• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Art of RNG [RNG Guide & Discussion]

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Hi, I just managed to do my first RNG today(Used PPRNG). The IVs went well, but the problem was the shininess. I checked the "Shiny Only" Box but then the pokemon that appeared wasn't shiny. Did I do anything wrong?

Screenshot of my target:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
Hi, I just managed to do my first RNG today(Used PPRNG). The IVs went well, but the problem was the shininess. I checked the "Shiny Only" Box but then the pokemon that appeared wasn't shiny. Did I do anything wrong?

I don't know very well the PPRNG but, aparently you want a wild poke right??? or a stationary,etc

so you just need to dçfocus on hitting your target FRAME wich aparently is 182 and your starting frame is 48 so....
182-48=134 times you need to advance yuor frame

take note that if your want a wild pokes your frame can be dificult since Wondering-NPC mess up your frame if its a legendary o stationary then is quite simple but again the 134 is just a refence
even with a legend for example in my case usually is 5-6frames less so for me would be: 128-129

is just for you to try

Salu2

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
I don't know very well the PPRNG but, aparently you want a wild poke right??? or a stationary,etc

so you just need to dçfocus on hitting your target FRAME wich aparently is 182 and your starting frame is 48 so....
182-48=134 times you need to advance yuor frame

take note that if your want a wild pokes your frame can be dificult since Wondering-NPC mess up your frame if its a legendary o stationary then is quite simple but again the 134 is just a refence
even with a legend for example in my case usually is 5-6frames less so for me would be: 128-129

is just for you to try

Salu2
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I use PPRNG so I can help you.

Where were you trying to catch the Pokemon?
I was trying to catch in different places (Victory Road, Dragon Spiral Tower, and Chargestone Cave to be exact) There were no NPCs onscreen every time I tried.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Wandering NPCs don't have to be onscreen to affect your frame, they just have to be in the same room or area.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You have to get from one screen to the next in the lowest time possible to minimize the effect the NPCs will have on you. Then you have to determine how many frames they shifted, and adjust for it.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Thanks for the help guys, I was able to RNG 6 shinies so far today.

Oh ok, how do you deal with the NPCs so they won't mess up your frames?

Well, can't really just "deal" with them. You either go to an area without any wandering NPCs, or adjust your frames accordingly like Griff said. Of course you could always be like me and assume your shifted number of frames is two, though you need to be able to be able to quickly get into the menu right when the game starts.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the help guys, I was able to RNG 6 shinies so far today.

Oh ok, how do you deal with the NPCs so they won't mess up your frames?

you cant, what happends is that the game always do the same so...
just do it as fast as posible then advance your frame and use sweet scent don´t give the NPC time to move but there is a catch while the animation of the sweet scent NPC moves

just do it a few time catch the poke check if the seed is right and then try to look for your actual frame then adjust and do it again

this is why is anoying you need to try again & again

Salu2

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
you cant, what happends is that the game always do the same so...
just do it as fast as posible then advance your frame and use sweet scent don´t give the NPC time to move but there is a catch while the animation of the sweet scent NPC moves

just do it a few time catch the poke check if the seed is right and then try to look for your actual frame then adjust and do it again

this is why is anoying you need to try again & again

Salu2

My problem now is, I'm trying to rng Cobalion and there's no gender and encounter slot to check for which frame I landed in.
Update: Got Cobalion, Thanks for the help.

Poke_Ball_Sprite.png
638.png
Poke_Ball_Sprite.png

shiny.png
Cobalion ♁ Lv. 42
OT: Shawn | 54164 | Black
Naive | Justified
31/28/31/30/31/31
Helping Hand - Retaliate - Iron Head - Sacred Sword​

Last edited:

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Hi, I had recently purchased a copy of Black 2 and I am trying to RNG my trainer ID. I'm having problems hitting the exact Timer0 value. Does anyone know how to do this? Also need help with Encounter Slots, the chart I found mentions location numbers instead of actual in game location. I'm using PPRNG by the way. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Hi, I had recently purchased a copy of Black 2 and I am trying to RNG my trainer ID. I'm having problems hitting the exact Timer0 value. Does anyone know how to do this? Also need help with Encounter Slots, the chart I found mentions location numbers instead of actual in game location. I'm using PPRNG by the way. Thanks in advance.
Black 2 and White 2 are more trolly then Black and White when it comes to hitting your timer0. Also, have you found your parameters for your Black 2 yet? You need your parameters for that game before you can RNG abuse for ID and/or SID. Since I don't use PPRNG I don't know about the encounter slots. Sorry about that >.<

