• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Favorite Fakemon Hacks?

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2014
I am quite curious, because it seems as though many people around the community here don't care for the use of Fakemon, but there are still quite a few successful hacks starring/using them. And, I myself like the use of them, it feels as though the people making the hack of a room are just THAT much more creative in done aspects, plus it seems more personal, not to mention it's likea whole new challenge in discovering their move sets, strengths and weaknesses. So, what is your favorite fakemon hack? And if you don't have one, why? (Also, if this thread doesn't belong here let me know, I figured it would since it involves hacks..)

Years
Personally I don't really mind the use of Fakemon in hacks, but when Nintendo have such a large amount to use now, I just think there's not much of a point now. Furthermore, people who use Fakemon in their hacks tend to jump the gun a bit with their releases, and show off just a few Fakemon amidst a tonne of older Pokémon, with little gameplay/no real chance to come to like the Fakemon.

I think people should try to follow the example set by official games: I'm not expecting a Black and White from everyone (where the dex comprises ENTIRELY of new/Fakemon) but ideally the starters would be replaced, along with the standard bird/rodent equivalents, etc, as opposed to using starters everyone knows, and having one or two weird Fakemon in the first route (along with Pidgey and Zigzagoon).

ShadowMrk

Intangible
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
I remember Pokemon Topaz having a majority of its Pokedex filled with Fakemon. Not a bad game, in my opinion. It was fun being able to play a Pokemon game where I didn't already know everything about every single Pokemon in the game, so in that aspect, I do like Fakemon hacks. On the other hand, alot of Fakemon hacks I've seen have had Fakemon that were terribly drawn. The palettes didn't look good, the general picture just wasn't good, and they didn't really blend in with the canon Pokemon, so it felt like you were actually playing a hack instead of a Pokemon game. Not to say that I think every Pokemon hack should reflect the official games exactly, but personally I like to there to be at least a small amount of resemblance to them. So, to answer the question, I'd have to say Pokemon Topaz. Everything else in the game was kind of lackluster, seeing as most of the maps only had minor alterations from the original maps, and the dialogue was horrendous, but I genuinely enjoyed it mainly because of the Fakemon.

Archeops

Pixel artist and hack player
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
My favorite is by FAR Pokémon Vega, a masterpiece of a hack. Sure, it's Japanese, but it's SO professional that, whether you understand it or not, it's a must to play. It takes place in a whole new, arctic region, made from scratch with completely new tiles. There is a physical/special split and beside the Fakémon, there are also fake moves. A LOT of new moves, even, a lot of which I'm surprised Nintendo haven't come up with yet. There is a large number of Fakémon related to existent Pokémon; these evolutions usually have fantastic designs and are seriously powerful, much like a lot of other Fakémon. The overall Fakémon designs are flat-out fantastic and incredibly creative, with some of the best fake Starters and Legendaries ever, in my opinion. The music in this hack, though. It's such a delight to hear Pokémon Vega's music, as it's so varied from Route to Route, from battle to battle... I mean, from a hyperintense Gym Leader theme to perhaps the most sinister music possible for a Pokémon villain.

All in all, Pokémon Vega has given me a VERY good outlook on ROM hacking and has shown me how incredibly talented fangames can be. I recommend this gem of a hack to everyone on this forum. Go play this game and spread the word of it.

On a side note: Pokémon Vega has two predecessors, two Emerald hacks named Altair and Sirius. The successor hacks to Vega, Pokémon Procyon and Deneb, are in development.

tiggytiggy122

ThatGamerSype
Years
I'm personally gonna go with Pokemon Light Platinum, the game's a bit buggy, but it has great scripting and events. It's the best pokemon hack i've ever played. i also think its cool because it has pokemon from gen 1-5

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Ruby Destiny-Life of Guardians Has fakemon..It stars Fakemons and It still is one of the best hacks ever created

Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2014
Pokemon Quartz and Topaz are two of my favourite hacks of all time, and both replace every pokemon in the standard ruby pokedex with something unique. Some of the fakes are better than others, but those two are just such a pleasure to play. I also enjoy the addition of a few fakes among standard pokemon (and maybe some gen 4's/5's if they're in) such as in RD-LoG and especially in Snakewood.

Hehe, whole lot of ruby hacks there xD I feel I should mention Bara's firered hack too, cause despite the fact that the game itself was never finished, the dex was. In fact, Quartz version replaced all 386 (is that right?) pokemon with fakemon, over 100 of which the player would never even see until Marble version.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 12, 2014
I can't seem to find the Pokemon Vega ROM anywhere and the ones I found where in Japanese but i looked at the Pokedex and it seems amazing. I don't know if I'm allowed to ask (I'm a new member) but, do you know Where I may find the English version of Pokemon Vega?

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I think there is an English version of Vega currently in development now. that aside:

I think Vega's fakemon are very well designed, and well, considering I've only ever played 2 Pokemon hacks, it has to be Vega.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 12, 2014
Do the even at least have the English Version of Pokemon Altair ?

phoenix3023

I LovE GaminG [CS 1.6] :D
Years
I Also like Fakemon to some extent.If they are nicely drawn, the rom can become better giving a feel of an entirely new region.But we should mostly stick to the originals, as most people know how to use them and handle with ease :D :P

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Do Touhoumon count as fakemon? If so those are really nicely done, but few hacks actually use them extremely well.

Also Vega. Must play, even if you can't read it there are some walkthroughs available.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Personally I am not a big fan of Fakemon. But from what I see on here even though I dislike Fakemon I'll give Pokemon Vega a try when it comes out in English.
As for my favorite hacks would be Pokemon Brown, Pokemon Dark Rising (loved the difficulty, was a bit frustrating though), Light Platinum, and Pokemon Adventure Red Red's Chapter, it's still being finished up but it great, if you like the manga then I recommend it as it follows the manga perferctly.

Back