• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Snivy, Oshawott, or Tepig?

Years
tumblr_n8aux8gZCM1tqjlnao1_500.jpg

This precious baby. I didn't care for it at all at first but eventually Serperior grew on me and it's become one of my favorite grass starters. Swords Dance + Leaf Blade has served me pretty well up until now.

Though Oshawott was my first starter in Unova and I like him a lot as well, but.. Snivy is just the best. <3

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Iprefer Oshawott as my go to Pokemon in Gen V. I find Serperior to be too frail, Emboar is powerful, but I wwould have preferred if it had better speed and a better Sp.Ark for its fire type moves. Samurott got awesome Speed, is okay defensively and a great speed for its Atk and Sp.Atk.

ShiningHelioptile

Powered by Netflix
Years
Design wise, I like the Snivy evolution line the best. I picked it in my first play through of Black. However, its move pool lacks that much variety. Contrary is good for Leaf Storm on Serperior, though. I like the Samurott line's design the best mainly because of the whole samurai thing, and I also think they're pretty good in battle. I've never used the Tepig line, and I admit it's only because of they're design that draws me away.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Oshawott was my chouice and it was a good one. I feel that Oshawott is the most balanced of the starters. If you play your moveset right, your pretty much set for the most part. X - Scissor, Sacred Sword, Ice beam, any water type move. I was set.

Tepig, to me would never be a good choice. Fire/Fighting is just asking for trouble. One Earthquake and your pretty much finished.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 23, 2017
I went for Oshawott. Named him Oshy. :3 The name was cute until I evolved him... :/

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I went for Oshawott initially purely for Samurott, which is my favourite fully-evolved starter. Overall design-wise Snivy's line is the strongest, with no real weak links. Pignite, Dewott and Oshawott are pretty awful in my opinion. I'd actually rank the starters Tepig > Snivy > Oshawott, but Oshawott overcompensates by evolving into the most awesome 3rd stage.

I agree with the general consensus that making Pignite/Emboar part Fighting-type was a bad shout, but I did like what they did by making them slower and harder-hitting than Blaziken and Infernape - Infernape's typing actually irritated me more as whilst it was a cool design it just completely out-competed Blaziken in battle, whereas Emboar's a different creature entirely.

AmyTheOddball

Aspiring Author
Years
When I get Black, I'm going to go for Oshawott - his/her design and evolutions are awesome. If I then get White, I'm going to go for Snivy :3 This might change by the time I get the games aha.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2024
I chose Snivy for both my Black and Black 2 first time playthroughs. I then chose Tepig for my second Black playthrough and Oshawott on Black 2.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
oshawatt is my personal choice. its speed and attack are very good and it makes up for it's low defensive stats by gaining experience quicker than the other 2. it was my first lvl 100, now i have 12 lvl 100

Years
When I first saw the first-stage starters, Snivy was my immediate favourite but when I saw the final evos I liked Samurott as well haha so I picked Snivy in Black and Oshawott in White 2 :)

I think Megas for all starters eventually could be an inevitability and who knows, it might make me like Emboar (my least fave) more :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I chose Oshawott the first time. I was going for Snivy at first, but when I saw Oshawott in the anime, I instantly fell for its cuteness. Luckilly, I got a female Oshawott on my first try. Good nature too. :)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I only liked Snivy and Oshawott, but went with Oshawott in the end. Like Cadance, my impressions of Oshawott were drawn on from the anime. I saw how adorable Ash's Oshawott was, so decided to have my own.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Tepig for sure. It was the starter I started off with on both sets of games. I even named it Eminem, symbolic of something. It was definitely the most fun starter of all because it had cool effectiveness early on whereas the others were harder to use (tho fire is normally meant to be hardest!) More people should've used Emboar, it really was the best. :)

Also I like part fighting, it made Emboar much cooler and so much more useful in game with the normal gym leaders and so on (even like against Clay etc). It proved to be a good decision to me, who cares if fire/fighting is overdone, Emboar was worth it.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
When the starters were first leaked, I LOVED Oshawott. Now, I don't care for it much at all. It's not as cute as I thought it was, and it's just kinda there for me. Now, I really like Tepig. It's cute, and a lot better in battle than Oshawott and its evo line. Design-wise, Snivy's line is my favorite but they are just sooo awful in battle it's hard to look past.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 12, 2015
I picked oshawott on my first runthrough, and was pretty disappointed. it could have just been a bad nature or IVs maybe, but samurott was pretty underwhelming. or is average the right word?
now I like tepig the most. I don't understand why so many hate emboar! it looks awesome. it has a fire beard and gauntlets and stuff. I don't even care about its typing ;A; I always pick tepig in 5th gen nuzlockes and give it the name 'panties' (because it looks like it has them on)
snivy though definitely should've been given dragon type.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
For me, I went with Tepig for both White and Black 2. Thought it was going to suck at first but it actually ended up proving its worth once it fully evolved and learned Heat Crash.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
Fire type is my most favorite so i pick Tepig..its final evolution is pretty cool and yea., i really want to see it in mega evolution..

Years
My personal favorite is tied between oshawott and snivy because they both are really dear to me. Gen 5 being my favorite it's a really tough choice. I can't only choose one!
Design: Well there oshawott gets the cake! BUT on their final stage i'd pick Serperior over samurott any day!
Competitively: Hmmm now this one is a bit tough, since both of these pokemon can do really well, serperior can sweep with its contrary+leafstorm combo, but on the other hand samurott is more reliable since bunch of things resists grass types.
Mega evolution: ALL OF EM! Even that chubby emboar that is getting so much hate,he is the most useful one to beat the game, tho!

Sirfetch’d

I chose Oshawott because Hikari inspired me (:

Really though I would have picked Oshawott anyways. I pick the water starter 99% of the time that I start a new generation. It's the safe pick and can always learn a good array of moves to help you in game.

Years
I choosed Oshavott, but I regretted it...Tepig is so much cuter. I would give it the nickname: Bacon ^^

Back