Reactions: EB

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Black 2 and White 2 are more trolly then Black and White when it comes to hitting your timer0. Also, have you found your parameters for your Black 2 yet? You need your parameters for that game before you can RNG abuse for ID and/or SID. Since I don't use PPRNG I don't know about the encounter slots. Sorry about that >.<

Oh, so to hit the exact Timer0, I just have to keep trying? I've already found my parameters hitting the Timer0 is my only problem. I was able to get my TID and shiny starter though. Btw this is the exact encounter slot chart (http://)eggmove.com/encounterblack2.html(remove parenthesis, still can't post URL) . Thanks :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Oh, so to hit the exact Timer0, I just have to keep trying? I've already found my parameters hitting the Timer0 is my only problem. I was able to get my TID and shiny starter though. Btw this is the exact encounter slot chart (http://)eggmove.com/encounterblack2.html(remove parenthesis, still can't post URL) . Thanks :)
Yes you just have to keep trying until you get it. It'll take a little while longer than it did in Black and White though. For the locations I use an online Pokedex such as Serebii to find the locations for the Pokemon I want and then match it up to encounter slots, although since there aren't any names it's hard to know exactly which one is which. :l

Also, congrats on getting the TID and shiny starter you wanted! :D

Reactions: EB

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Yes you just have to keep trying until you get it. It'll take a little while longer than it did in Black and White though. For the locations I use an online Pokedex such as Serebii to find the locations for the Pokemon I want and then match it up to encounter slots, although since there aren't any names it's hard to know exactly which one is which. :l

Also, congrats on getting the TID and shiny starter you wanted! :D
Thanks :D I look forward to RNGing Legends after the game. But right now I plan to play through the game first. :)
Edit: Does anyone know how to RNG Entralink Pokemon?

Last edited:

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
So I was fooling around with Cute Charm abuse in 4th Gen. As you may know, I abused my ID/SID to get good shinies and apparently, all Cute Charm seeds have huge amount of shiny frames, so I got what I wanted to get:

Aéromite (Venomoth) ♀
3.png
(lvl 14)
049.gif
498.png

Nature: Timid || Ability: Shield Dust || OT: Camilla (200)
IVs: 31/10/31/31/31/31
Foresight|Supersonic|Confusion|PoisonPowder

and 3 other, bad IVs Pokemon to give away in Polish forums:

Oddish ♀
3.png
(lvl 10)
43.png
497.png

Nature: Jolly || Ability: Chlorophyll || OT: Camilla (200)
IVs: 4/23/19/31/3/27
Absorb|Sweet Scent|Acid|***

Venonat ♀
3.png
(lvl 8)
48.png
007.png

Nature: Modest || Ability: Tinted Lens || OT: Camilla (200)
IVs: 20/11/16/27/1/12
Tackle|Disable|Foresight|Supersonic

Abra ♀
3.png
(lvl 9)
63.png
496.png

Nature: Timid || Ability: Synchronize || OT: Camilla (200)
IVs: 2/12/18/24/20/4
Teleport|***|***|***

I recommend playing with it, because it's so funny when there's a shiny every 5-10 frames. If you don't care about IVs, just the shininess, it's a cool and easy method of obtaining them. You can literally get all pokemon living in a certain area as shinies (unless they're fixed gender/genderless).

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Nice job Gonzo, that's awesome. Unfortunately, I don't think many people bother with 4th gen lately so it might be something we need to get back into!

mathioks

owner of the lonestar's gym
Years
Hi, I've been reading on how to start out with RNG'ing, but I have one major problem..
I don't have wireless internet at my home, so I am stuck with a nintendo wi-fi connector for online DS thingies...
Now I was wondering if anyone out here would have some spare time to help me out on finding my sid for me, along with a certain pokemon I would need from pokécheck to start out on my RNG'ing adventure

You can PM me or just post it on here

thanks in advance

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
We can go around that and make magic happen, jest tell me a few things:
- Are you using PC or laptop?
- what's your computer's OS?
- what games do you have?
- what kind of DS you have?

Back