• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Did you take one step back from where your Dowsing Machine says the item is, face the same spot, and hit A there? It's a hidden Sun Stone in that room (which I just picked up myself), and you don't have to do anything but hit A while facing the spot the Dowsing Machine pings in.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I'm not sure whether I should post here or start a new thread about this. But the fact that I have doubt probably means I should post this here:

After beating the Elite 4 once in Black 2, the only thing I've done is Black Tower and Battle Subway. Before moving on to XY, I want to finish up every other sidequest, etc. in the game. Can you guys name as many things to do after story mode?

Years
I'm not sure whether I should post here or start a new thread about this. But the fact that I have doubt probably means I should post this here:

After beating the Elite 4 once in Black 2, the only thing I've done is Black Tower and Battle Subway. Before moving on to XY, I want to finish up every other sidequest, etc. in the game. Can you guys name as many things to do after story mode?

Well, there's the south-eastern side of Unova, as well as the area around Icirrus City and Twist Mountain where you can battle very powerful trainers and catch even more Pokemon. There's also a tag battle with Cilan, Cress and Chili in Striaton City, more battles you can do at the Pokemon World Tournament, the Dropped Item sidequest involving Yancy/Curtis, you can build up your Join Avenue, and also catch several Legendary Pokemon including Latias/Latios, Heatran, the Lake Guardians, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem as well as the Regis, and if you have all three Regis in your team you can also catch Regigigas.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016

Well, there's the south-eastern side of Unova, as well as the area around Icirrus City and Twist Mountain where you can battle very powerful trainers and catch even more Pokemon. There's also a tag battle with Cilan, Cress and Chili in Striaton City, more battles you can do at the Pokemon World Tournament, the Dropped Item sidequest involving Yancy/Curtis, you can build up your Join Avenue, and also catch several Legendary Pokemon including Latias/Latios, Heatran, the Lake Guardians, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem as well as the Regis, and if you have all three Regis in your team you can also catch Regigigas.

Aside from Hikari's suggestions, if you haven't finished the filming in Pokéstar Studios, then it's your time to shine!
There's also Pokemon Musical, Medal Rally. Completing both National and Unova Pokedex grants you special items, so look forward to that!

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Is it possible to get a Shiny from someone in this game?

After winning Benga in Black Tower(B2)/White Treehollow(W2) for the very first time,
he will give you a Pokemon in Alder's house depending on which version you are playing:
  • B2 Gible
  • W2 Dratini
Note that both giveaways are shiny.

After seeing all non-event Unova Pokemon (Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect not included).,
you will obtain a Permit from Aurea Juniper to visit Nature Preserve.
There you can catch the one and only shiny Haxorus.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
can every pokemon in the field egg group learn any egg move due to smergle? Or is it just for combos like, eevee's moves are helping hand, tackle, tailwhip, and detect (the egg move)

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
can every pokemon in the field egg group learn any egg move due to smergle? Or is it just for combos like, eevee's moves are helping hand, tackle, tailwhip, and detect (the egg move)

Not every move of male Smeargle will pass on the offspring.
For example a male Smeargle knowing the move Hydro Pump will not pass it to an Eevee offspring.
But if it sketched the moves like Yawn or Wish it will pass to the Eevee offspring.

If the Smeargle knows a move that the offspring can learn only by breeding, the offspring will be born knowing the move.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Not every move of male Smeargle will pass on the offspring.
For example a male Smeargle knowing the move Hydro Pump will not pass it to an Eevee offspring.
But if it sketched the moves like Yawn or Wish it will pass to the Eevee offspring.

If the Smeargle knows a move that the offspring can learn only by breeding, the offspring will be born knowing the move.

THANK YOU!!!! No more breeding for false swipe.

Years
So I do a lot of breeding, and thought it would be worth while to get myself a nursery in my Join Ave to help things along.

It has been extremely helpful, as I can basically go from being handed an egg to it hatching in about 3 minutes (even with 41 egg cycles). This also means I can reset for egg IVs/natures right? Because the IVs and natures are generated when you are handed the egg?

