• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shining Opal [FULL GAME RELEASED]

KidMartian

Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
one of the first hacks ever played! just wish it wasnt so hard to level up mikachu!

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
The 1-year anniversary of Shining Opal's restart is today... and my birthday's tomorrow!
Anyways, I'm sorry to inform everyone that there will not be a new release around this time. I wish that there could be something done, but...

Shining Opal's new expected release date for the Beta 2 Remake is Jan.-Feb. of 2011.
There may not be any new screenshots (mostly because I'm too lazy :P), but rest assured that I am doing as much as possible to get the Beta 2 Remake done. :D

swarage

bros w/ Sneasel + Primeape
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2012
d00d, theres a bug in tha gaem, whenever i try to look at mikachus summary the game crashes

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Some of the mapping was a bit wierd, *coughroute2cough* but other than that it was good. Try messing around with the palettes a bit more though... Sometimes they clash and it doesn't look right. But, you have a good game. I'll be waiting for the next beta!

Sierraffinity

Years
Some of the mapping was a bit wierd, *coughroute2cough* but other than that it was good. Try messing around with the palettes a bit more though... Sometimes they clash and it doesn't look right. But, you have a good game. I'll be waiting for the next beta!
Well, Beta 2 was released when I had close to no knowledge of how to hack, hence the strangeness everywhere. Beta 3 has been reimagined from the ground up, and so everything will actually make SENSE! :D

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Ah. I'll be playing beta 3 then, and see how that is.

I know how you feel with re-building everything. My (soon-to-be-on) hack has been deleted, demolished (by me), rebuilt, and demolished multiple times. But, it does usually fix the hack :)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Your hack has come a long way diego, it is looking very nice. I like the new title screen it is unique in that the pokemon is on the left side, and is showing it's back.(In stead of the conventional front view) I like the pal changes in the Oke intro (and presumably the tile map too). However, I dislike your overworld character. It looks like a blue version of the original hero. I'm glad that you have incorporated D&N it's a nice touch, and adds to the realism of the game. I like the dynamic storyline but try to stay away from a walk-through. Also I'm not a big fan of forced starter pokemon, but it unique, as most people do the choice of 3. I think your lacking in ideas for your 'evil team' so you say vague things about them, that just seems meaningless to the readers. Try developing a side story for them. I feel like your storyline starts off okay but then becomes ambiguous. You should try developing a more interesting plot that people can get excited for; and stur up emotions. Overall I find this to be a very interesting hack, I hope you address the things that I brought up, and you can find my post to be beneficial. This hack is getting better, and better every time I visit; you have my full utmost support.

~Narutoactor

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Here is something I made for the Pokedex page for Mikachu on the offical site. This would look much better then that small sprite image there:

Mikachu.png

And here's something else I did in my spare time.

shiningopal.png

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
Ah. I'll be playing beta 3 then, and see how that is.

I know how you feel with re-building everything. My (soon-to-be-on) hack has been deleted, demolished (by me), rebuilt, and demolished multiple times. But, it does usually fix the hack :)
Yeah, it usually does Like this one.
Where can I Download it.Because I think its a really good hack.Who Mikachu!!Is Mew whit Pikachu right.Wow awesome!Good luck!
o15.com. And yes, it is.
Your hack has come a long way diego, it is looking very nice. I like the new title screen it is unique in that the pokemon is on the left side, and is showing it's back.(In stead of the conventional front view) I like the pal changes in the Oke intro (and presumably the tile map too). However, I dislike your overworld character. It looks like a blue version of the original hero. I'm glad that you have incorporated D&N it's a nice touch, and adds to the realism of the game. I like the dynamic storyline but try to stay away from a walk-through. Also I'm not a big fan of forced starter pokemon, but it unique, as most people do the choice of 3. I think your lacking in ideas for your 'evil team' so you say vague things about them, that just seems meaningless to the readers. Try developing a side story for them. I feel like your storyline starts off okay but then becomes ambiguous. You should try developing a more interesting plot that people can get excited for; and stur up emotions. Overall I find this to be a very interesting hack, I hope you address the things that I brought up, and you can find my post to be beneficial. This hack is getting better, and better every time I visit; you have my full utmost support.

