• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is unova the worst generation?

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
The Unova games were awesome. Probably White 2 was my favourite game. Sure it had some awful pokemon but the games were great

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Coming from someone who didn't like the games at release, i think these may actually be the best games in the series. Trash Pokemon isn't a good reason to say it was a bad generation. Every gen has bad Pokemon. It was the arguably the most involved plot with the gym leaders playing a central role and a good moral lesson between truth and ideal that even plagues real life and whether we should use animals/Pokemon to help us accomplish tasks.

And back to the Pokemon, it introduced some very great Pokemon to like the weather trio, Krookodile, Mandibuzz, Darmanitan, Victini, Zekrom, Reshiram, Bisharp, Excadrill and Ferro among many others who are central to the metagame and are now are many people's favorite Pokemon

I'd go so far as to say Gen V was the most influential game on the Pokemon series

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Although the generation is polarizing to some players, I am in the moderately popular majority that stands firm on how it still remains an amazing generation.

When it comes to storylines, it can't be beat, mainly because it did it's job completing it with little to no loose ends, along with giving it's share of characters some astounding growth. Ghetsis was a great villain, even if he did his job as one a little too well.

It also made things slightly easier for EV Training, like how high your stat would go after beating a wild Pok?mon, at least in my personal experience.

While there are some Pok?mon that are less than stellar in terms of both design and competitive viability, there's no denying that the Generation still had some amazing Pok?mon at the time, like Hydreigon, Volcarona, Excadrill, and Conkeldurr.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
As in Generation 5? As a whole?

The best generations are easily Gen 1 and Gen 5, overall.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Gen 5 is definitely not my favorite region and I didn't really enjoy the gen at all :/

But, with that being said, it's definitely not the worst generation. At least in my books.

It's all a matter of opinion for these types of questions because everyone has different likes and wants in a Pok?mon game, again, it's all up to the individual player to decide for themselves.

Years
In the world, where GEN IV and VII exist, we can't argue about bad GEN, because we already have winners.

But on more serious note: I noticed that hate on GEN V is slowly decreasing and more and more people love the games. I remember back when they were released, everyone hated on them. Now, every time some hater appears, literally army of people shut him up.

colter519

Youngster
Years
I hated Gen 5 more than any others. I found the story, while more interesting than some others, to be painfully linear, particularly in black and white. The linear storytelling took a lot away from the games for me, much like in final fantasy xiii. It was the most excruciating formula I've experienced in a pokemon game where practically every city was the same pattern with meeting the gym leader, fending off team plasma, and then beating the gym. I also wasn't a fan of the experience adjustment as it involved a lot more grinding, especially because there were people blocking off the next area where stronger pokemon awaited because they were "dancing for no particular reason"

Also, while there are some pokemon introduced in Unova that I love, there are so many that seemed like cheap imitations of gen 1 pokemon, and that goes far beyond the stereotypical starter types, fodder bird and rodent, and early bugs. I wanted to see more individuality and creativity in creating new pokemon, rather than altered replications of existing pokemon that quickly became forgotten. And for the record, I have no problem with the ice cream cones.

And then there was the anime...

All that being said, Gen 5 did introduce several gameplay mechanics that are greatly appreciated, such as reusable TMs and some intriguing pokemon abilities like zoroark's illusion and darmanitan's zen mode. All in all, however, gen 5 is easily my least liked generation in the entire series.

Years
In the world, where GEN IV and VII exist, we can't argue about bad GEN, because we already have winners.

But on more serious note: I noticed that hate on GEN V is slowly decreasing and more and more people love the games. I remember back when they were released, everyone hated on them. Now, every time some hater appears, literally army of people shut him up.

That's what I've noticed too. I remember all the hate towards the generation when it first came out in 2010, and now seven years later people seem to be learning to appreciate it, because it was a very influential generation and it bought so much to the table. I now often see people talking about the positive side of 5th Gen which makes me feel happy.

Years
I like Unova a lot. Just started a new game last night on White version. Unova was unique in having such a large # of pokemon native to it and not needing old mons to compensate for it. It's the only gen since Gen 1 that can make that claim. To me Sinnoh was the most boring region. I never got the wow factor from the game at any point. It felt plain to me somehow. Idk what it was. But to me gen 5 had the best sprites, cool trainers, a darker tone, and cool designs. I feel the music was rather bad but aside from that it was great.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
Pokemon Black is hands down my second favorite game in the entire series (SoulSilver is first). The emphasis on a compelling story about making Pokemon fight for us, which has plagued the series with criticisms from the beginning, was finally addressed. The villains were great and working with the gym leaders was really satisfying. I started playing competitively for the first time since beginning all the way at Blue.

Overall, the games felt epic and expansive. They challenged what a Pokemon game could be about. I love the majority of the designs even if some aren't as iconic. It's just a really complete package through and through. B2W2 were a little more iffy for me, but that's mostly because they felt slightly rushed.

My opinions are bolstered by going to see the Pokemon Symphony, and when they played one of N's songs, I flat out bawled.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
All games have pros and cons. I don't like when I can't EV train in Black/White. Story and musics are best. Especially, it has best story ever. And about Black2/White2, there're good stuffs to enjoy which was not in Black/White. Some Pokemons are ugly and stupid, but I found some of others are hilarious. But... about only new Pokemons, I can't say it's good generation, even I have some favs from Gen V. Hey, but there're not bad generation.

I'm Sinnoh lover, but Unova is 2nd for me.

Last edited:
Back