• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Rocket Rising

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020

4Avjm08.png

Send an e-mail at [email protected]!​

The Plot

Welcome to Rocket Rising: A game where you get to play as a member of Team Rocket.

But first... You are in the beginning of your Pokemon Journey, and admittedly, having some trouble. You barely won 2 badges, and just won the Nugget Bridge challenge, when everything you've worked so hard for is stripped from you.
You are left with only one, single Pokemon.
Team Rocket provides Pokemon, and you need Pokemon so... you join up, just for a little while, to get back on your feet.
But all this stealing and cheating gives you an edge. You start winning more often, and against stronger opponents.
You start to think... maybe there's a different path to becoming a Master of Pokemon.

Current Features

~Active Time Battle: The number of attacks you get are based on speed. This gives faster, but weaker, pokemon a fighting chance against the slower, heavy hitters.
~3 Pokemon per Battle: You can have many Pokemon with you, but only 3 in a battle.
~Skill Usage System: Pokemon can have as many abilities as they can learn, they aren't limited to 4, and they can learn moves either by leveling up or by using their old ones. Thundershock will turn into Thunderbolt when used a certain amount of times, and can "upgrade" mid-battle!
~Recruitment: In certain situations you can recruit people to join Team Rocket. This might involve beating them in a battle, helping them out, or simply talking to them.
~Cheat Items: Throughout the game you can get items that have strong effects on enemies, like instantly poisoning them, draining all their energy, or making your own Pokemon almost invulnerable to damage. These are meant to give you an unfair advantage during tough battles.
~Mutagen: You can get rare items called 'Mutagens'. These mutate your Pokemon and give them a partial secondary type, giving them new moves, new strengths, and a new, sometimes frightening, appearance.
~Things Change: The more dangerous and successful you become, the more the world around you will notice and adjust accordingly.
People will talk to you differently, different areas will become open or closed to you, and you can see areas change over time because of your actions.
~Gray Morality:Are you loyal to yourself? Your organization? Or something in-between? The game presents you with many different choices, go find your own unique path!

Screenshots

Need to reupload these.
Spoiler:

Let's Play! (from newest to oldest)

Kitsune Phantasm
RuffledRowlit
TheDarkSkinProphet
Matt Plays
Citizen7

Why?

So a long, long time ago, when I was playing Pokemon Red for the first time, I beat Nugget Bridge. And I got offered a job at Team Rocket! And I was stoked.

And then became very disappointed when you could not actually give up your 'Pokemon Master' dream to go join a criminal organization.
Eventually, since the desire to play a game like that never went away, I decided to make one of my own. A game where you can break the rules a little. Something that felt a little different from other Pokemon games.

I'm using parts of Crystal Noel's "Pokemon For Ace" for the program RPGMaker Vx Ace.
Right now there's about 20?? hours of gameplay.

Download
(Rated PG-13 for Language and Implied Violence)​

Non-mediafire version
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15UISFrpSs3AgY-QWdByOLdJFtXe3ERCC/view?usp=sharing

Version 1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0v7maa45eh662hg/RocketRising1.1.exe/file

Version 0.8
http://www.mediafire.com/file/668mbe1kvpzdddn/RocketRising8.exe

Version 0.5.5
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3mjvvjzjplw1pso/RocketRising5-5.exe

Version 0.4.3 (313 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9cc07m6ynqwiojp/RocketRising4.exe

Version .3
Download the largest (with Run Time Package) if you don't have VX Ace.
Large version (with RTP): http://www.mediafire.com/download/9v6ddlpjm24dylg/RocketRising2(2).exe(294 MB)
Small version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sp9fqa7yxdp8g6p/RocketRising(2).rar (116 MB)

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING TO SAFFRON BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THE LOCKPICK:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/u80d6oxofc1gn9b/RocketRisingtemp.exe
I've made it so that if you go Right out of Celadon, there'll be a lockpick hidden in the furthest right flower.
Hopefully that should fix your lockpick troubles.