~Narutoactor
Thanks for the long message. Your constructive criticism really helped.
A lot of your complaints are adressed in the Beta 2 Redux, though!
Here is something I made for the Pokedex page for Mikachu on the offical site. This would look much better then that small sprite image there:

Mikachu.png

And here's something else I did in my spare time.

shiningopal.png
Nice, thanks. Although, what's with the forest on the bottom one, and I changed the title screen since that version.

And now... What you've all been waiting for for two years (about)...
Updates - 4/5/2011

It's here. The day is finally here.
I told myself that I would get the new version out quickly... and here it is!
Download in the first post!

I can't believe it any more than you can. :D
PS: A ton of stuff is just temporary, like the Psytric overworlds and all the gym leader sprites.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
Hey Diego, just downloaded the new beta and it is AWESOME! :P I've been waiting for ages for something to come out to be honest, anyways I just arrived in Vantrek city, may I ask, how long this beta goes for? Good luck in the future with this hack :)

nml

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
I played this hack and I didn't reach the end of beta, there are 2 reasons of that.

First of all when I first saw Mikachu I thought "Hurray, I have a starter who is psychic type, so it would have decent special attack and special defense. Who knows maybe it would have special attack like Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam". I couldn't be more wrong. It's best stats turned out to be... defense. Next is attack. Specials are Mikachu's inferior stats. Just like Geodude, but I don't try to learn Geodude attacks like thunderbolt or confusion.
It turns out, that my Mikachu on 18 level was to weak to battle 16 level Raticate, it's madness.

However it's not all. I could always throw it on PC, to die forgotten on the last place in party, and battle with other captured pokemons, but there are very few pokemons who would be valuable (Most of them were normal and bugs type) and level of enemies was too high. Just before the second gym wild pokemons were about 19 level, and gym leader/rival has 30 level pokemons. Does that mean that in 8 gym there would be 120 level pokemon? In normal game that level is reached around 5 or 6 gym.
That makes game really irritating and finally when I discovered that gym leader have 30 level Nuzleaf (Dark type :(), who beats easily my team - 28 Mikachu, 29 Graveler, 21 Poliwag and 14 Pineco, and having in mind how much time I spent leveling my party, I simply gave up and searched for better hack.

I comment this hack mainly because it was first hack I played, which wasn't (upgraded) remake and I was attracted by this fakemon starter, cause those 2 things and poor dialogues (Especially rival.) doesn't encourage to wait for more. But hey, I'm new here, so maybe I have too big expectations.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I played this hack and I didn't reach the end of beta, there are 2 reasons of that.

First of all when I first saw Mikachu I thought "Hurray, I have a starter who is psychic type, so it would have decent special attack and special defense. Who knows maybe it would have special attack like Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam". I couldn't be more wrong. It's best stats turned out to be... defense. Next is attack. Specials are Mikachu's inferior stats. Just like Geodude, but I don't try to learn Geodude attacks like thunderbolt or confusion.
It turns out, that my Mikachu on 18 level was to weak to battle 16 level Raticate, it's madness.

However it's not all. I could always throw it on PC, to die forgotten on the last place in party, and battle with other captured pokemons, but there are very few pokemons who would be valuable (Most of them were normal and bugs type) and level of enemies was too high. Just before the second gym wild pokemons were about 19 level, and gym leader/rival has 30 level pokemons. Does that mean that in 8 gym there would be 120 level pokemon? In normal game that level is reached around 5 or 6 gym.
That makes game really irritating and finally when I discovered that gym leader have 30 level Nuzleaf (Dark type :(), who beats easily my team - 28 Mikachu, 29 Graveler, 21 Poliwag and 14 Pineco, and having in mind how much time I spent leveling my party, I simply gave up and searched for better hack.

