• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Focusing on one story

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I am having so much trouble focusing on one story. My mind keeps jumping from idea to idea. Just yesterday, I found myself writing out the mythology of the Pokemon universe. Essentially I have trouble going back and finishing ideas before skipping off to the next one. Anyone have tips or tricks to help me out here?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Wait. You're only supposed to work on one story at a time?

I have the same problem you do. I'll be working on one story, and then I'll read or think of something that will fit another story, and want to write that one. What I do is write down the idea that I get for the other story in a small notebook. This way, I have the burst of inspiration but I don't feel as if I have to focus on it or else I lose it. This way, I can still write on the story that I'm currently writing but I can still work on ideas for other ones.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I've basically had to force myself to focus on one story, because whenever I start a new one, it tends to either overtake the old one or just die out really quickly. I'm always thinking of ideas for new stories, but I kind of just have to let them run round my head until the current project is finished. Sometimes I write down some ideas and save them in a Word document for future reference - I have about six of those lying around in various places.

Back