• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Nice hack! I may not agree with every change, but it's been an interesting experience so far. A minor thing I noticed is that Onix, being a Rock/Dragon type, does not take super effective damage from Ice type moves. I checked the type chart just to be sure.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
A couple more things:
-Steel doesn't have its fairy resistance (it should according to your type chart)
-Steel is no longer super effective against Rock types

Maybe these were changed later, but the type chart doesn't reflect that.

Is it possible to edit the TM descriptions for the new TMs? It still has the text and color of the original TMs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Looks very good, especially with the Fairy type and new attacks. Normally I don't really like HGSS for not fixing the level curve and lack of good grinding places despite all the good features, but this one seems interesting. Will try MoonSilver to have a refreshing experience if I'm in the mood for this.

By the way, can the Kris patch from Hiro TDK be used in SunGold/MoonSilver, too?

Did you get this to work, by the way? I've been trying to use it myself and haven't had any luck.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
; and deals normal damage to Rock.

*cough* water *cough* erodes *cough* rocks. But then again it also rusts metal. Though steel is hard to rust.

Ok how the heck do I patch this thing? I have never used xDelta before and I don't know what to use for the output file so if you could direct us to a good tutorial or explain it that would be great!

Last edited:

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Nice hack! I may not agree with every change, but it's been an interesting experience so far. A minor thing I noticed is that Onix, being a Rock/Dragon type, does not take super effective damage from Ice type moves. I checked the type chart just to be sure.

A couple more things:
-Steel doesn't have its fairy resistance (it should according to your type chart)
-Steel is no longer super effective against Rock types

Maybe these were changed later, but the type chart doesn't reflect that.

Is it possible to edit the TM descriptions for the new TMs? It still has the text and color of the original TMs.
Thanks for your reports on the type chart. Those are last-minute changes that I forgot to update in the type-chart. About the TM description, I still haven't found its garc location to edit yet.
*cough* water *cough* erodes *cough* rocks. But then again it also rusts metal. Though steel is hard to rust.

Ok how the heck do I patch this thing? I have never used xDelta before and I don't know what to use for the output file so if you could direct us to a good tutorial or explain it that would be great!
The match-up between Water and Rock is changed because Water's now been s.e against 4 types already and Rock need a buff in the deffensive side for balance. Water erodes rock. That's why Rock isn't immune to water, lol. Water erodes rock so slowly that it can't be s.e against rock, right? {XD}

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Just open the Xdelta UI application in the patch folder and click open to the patch file, the base rom and name the output with .nds at the end.

Years
Just finished SunGold, really enjoyed it as it felt refreshing due to all the pokemon type changes. However, i feel that wild pokemon levels are too low which makes grinding really slow.

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Just finished SunGold, really enjoyed it as it felt refreshing due to all the pokemon type changes. However, i feel that wild pokemon levels are too low which makes grinding really slow.
Thanks for your feedback. I'll look into this matter in the next games. Btw, have you beaten Red? He must be a big challenge in SunGold. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I guess I can take a look at that now that I've salvaged my files.
Oh man! Thanks so much! I'm not a fan of the young, girly, overly pink design of Lyra and your Kris mod looks awesome. :)

Last edited:

Lord Arkadios

PKMN Trainer Zalkari
Years
Hmm...I can't help but notice that in the SunGold patch that when your mother gives you the running shoes and gb player it doesn't show up. The running shoes if I remember in this game show up on the touch screen. As for the GB Player I think it was slotted in the key items...yet they aren't there? I mean walking is nice, but sometimes I like to run. lol

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Hmm...I can't help but notice that in the SunGold patch that when your mother gives you the running shoes and gb player it doesn't show up. The running shoes if I remember in this game show up on the touch screen. As for the GB Player I think it was slotted in the key items...yet they aren't there? I mean walking is nice, but sometimes I like to run. lol
Event scripts of HeartGold&SoulSilver are kept unchanged in SunGold. Only MoonSilver has extra events from SacredGold&StormSilver. ;)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I reeeally want to continue playing this but I've held off for 2 things that hopefully could be looked at first. Gardevoir's psy/fairy typing is missing. :( Fairy tying is a godsend for such a fragile thing.

Also, if those "errors" I thought were with the type chart intentional, can we get an updated type chart document with it? Keeping up with the new changes is difficult enough, so I've been relying heavily on the type chart to stay up to speed and need it to be accurate.

Nice work on the game! Really looking forward to the challenges.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2016
So... Nidorino no longer evolves using a moon stone... I would like my Nindoking please. I'm on Moon Silver most resent download/patch playing on 3DS. Any ideas as to how I can fix this that would be swell.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 6, 2016
This is a great hack thank you! I hope someday there will be a mega evolution in this hack or in any hack. It would be much enjoyable to play :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2017
Excellent hack so far, it's different enough from Drayanos' that it feels unique, but still similar enough that you get that feel of a high quality game. I'm up to the seventh Gym Badge in Moon Silver, with over 24 hours on the game. Part of that is due to me RNG'ing for perfect Mons, but still, I have barely put it down. The implementation of Fairy as a type is flawless, and the use of old moves appearances as Fairy moves really made the game (i.e. Synthesis' animation as Purification? Perfect!). Just a couple of things I've noticed though:

-While I understand your reasoning behind many of the changes to the type chart, I didn't have time to completely relearn the weaknesses and resistances, and so re-hacked the hacked hack (hack-ception) to have the Gen 6 type chart. While this isn't so much a con as it is a personal preference, perhaps you could have a "semi-clean" version where the type chart remains the same as Gen 6, and then a full version with your modified type chart.

-A couple of text errors (or inconsistencies) have occurred, particularly with the new moves as TM's and their descriptions, as well as some of the gift Pokemon. Things like Shadow Ball still being named as such in the Battle Frontier, Steam Shower still having Brine's description in the Goldenrod Department Store, confused me to some extent. Also, Bill talked about the Weather Institute before handing me his Eevee. Obviously this is just a carry over from the Drayano hacks, but something to just tidy up the game experience.

-Finally, be careful with changing the EXP groups of Pokemon. While I don't yet have the final Starter Evolutions, while evolving my Scyther into Scizor, the level dropped from 37 to 33, due to the change in EXP groups (I would assume). Perhaps the starters do not perform in this way due to them evolving via level, but non-the-less, just something I have noticed.

While those are a couple of negatives, Moon Silver is by far my favorite HGSS hack I have played, and second to only BB2/VW2 by Drayano in terms of favorite remastered games. Kudos to you, good sir, and I look forward to the challenges ahead as I attempt to finish the game!

Back