I comment this hack mainly because it was first hack I played, which wasn't (upgraded) remake and I was attracted by this fakemon starter, cause those 2 things and poor dialogues (Especially rival.) doesn't encourage to wait for more. But hey, I'm new here, so maybe I have too big expectations.

I agree with this, the start was in fact cool, but then later on, I had to cheat to beat this beta, I recommend editing Mikachu's stats and wild pokemon/Gym Leaders pokemon, etc. It was just way to hard to beat without cheating...

Years
I played this hack today and it looks good but there are few things I am not glad with. First, Mikachu´s attacks are: lv5- confusion, thundershock; lv.7 teleport, lv.10 transform, lv.17 iron tail, lv.20 safeguard, lv.28 thunderbolt and more (i suppose). But my Mikachu have following stats: HP 78, ATT 44, DEF 37, SP.ATK 39, SP.DEF 33, SPD 44. I think that pokemon who can learn thunderbolt or more non-physical attacks (maybe psychic (?)) can have bigger special attack and defense than normal. Yes, he has Iron Tail, but its only physical attack. And I had few problems with more powerful trainers about that strange forest where was gym leader (second, if I am right!) with Nuzleaf lv.30 and Tropius lv.32. Oh my GOD! How the hell I can beat him with my Mikachu lv. 28 with low special attack? With iron tail which still misses? or with 25 thunderbolts? (I suppose that leader has 1 or more Super potion) Dont you think its slightly strong?

All in this beta looks good graphically but those things make me feel strange about it. I hope you will edit those things because I like your hack and your work. I wish you a good luck and many new betas! :-)

I am sorry for my english I know it isnt good :(

Sierraffinity

Years
Hey Diego, just downloaded the new beta and it is AWESOME! :P I've been waiting for ages for something to come out to be honest, anyways I just arrived in Vantrek city, may I ask, how long this beta goes for? Good luck in the future with this hack :)
This beta goes to the fourth city and a little beyond.
Thanks for the comment!
Great job, congratulations on the new beta! Glad to see you're still alive, ha ha. :p
Me? Dead? :O
Gonna try this later! I hope it will get me hooked!
Me too!
Yey! New release. Can't wait to play. *Goes to download*
Great! Can't wait to hear your feedback!

I agree with this, the start was in fact cool, but then later on, I had to cheat to beat this beta, I recommend editing Mikachu's stats and wild pokemon/Gym Leaders pokemon, etc. It was just way to hard to beat without cheating...

I played this hack today and it looks good but there are few things I am not glad with. First, Mikachu´s attacks are: lv5- confusion, thundershock; lv.7 teleport, lv.10 transform, lv.17 iron tail, lv.20 safeguard, lv.28 thunderbolt and more (i suppose). But my Mikachu have following stats: HP 78, ATT 44, DEF 37, SP.ATK 39, SP.DEF 33, SPD 44. I think that pokemon who can learn thunderbolt or more non-physical attacks (maybe psychic (?)) can have bigger special attack and defense than normal. Yes, he has Iron Tail, but its only physical attack. And I had few problems with more powerful trainers about that strange forest where was gym leader (second, if I am right!) with Nuzleaf lv.30 and Tropius lv.32. Oh my GOD! How the hell I can beat him with my Mikachu lv. 28 with low special attack? With iron tail which still misses? or with 25 thunderbolts? (I suppose that leader has 1 or more Super potion) Dont you think its slightly strong?

All in this beta looks good graphically but those things make me feel strange about it. I hope you will edit those things because I like your hack and your work. I wish you a good luck and many new betas! :-)

I am sorry for my english I know it isnt good :(
Urrrgh. I knew I forgot something.
My trainer/wild Pokémon/stats guy was supposed to fix all of this, but I completely forgot to hand the ROM over to him. I'll give it to him in a bit, and then upload the new version soon. Expect for your complaints to be addressed shortly!

Back