• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can you improve Ash/Satoshi?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Have him be like Red, have him had a Kadabra, Eeveelution, evolve his Pikachu to a Raichu, be atrracted to Misty/Dawn/May instead of Serena

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Have him be like Red, have him had a Kadabra, Eeveelution, evolve his Pikachu to a Raichu, be atrracted to Misty/Dawn/May instead of Serena

Yeah, I don't recall him EVER showing ANY attraction to Serena beyond mere friendship. I'm no Pokeshipper by any stretch, but even that had far more actual evidence to Ash actually HAVING a crush on Misty. In fact, the only one who had a crush on the other was Serena regarding Ash.

As far as evolving Pikachu, to be fair, we had to deal with the potential for evolution twice, and both times Pikachu refused evolution. Unless you want Ash to literally force Pikachu to evolve regardless of whether he wants it or not, I'd suggest not doing it unless Pikachu specifically states he wants it.

Pretty much agreed regarding Kadabra and an Eeveelution, though, there's no reason he CAN'T have any of those (though to be fair to him, it looks like we might actually get a chance for an Eeveelution if his getting an Eevee is anything to go by).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
So he needs to become an abusive, unfeeling jerk?

How would Ash catching a Legendary Pokemon improve him? It's not like they're even a big deal these days; Ash has defeated several of them, so their once hyped status as strong battlers is almost moot now.

1. Yeah, as much as I want Ash to really get improved upon, he really shouldn't adopt Paul's traits, that would just make him even worse. He could adopt Gary's traits of raising Pokémon, however. Yes, Gary's a bit hardheaded and a bit of a braggart, but at least he actually does care for his Pokémon without sacrificing his potential.

2. Eh, they're still pretty high battlers anyways, and besides, only Pikachu and Charizard have actually BEATEN Legendaries anyway, so it's not like he's made them look bad anyways. Now, if he managed to beat a Legendary with, say, his Caterpie, THEN I'll agree with you on how that's rendered moot.

Years
he just needs to have more common sense when it comes to battling and i'll be good. he freaking used quick attack on tapu bulu

Years
1. Yeah, as much as I want Ash to really get improved upon, he really shouldn't adopt Paul's traits, that would just make him even worse. He could adopt Gary's traits of raising Pokémon, however. Yes, Gary's a bit hardheaded and a bit of a braggart, but at least he actually does care for his Pokémon without sacrificing his potential.

2. Eh, they're still pretty high battlers anyways, and besides, only Pikachu and Charizard have actually BEATEN Legendaries anyway, so it's not like he's made them look bad anyways. Now, if he managed to beat a Legendary with, say, his Caterpie, THEN I'll agree with you on how that's rendered moot.

Didn't Pikachu mutual-KO Latio/as in the Sinouh league, while Sceptile managed to take down Darkrai in that same match?

Ash's incompetence is what frustrates me the most in Pokémon (I guess this is kind of obvious). Now, animes can do with incompetent characters, for instance (these will all be Yu-Gi-Oh analogies since I watched this series the most), in yugioh Zexal, the main protagonist starts incompetent, with the same "screw optimal plays, I am going with my heart" kind of mentality that Ash has. In the beginning he was annoying, especially since by then we were used to almighty main protagonists and yugioh duel monsters, gx, and 5ds. So he starts kind of annoying, but in the second half of the show he gets better, actually becomes competent, still retains his mentality, and it became much more satisfying to watch him. So Ash being clueless and reckless in the first season was fine, as he was still learning. But then, every season he loses to some random trainer, forgets that electric types don't work on ground types, and so on. And I mean, I get this self imposed challenge of "lets start fresh every region", but doesn't it make sense to sometimes call older Pokémon? Like early in BW there was this time Trip made fun of Ash because he only had 5 Pokémon and one less badge than him. Couldn't have Ash just be like "hold my beer" and show him he actually has 40 badges, transfer Snorlax, and have him eat Trip's pathetic Pokémon?

