• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon Text Editor

HopelessFrench

La baguette
Years

Pokemon Text Editor

Hey everyone, welcome to Pokemon Text Editor. :)
It's a tool that's meant to replace the tool 'AdvanceText' which is outdated and doesn't run on-the-spot on modern hardware. I tried to make this tool platform-portable through the Qt technology, unfortunately I don't have a compiled version for Mac users yet, but once I got to run this OS in a virtual machine, I'll deploy it too.

Improvements

• Repoint data without bugs
  • Doesn't repoint if there is enough trailing free space
  • INI structure with infinite depth
  • Context menu for adding/deleting/altering INI items
  • Finds beginning of text, if requested
  • Search text and insert INI items with ease
Planned

• Toolbox to choose special items like '[player]'
  • Drawing line to indicate textbox ending
  • Highlighting all special items
Images

Spoiler:

Download

Coming soon!

Note Linux: If you don't own the Qt development package, execute the bash script instead of the executable!​

Notes

This tool is in Alpha phase and might contain annoying bugs. Make sure to report them in this thread, I will try to fix them asap. To begin with, I've only shipped an INI for the Pok?mon FireRed version. Don't hesitate to share your INI with the entire community! And: Visible linebreaks are ignored due to the fact that it is better to have more control over them in the game through '\l', '\p' and '\n'. The tool would not be able to detect whether you want to scroll one line down or open a new textbox otherwise. In short:
Code:
This is
a text
does not evaluate to
Code:
This is\na text
in the actual game.

Last edited:

HopelessFrench

La baguette
Years
Shame that only the Linux version is out.
I actually really hate Mac and Windows. Nevertheless, I'll deploy this app for these too.
Sounds like a neat tool. Will it be able to edit Trainer's dialogue as well?
Sure, this tool can edit everything that is related to text. Just make sure to correctly type the text.

I'm bumping this thread to inform that there have been made a few bugfixes and that the Windows version is finally released! :)

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'm not a massive fan of a text editor as a tool but if it helps people out it can only be good, always nice to see people contributing to the community regardless.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Would be nice to have a line denoting the edge of the textbox like Advance Text did, or at least a character count for each line to make editing text easier.
I'm not a massive fan of a text editor as a tool but if it helps people out it can only be good, always nice to see people contributing to the community regardless.

What's wrong with a text editor? using a hex editor for this kind of stuff is time consuming and unwieldy, especially since we have no good hex editor that can load .tbl files. It also handles the repointing automatically, which is another thing that simplifies the process.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Would be nice to have a line denoting the edge of the textbox like Advance Text did, or at least a character count for each line to make editing text easier.

What's wrong with a text editor? using a hex editor for this kind of stuff is time consuming and unwieldy, especially since we have no good hex editor that can load .tbl files. It also handles the repointing automatically, which is another thing that simplifies the process.
Depends what purpose you use it for, promoting the use of it instead of making new scripts is stupid. Hex workshop has always loaded .tbl files perfectly for me (it's also most definitely not time consuming).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 28, 2016
I'm running a 64-bit version of windows (I know the only version uploaded is a 32-bit version, but some time 64 are able to handle both) and I got the following Message:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt plattform plugin "windows" in "".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Anyway, I know I'm pretty new around here and haven't been modding since Advanced Text was the one to go tool for script hacking. I've seen many users mentioning a Qt, and since my error message does too, I'd really like to know what it is since I'm obviously missing it on my PC.

HopelessFrench

La baguette
Years
I disagree. When it comes to editing texts that are independent from scripts (such as intro text) a good text-editor with automatic repointing ability is useful.

DarkZeta said:
Would you like some help getting the Mac version out?
That would be pretty neat. Source code is on Github, but wait for the next version of this editor please!

chrunch said:
The feature you mentioned is already listed under "TODO". Thanks for mentioning it nevertheless.

JJ3c said:
I'm running a 64-bit version of windows (I know the only version uploaded is a 32-bit version, but some time 64 are able to handle both) and I got the following Message [...]
That is exactly the reason why I hate Windows - it has no LDD command. Dependency walker hasn't shown me qwindows.dll as a dependency, but I figured it out with your error message. Wait for the next release which will probably come this week, thanks for trying it out! PS: 64-bit will always run 32-bit programs because 64-bit computers also have 32-bit registers (in machine code).

Years
thank you! I wanted a text editor for windows 10!

but I cant open it. it says it cannot find the Qt. platform winow. pls help!!!!1

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
can someone tell me where to get pokemon gba rom text editor for windows 64 bit

Years
Did you download the latest version of this editor?
If yes, what exact error message does it show you?

i just redownloaded it.

This was the error message i got.
==============================================================
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "".

Reinstalling the application might fix this problem.
===============================================================

I also got this error message.
=============================================================
Runtime Error!

Program: C:/Users/(insert user)/Desktop/a/PokemonTextEditor.exe

This application requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
=============================================================

HopelessFrench

La baguette
Years
Sorry, the thread may be a bit misleading, but there is already a download-link for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. Altered the thread now, that should do it.

Back