Nay nay. I saved right before getting the egg from the day-care, then flew to Join Ave and hatched it at the nursery. Checked the IVs and they weren't what I wanted, so I soft reset. Repeated the process and...

got the same exact nature and IVs. Not gender though...

So I decided to try again and hatch the egg normally. It ALSO had the same nature and stats.

So what's going on? I thought everything about an egg was determined when you receive it from the daycare, not when it was first generated in the day-care. Did this change for gen 5 or something? Or did I encounter a glitch somewhere along the way?

Since nobody seems to have answered this, i'll do it.

Sorry to say, but yes, this is in fact the case with B2/W2. When the first egg is generated, its IVs and ability are set no matter what you do. In fact, even if you reset before putting the two Pokémon in (same items and everything), the egg will still be the same. That means you literally have to skip the first egg of each batch to try for the egg you want. :/ That's another one of my few complaints with the game - the way the breeding system was kinda nerfed.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Here's an interesting question.

SO I'm trying to breed Metagross to hatch a good Beldum with proper IV scores and Adamant nature. But since both Ditto and Metagross are genderless Pokemon, I can't take advantage of the mother passing down it's nature to offspring.

Anyone has any tricks to breed Beldums with only Adamant Nature?

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Here's an interesting question.

SO I'm trying to breed Metagross to hatch a good Beldum with proper IV scores and Adamant nature. But since both Ditto and Metagross are genderless Pokemon, I can't take advantage of the mother passing down it's nature to offspring.

Anyone has any tricks to breed Beldums with only Adamant Nature?

Please correct me if I'm wrong,
the mechanic of breeding a Starmie for Staryu,
is just like a breeding a Metagross for Beldum, right?
Because I have no problem of passing its Timid Nature to its offsprings.

I have a lot of them, would you like one?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Would the actual species being bred be the one that is considered female in that instance?

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Would the actual species being bred be the one that is considered female in that instance?

If memory serves right,
that was also what bulbapedia said,
last time I checked about genderless-yet breed-able Pokemon.
However my personal experience said different,
it contradicted bulbapedia,
by my Staryu offspring having all TM moves as 'Egg Moves'.
Which makes the Starmie male -- since we know that TM moves and Egg Moves must be learnt by the father.

Note that starting in Gen IV,
male Pokemon are also able to pass Natures in breeding with an Everstone,
like their female counterparts.

I don't have a precise answer for him,
but still my answer still stands for Pokemon like Metagross,
are able to pass their Nature with Everstone.

Last edited:

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Can the move tutor teach moves to Pokemon that never got high leveled enough to learn them in previous forms? If not, what moves of Pokemon that evolve via stone/trade is irreplaceable?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Can the move tutor teach moves to Pokemon that never got high leveled enough to learn them in previous forms? If not, what moves of Pokemon that evolve via stone/trade is irreplaceable?
Move tutor can teach any move that Pokemon has in its movepool (refer to bulbapedia or serebii) so if evolved form has move X in its movepool, move tutor can teach it.
And no move is irreplaceable... why would it even be? You plan moveset for your pokemon.
Obviously if you need a move that only pre-evolved form can learn, you need to get it from the pre-evolved Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
This question's for anyone familiar with 5th generation RNG. I've recently discovered how to RNG Abuse in Pokemon Emerald and I've used it to catch most of the legendaries and other set-location Pokemon like the starters as shiny Pokemon.

I, however, will not be using RNG Abuse in 5th generation and I've reverted back to soft-resetting. My question is: Do shiny frames always stay the same throughout the games in B2W2? In Emerald, RNG frames were always the same and what they were depended on your ID and SID. While I think the basis of that is still present, I don't know if the frames remain the same throughout the game despite the same ID and SID.

I ask this because if they remain the same, then I probably don't have the right RNG frame to soft-reset.

Corrosive

Conspiracy Realist
Years
Is Global Link site down for anyone else?

My sincere apologies if this is in the incorrect forum/thread, but is the Global Link website down for anyone else? It's been in "maintenance" for 3 hours or more now and I was wondering if this is a usual thing; i've barely just started doing Dream World yesterday.

Edit: Just found the Maintenance page from the official site, and it shows Maint. being from 3 am to 7 am Tuesdays EST. Will that still be happening in light of this downtime?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back