My point is, that Ash already MADE the journey from nubcake to competent. Making him go over it time and time again is ridiculous. The way I see it, the only way to save the Pokémon anime is: either make Ash suddenly magically competent and get him to be good and win, or just forget about him, finish whatever you having going on, make him die in a plane crash or something, and make a new protagonist. Maybe try a competent protagonist for once. Most of the people who play the games try to play semi-optimally. Obviously, not everyone is meta-master, but a lot of people do try to variate types and type advantages and stuff like that. So watching a protagonist who does that consciously and deliberately would be appealing.

So yeah, I kind of believe he is hopeless at this point.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Didn't Pikachu mutual-KO Latio/as in the Sinouh league, while Sceptile managed to take down Darkrai in that same match?

Ash's incompetence is what frustrates me the most in Pokémon (I guess this is kind of obvious). Now, animes can do with incompetent characters, for instance (these will all be Yu-Gi-Oh analogies since I watched this series the most), in yugioh Zexal, the main protagonist starts incompetent, with the same "screw optimal plays, I am going with my heart" kind of mentality that Ash has. In the beginning he was annoying, especially since by then we were used to almighty main protagonists and yugioh duel monsters, gx, and 5ds. So he starts kind of annoying, but in the second half of the show he gets better, actually becomes competent, still retains his mentality, and it became much more satisfying to watch him. So Ash being clueless and reckless in the first season was fine, as he was still learning. But then, every season he loses to some random trainer, forgets that electric types don't work on ground types, and so on. And I mean, I get this self imposed challenge of "lets start fresh every region", but doesn't it make sense to sometimes call older Pokémon? Like early in BW there was this time Trip made fun of Ash because he only had 5 Pokémon and one less badge than him. Couldn't have Ash just be like "hold my beer" and show him he actually has 40 badges, transfer Snorlax, and have him eat Trip's pathetic Pokémon?

My point is, that Ash already MADE the journey from nubcake to competent. Making him go over it time and time again is ridiculous. The way I see it, the only way to save the Pokémon anime is: either make Ash suddenly magically competent and get him to be good and win, or just forget about him, finish whatever you having going on, make him die in a plane crash or something, and make a new protagonist. Maybe try a competent protagonist for once. Most of the people who play the games try to play semi-optimally. Obviously, not everyone is meta-master, but a lot of people do try to variate types and type advantages and stuff like that. So watching a protagonist who does that consciously and deliberately would be appealing.

So yeah, I kind of believe he is hopeless at this point.

I thought the Pokémon Ash used that acted as his reserves were his Johto Pokémon, not his Hoenn Pokémon? And for the record, Pikachu mutual-KOed Latios, that much is correct, though he also single-handedly took out Regice as well.

But other than that, I agree fully. I'm not liking how they're really screwing Ash's pooch regarding development, outright wasting it. The closest he's ever gotten to any actual development was in Johto. After that, they barely have him managing to advance in rank from before, many times hits a reset, one or two times tying from before if not decreasing in rank. I mean, for goodness sakes, Goku from Dragon Ball got more development, not to mention actually DOES come across as competent even if somewhat goofy. He's Ash done right.

Last edited:
Years
I believe that in Sinou league he used most of his pokemon, regardless of region. Checked Bulbapedia, Ash used Heracross, Gible and Torkoal against Darkrai before Sceptile managed to take it down.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Maybe don't reset him at the end of every season? Have him actually catch all the pokemon instead of doing a super lackluster job?

Personally, I'd just get rid of him entirely...

When they do stuff like what they did with greninja, saying how it developed such a strong bond for ash it transformed, etc., and then just forget about him next season, it really just kills off any emotions I had towards it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Why? He has like 40 different species of Pokemon in storage already at Oak's place that he doesn't do anything with except during certain Leagues (the last time being in DP 8 freaking years ago), and even then not all of them get to battle. So how would him catching every single Pokemon be beneficial when all it would lead to is him having 800+ neglected Pokemon that we would only see approximately once every half decade at best?

