development, cause irrc last battle or key battle for Scraggy was Brycen. Think they are going for a part Pikachu/Piplup thing with Axew and we just don't need that. He already expressed his willingness to evolve since the episode dealing with Dreamyard early on, so not evolving him would be a mistake in my mind. And like you said they focus more on her with other Dragons such as Emmy Druddigon, Deino at the Daycare, the Zweilous/Hydregion she deals with in the upcoming episode. Then even her own pokemon overshadow Axew especially Dragonite as of late who apparently is her go too pokemon now? Yeah focus on Axew wanting to become Haxorus.

For me Iris as a Character I am fine with. And yeah she says "What a Kid" but all of them have their quirks that we don't generally care for. She seems to change the pace of coordinators back too tomboy like gymleaders, which is kind of welcomed to me by now. Iris also has a jungle girl aspect that interests me as well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Iris is definitely not my favorite companion. While I do find her extremely annoying at times, I find Cilan even more annoying, so I guess he distracts from her. Also, there are moments where she isn't annoying and is just a female placeholder, so I don't really have much of an opinion on her other than her annoying character at certain times.

I don't really get why she doesn't use Axew more. He wants to evolve, though I guess that won't happen because they I guess need the 3 travelers to have 3 unevolved cute companions. I also think it's kinda weird that he stays in Iris's hair, but w/e.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I don't really hate her, but I don't really love her either. I haven't watched the anime yet so I don't know much about her, but I battled her once and I think she's pretty strong. The bad news was that I hate her design, from the hair to the clothing.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Well.... she's just too peppy in my opinion. Yeah the "little kid thing can be over the top and annoying at times. And how she barely has any developement from her goal as a Dragon Master. And for Axew, it knows like the strongest moves to man even though it's a very young Pokemon(Giga Impact towards Garchomp that it landed a single, strong hit, and Outrage). It's not just right. And I agree with her design and her personality, though she's kind of cute.

Years
I like Iris. In my opinion she is by far the funniest girl to show up and she is the only one to really have a friend relation to Ash, since Misty and May had kind of a mother attitude towards the "gang" and Dawn (in my oppinion) was supposed to be a "crush". Irish is by far the less feminine of the group (even though Misty wasn't very girly either) and she finally escaped from the stereotype of girls having to take part on contests (which is a clear reference to beauty contests) and share the same ambition as Ash, to be the best trainer/dragon master.

Back