• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How do I customize the title screen in Gen 3?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Many ROM hacks have custom title screens - Vega, Dark Rising, Snakewood, etc... (I mean, if the creator of Snakewood has the skill to do a thing, it can't be THAT hard, right?)

I've tried editing parts of it before but never managed to get stuff like the palettes to work, bc noob.

I'm wanting to change at least the text and the Pokémon image (the Charizard) on the title screen.

Delta231

A noob
Years
Do you know the offsets for the title screen? There are many tutorials for changing TitleScreen in FR. You should check those. Hope this helps.

Mr Ghost

oh no
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Look up NSE 2.0 (Nameless Sprite Editor). Depending on what game you're using, there's also really helpful bookmarks that you can use to modify the program to give you more offsets, it makes hacking much easier.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Do you know the offsets for the title screen? There are many tutorials for changing TitleScreen in FR. You should check those. Hope this helps.

I don't know the offsets, lol, which is kind of why I made the thread to begin with :/

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Look up NSE 2.0 (Nameless Sprite Editor). Depending on what game you're using, there's also really helpful bookmarks that you can use to modify the program to give you more offsets, it makes hacking much easier.

I already have that program but I never use it bc I con only edit OWs with it for some reason. I'll take a look into your suggestion though :D

Years
I can give you some tips, but I can't explain all the steps, there are tutorials for that.
The program Unlz is perfect to edit the title screen, here are some useful unlz numbers for fire red:
2009- Pok?mon FireRed logo (256 colors)
2010- Pok?mon FireRed logo TileMap
2011- Charizard Sprite
2012- Charizard Sprite TileMap
2013- Gamefreak Copyright image
2014- Gamefreak Copyright image TileMap

Just type in those numbers in Unlz and you will find the elements you want.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I can give you some tips, but I can't explain all the steps, there are tutorials for that.
The program Unlz is perfect to edit the title screen, here are some useful unlz numbers for fire red:
2009- Pok?mon FireRed logo (256 colors)
2010- Pok?mon FireRed logo TileMap
2011- Charizard Sprite
2012- Charizard Sprite TileMap
2013- Gamefreak Copyright image
2014- Gamefreak Copyright image TileMap

Just type in those numbers in Unlz and you will find the elements you want.

OK...but how would I go about overwriting those? I know how to import an image with UNLZ-GBA but there doesn't seem to be any method of replacing an existing image.

Years
I don't know what you can't do exactly or what doesn't work for you, but it's important to know that the charizard on the title screen, for example, is not a "normal" sprite.
You need a raw file in addition of the sprite to display it correctly. This raw file will tell the game where to display the tiles of the sprite on the screen, and you need NTME to make it.

This tutorial explains how to use NTME: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196269
When this raw file is created, you have to insert it right after the sprite in Unlz, which means that you need to replace the number 2012 for charizard but you need to click on "load RAW" instead of "import" like the other sprites. There are many details to explain, that's why it's better to read the tutorial step by step.

I don't know if it can help, but the youtuber Poketrainer made a video about it: https://youtu.be/eNmXxU2485w

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I don't know what you can't do exactly or what doesn't work for you, but it's important to know that the charizard on the title screen, for example, is not a "normal" sprite.
You need a raw file in addition of the sprite to display it correctly. This raw file will tell the game where to display the tiles of the sprite on the screen, and you need NTME to make it.

This tutorial explains how to use NTME: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196269
When this raw file is created, you have to insert it right after the sprite in Unlz, which means that you need to replace the number 2012 for charizard but you need to click on "load RAW" instead of "import" like the other sprites. There are many details to explain, that's why it's better to read the tutorial step by step.

I don't know if it can help, but the youtuber Poketrainer made a video about it: https://youtu.be/eNmXxU2485w

After watching that video, wouldn't i be easier to just go to the images in UNLZ then use NSE to edit the sprite directly?

Back