• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I was able to make my avatar thanks to your tutorial. Well done!

I don't know whether that thing's a Pokemon or not, but it looks great! Unfortunately, paired with your name, I can't help but imagine it wrapped around my neck... o~o

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Pokemon tend to have instantly-recognizable faces. Even things that wouldn't normally have faces, like Metapod, Shellder, Clamperl... maybe you could angle the head so that it's looking at where an opponent would be, give it some kind of mouth. I don't know what kind of worm or whatever it's supposed to be, but Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, and Burmy all have distinct facial features.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Probably because the original image contains dozens to hundreds of colors, and you have to judge which will become which shade in the finished sprite. What, specifically, are you having trouble with?

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I have suggestion for a tutorial chesu Tiles!
It would be great for many spriters to try doing tiles and I believe you could be able to make a tutorial like that~

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Actually, tiles are already on the list of upcoming tutorials.

Special Sprites

Back Sprites

Coming soon! (priority: B)

Overworld Sprites

Coming soon! (priority: C)

Props

Coming soon! (priority: B)

Background Tiles

Coming soon! (priority: C)

If you happen to think of anything else that you could use a tutorial for, though, let me know!

~Magnus~

Platinum FC: 4683-5731-9795
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 27, 2010
Dang your also working on a Calf for Miltank and Tauros :( Here's what i have...(BTW i suck) I saw you made one so decided to screw making my own...

wlre4i.jpg

(I was about to add Turtwig's leafs as ears, Meditate's ears made it look like a sheep xD)
nboi7a.jpg

PS Good Guide, I'm going to need it xD

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Very nice. I wish I had some better C&C, but all I can say is that you explain your steps very well/ Plus, you branch out to all the sprites which earns you top points. All that I have to wine about is that they aren't D/P/Pt, but that's just me being a butt-head.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Hey, I have a suggestion: why not add a more advanced texture-shading part to your tutorial? Because I see lots of people shading things with complete disregard to texture, when in fact there's lots of different nuances for stuff like fire, ice, fur, scales, etc. that aspiring spriters should know. If you don't feel like it (or you're busy working on the background tiles-- something I'm really looking forward to, btw), I could do it as a guest-tutorial if you wanted. :3

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
GFA, I'm sorry to break it to you, but... I actually hate D/P/Pt's sprites! XD
I mean, they're nice, big, and colorful, but I prefer the GBA color palette and sizing... it has a certain charm, I suppose. The reason for making these tutorials in the first place was to help people working on GBA rom hacks, and it's easy to adjust a sprite to DS-style coloring and shading, so I'm not really worried about it.

Zeph, if you would like to make a guest tutorial, that would be fantastic! I'm more or less the sole spriter for Pokemon Dissension, and I have about fifty trainer sprites left to make, along with overworld sprites and background tiles. I'm also writing all of the dialog, and constantly bouncing ideas back and forth with the programmer, so I don't have a great amount of time for writing tutorials.

So, if you want to write it, just PM it to me when you're done and I'll put it up. The format I use for the images is cropped as closely as possible, with a transparent background. Also, I couldn't help but notice that you're in my hair... I shave my head, so you must be in my beard. What are you doing in my beard?! >:0

edit: Hey, this was my one hundredth post! I'm so glad that I got to say beard in it!

Last edited:

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Wahahaa! Meany! I guess I didn't realize you were trying to stick to GBA...

Eos Aduro

The Kid with the Bullet Soul
Years
Well this helped me immensely!! I managed to make my first semi-recognizable fakemon with it! i've been doing fusions and recolors for ages, but this was the major switch for me to continue with Fakemon! I present...

Fakemon2.png

This squidish thing (I hate its feet, but whatever!)

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Ha! Wow, you don't see one of those every day! The back leg seems a bit too far forward, though... it doesn't really look like it can support the creature's weight in that position.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Another auggestion how about make a tut on how to pick palettes
Beacause it is hard for most people to pick the right palettes

Last edited:

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Hi Chesu, it's Hazzamon here. I'm working on a project in the Game-Making thread. I don't want to explaninit all but you play as a meerkat (Don't ask, it's all in this thread) and I'm working on a heavily modified Sentret sprite. I haven't added colou, shading or even facial details so before I do, your opinion on it.
EDIT: Fogot to add sprite :P It's in the attachment.

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011

Just mix and match official palettes until you get the hang of what your palettes should look like.

Back