All Other Stuff
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Wow just wow this is great i dont usually like going back to kanto cause ive played so many games but the changes are great. I wanna be a rocket i wanna take over cities i wanna recruit people. Ok so just one question on top of achievements is it possible for you to rise through the ranks to commander...general......maybe even the top? Maybe a possible tournament of rockets? This game has so much potential and i wish you the best of luck :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
Walkthrough

Main
Spoiler:

Sidequests
Spoiler:

Recruitables
Spoiler:

Ok so just one question on top of achievements is it possible for you to rise through the ranks to commander...general......maybe even the top? Maybe a possible tournament of rockets? This game has so much potential and i wish you the best of luck :)

Oh man, thanks so much!

It's possible for the player to become a more and more important person in Team Rocket right up until endgame where
Spoiler:

But there isn't exactly a concrete power structure yet. Playing as middle management, where you have authority over some people, but still have higher ups to listen to, is something I'm still thinking about on how to pull off.

What do you mean by Tournament of Rockets? Like an annual competition for grand prize, sort of thing?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 17, 2018
If you're ever in need of inspiration, you should play Pokemon ToxicPurple. It's quite a famous hack, and for good reason. One thing I never understood however, was why when someone makes a TR game, they have the protagonist always be in uniform. No one would join Team Rocket, if things like Pokemart are forbidden. While preventing attachment is an excuse, it's not really a good one, since it implies what you're doing is wrong.

Dedenne1

Years
Ok so id mean like u rise through ranks thts great that u u may be leader but like they have grunt, commander, executive, admin, leader stuff like that and then theres always been an idea floating around that it would be cool if the executives had tournament annually to become a admin thats my say on it its up to u of coarse but it'd be great if we could come up with like 6-7 levels since in the anime and games theres like "sirs" "commanders" and admins and executives all having different power until u have Giovanni who has no one to report to i think this game will have great potential if the story line is great. Now if we do a tournament instead of a pokemon league we could have "admins " be like the elite four and Giovanni of coarse the champion but u would just challenge him later after u showed ur the best " admin". Idk but its sounds cool right?

Dedenne1

Years
If you're ever in need of inspiration, you should play Pokemon ToxicPurple. It's quite a famous hack, and for good reason. One thing I never understood however, was why when someone makes a TR game, they have the protagonist always be in uniform. No one would join Team Rocket, if things like Pokemart are forbidden. While preventing attachment is an excuse, it's not really a good one, since it implies what you're doing is wrong.

As to toxic purple its pretty good i rather have it made with essentials cause hacks can only be so good and i think an undercover like a real person like Jesse and James is appropriate also maybe u could go into a Pokemart and steal stuff and maybe "accidently" drop some money or something along the lines of that or even better is a black market where u could trade with them for stuff or pay and bargain with them all these ideas are just going through my head about this great potential :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
If you're ever in need of inspiration, you should play Pokemon ToxicPurple. It's quite a famous hack, and for good reason.

Ah, Toxic Purple was fantastic. I played until the end of the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, and that's where it finished, if I remember right.
I wanted so badly for it to be longer.

One thing I never understood however, was why when someone makes a TR game, they have the protagonist always be in uniform. No one would join Team Rocket, if things like Pokemart are forbidden. While preventing attachment is an excuse, it's not really a good one, since it implies what you're doing is wrong.

Hmm. I think if some things aren't forbidden, it doesn't feel like you're playing a criminal.
Also it's simpler to program.

a black market where u could trade with them for stuff or pay and bargain with them all these ideas are just going through my head about this great potential :)

Ooh, a black market would be interesting. I'll have to think about that!