Well catching all the pokemon is kinda one of the major points of the series, but out of all of them he only has a few, like you said. He certainly isn't going to be beating any leagues any time soon, so they might as well give him some actual goal instead of just do the same thing 20 different times in 20 different regions...

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
Maybe don't reset him at the end of every season? Have him actually catch all the pokemon instead of doing a super lackluster job?

Personally, I'd just get rid of him entirely...

When they do stuff like what they did with greninja, saying how it developed such a strong bond for ash it transformed, etc., and then just forget about him next season, it really just kills off any emotions I had towards it.

Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon. In Greninja's case, it just makes their bond seem like a gimmick that only existed to give Ash a Kalos powerhouse and nothing more.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
He doesn't need to catch a legendary, he already has strong pokemon capable of beating them already. In fact the faults of his character are not primarily his battle skills, which he is actually good at, but his flat character which is a fault of the anime being a marketing show for kids.

Even shonen MC's like Luffy or Naruto have more depth to them and their simplistic natures are better written in comparison to Ash. And their ideal goals of becoming the greatest aka Pirate King and Hokage are better defined and actually have meaning i.e. freedom or acknowledgment. While being a pokemon master is some vague out of reach goal just there to pretend Ash's journey means something other than advertising the franchise.

For these issues to be resolved, the anime doesn't need to make Ash a uber trainer or rated PG 13 +. They just need to actually write Ash as a character looking for ways to achive his goal and they need to give that goal some meaning as well.

And tone down filler, unless its entertaining like OG Kanto. Some stronger continuity wouldn't hurt either and would make Ash less like a kid with an early onset of Alzheimer's and feel more like a trainer with experience and that his journey is worth something.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon

Agreed, releasing pokemon is stupid, and after seeing pokemon generation 3 animations, i doubt released pokemon go "in the wild", they cease to exist

I only do this in 10%, when i got bored by my pokemon i trade them away for newer pokemon

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The emphasis on catching every Pokemon was mainly a dub concept though, and mainly emphasized in the early years of the show. The whole "gotta catch 'em all" motto didn't exist in the Japanese version (they just had a vague "get Pokemon" tagline instead iirc). It's been kind of clear for over 15 years that Ash and even other notable characters can't actually catch every Pokemon since there are just so many of them, hence why we don't see Ash even attempting to do that these days.
Oak still asked him to fill up the pokedex though, so it is a goal in the show

Ash does need to quit releasing his Pokemon. In Greninja's case, it just makes their bond seem like a gimmick that only existed to give Ash a Kalos powerhouse and nothing more.
EXACTLY!

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
Ash catching every Pokemon was never his proper long term goal; it was just assumed that he would catch them all back in Kanto because of the franchise's catchphrase, but that misconception only lasted a few dozen episodes and then it became obvious that Ash wasn't really gonna 'catch em all' since he was only catching the bare minimum of Pokemon back then.

Ash's main goal has always been to become a 'Pokemon Master' which is something that hasn't even been explained well yet.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
When exactly did Oak ask him to "fill up the Pokedex"? Because it's been 21 years since Ash got his first Pokedex, and the fact that he only caught around 80 Pokemon overall out of 800 kind of proves that filling the Pokedex isn't Ash's goal anymore. :/

It clearly isn't his goal anymore, but this thread is about how you would improve him. Actually giving him a goal would do a lot of good.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
1. Yeah, as much as I want Ash to really get improved upon, he really shouldn't adopt Paul's traits, that would just make him even worse. He could adopt Gary's traits of raising Pok?mon, however. Yes, Gary's a bit hardheaded and a bit of a braggart, but at least he actually does care for his Pok?mon without sacrificing his potential.

I doubt that, Gary/Shigeru is bassicly Green/Blue and we ALL know how he acts

Sure he helps pokemon in generation 4 but he's bassicly android saga Vegeta, a selfish prick

Even Silver learned that hurting pokemon is wrong despite being Sasaki's son

Back