Last edited:

Dedenne1

Years
I think either a market at a rocket headquarters or a black market would be great do you think maybe there will be secret routes in your game leading through forests or tunnels to a secret rocket headquarters? Or just in a abandoned tower maybe?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
do you think maybe there will be secret routes in your game leading through forests or tunnels to a secret rocket headquarters? Or just in a abandoned tower maybe?

Hmm, maybe. So far I guessed that the players would want to make Rocket bases in towns.
But having one tucked away in Viridian Forest, or in the island caves near Cinnabar, would be pretty neat.
A little like the secret bases from Ruby and Sapphire.

Dedenne1

Years
Ya kinda like that if you ever watched the anime it was always in an old warehouse or secret passages under a cottage in the forest that would be pretty cool if people would truck things to a base in viridian forest also are you planning on having the sevii islands at all with the rocket base?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
also are you planning on having the sevii islands at all with the rocket base?

Probably not. Kanto has a lot of different areas, and a lot of different maps, even without the Sevii Islands.
I'm planning on mapping Saffron next and it's just... so... big.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 17, 2018
Hmm. I think if some things aren't forbidden, it doesn't feel like you're playing a criminal.
It's debatable, so of course, to each their own. Always wanted to make a Team Rocket version for the Game Development community, but there's always something off with a map, when trying to revamp it. Attempting to fix it was extremely exhausting, so I really am glad to see you're looking to give it a try. ToxicPurple was like the best TR game, it really was a shame it never got finished. Facing off against Red, where I'm assuming there's a chance the player can lose, would have been awesome.

Dedenne1

Years
I also wish toxic purple was completed but this game has potential for its legacy i will help in any way i can and if u need help im sure plenty people are available the ideas are going through my head good luck with this ill keep close tabs and cant wait for the for the next update i think ill play through the beginning and see if theres any problems and see just how great this is also i like the battling system its unique and more realistic kinda makes me think of super Eevee edition :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
i think ill play through the beginning and see if theres any problems

Please let me know if you find any! Or anything in the gameplay that makes things less fun.
I've done my best to eliminate glitches and stuff, but figuring out which things are fun, or when things start getting boring, is really difficult from this angle.

Dedenne1

Years
I'll look soon as I can ik wat u mean about fun in the original kanto for me it started to get boring gotta go with some drama and a crazy storyline that will keep the player into it I'll let u know about anything about the current demo and if ud like me to beta test future updates i could do that as well
Ps: I really like the name of the game its factually correct and its catchy ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
I'll look soon as I can ik wat u mean about fun in the original kanto for me it started to get boring gotta go with some drama and a crazy storyline that will keep the player into it

Yeah, that's why I always liked Gold and Silver best. Everything was a bit unpredictable, from the semi-evil Rival to discovering all the different features that they included.
I liked that you never really knew where the game was going to send you, or what new thing it was going to throw at you next.

Dedenne1

Years
Ya thats wat i really liked its just like ur in 3 cities away go back to goldenrod lol kanto it was to to next town go to next town go to previous town go in tower got boring... LETS MAKE KANTO EVEN BETTER! ;)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
Progress:
-Going to include a small 'Detective event' in the next update where you use clues to track an important person down. About halfway done with that.
After that will be the big part: Silph Co.

-If I can figure out how to make it so that you only evolve after gaining a level, then evolution will be available.
But, the base for the mutagen system is done!
If you find a 'mutagen' item then you can mutate one of your Pokemon. This will increase its stats, and change its type slightly to balance out weaknesses it has.
Example:
Spoiler:

I do need a better way to identify it as 'mutated' though. Mu![PokeName] doesn't roll of the tongue really, but it's not a normal Pokemon anymore either.

-Should be able to include the Lockpick too.

Last edited:

Dedenne1

Years
Yay the lockpick ill think on the mutation name and also im currently downloading the game will start it today but will play more tommarrow hopefully ill get u some feedback by tommarrow!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 21, 2016
looks like a great game, only problem is i havent being able to do anything after getting the first pokemon....which im guessing has something to do with the tileset....

Back