• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Issue with National Dex & Elite Four

Years
I just started ROM hacking the end of last week and to get used to it I decided to try make a Normal Only FireRed Rom with later Gen Mons.
I added in part of an old script which I tied to a Scientist in Pallet Town to let you receive the National Dex right at the beginning. I managed to change most things I wanted to and it seemed fully functional UNTIL... I had someone test it for me.
And they couldn't get into the Elite Four.
Because Lorlei isn't there, as the post-game has been activated.

I plan to use a new base for my next attempt now I've figured out the basics but I would like to be able to fix this ROM before I move on.

I saw several comments in other threads related to the National Dex and how to switch it on by default or simply allowing Evolving without receiving the Dex: (I have a link to the thread but I can't post it as it's first post)
I don't know if that would fix the issue I'm having but I tried to implement this fix and none of the tools I've been using let me view the code in a way that lines up with what's suggested here or in another similar thread.
I could remove the entire Post-game to solve the problem but that seems an extreme solution to what is likely an easy fix.

Also add I wanted to change the in-game trades and the XSE help recommended I find a tool for that, which I haven't been able to find either. Any help with that would also be appreciated.

Tools I've been using:
Advance Map, Gen 3 Tools (Moves, Trainer, Items, Pokemon Editor & Anti-Exploud), Gen III Suite, eXtreme Script Editor, PKSV.
I downloaded HxD to see if that would let me edit the code and I still didn't find anything that lines up with the linked fix above.

TL;DR: Broke Elite 4 with NatDex triggering post-game and can't find a tool to edit in-game trades. Send help.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
You should check the scripts of the NPC's you mention with XSE. You'll see that special 0x193 is used by the female cooltrainer blocking your path (and in the level script). That special checks whether the national dex is active or not.

In conclusion, you should rewrite those scripts to make them work with what you are intending to do;)

Years
You should check the scripts of the NPC's you mention with XSE. You'll see that special 0x193 is used by the female cooltrainer blocking your path (and in the level script). That special checks whether the national dex is active or not.

In conclusion, you should rewrite those scripts to make them work with what you are intending to do;)

I did have a look and saw the script where she tells you Lorelei is gone. If I straight up delete that script so she doesn't say anything, will it affect anything in the post-game? Or will it just stop her from blocking your path?
Or will I need to test it and find out?

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I did have a look and saw the script where she tells you Lorelei is gone. If I straight up delete that script so she doesn't say anything, will it affect anything in the post-game? Or will it just stop her from blocking your path?
Or will I need to test it and find out?

That will probably mess it up, yes. You'll have to write your own script in which the national dex won't be checked and instead you'll have to set a flag at some other point in-game to check in that cooltrainer script instead.

And also in the (type 03) level script.

Last edited:
Years
I used Hex Helper Double Oh to change the evolution issue, removing the National Dex being given at the start so I don't have the issue with Lorelei at all.

I'm still unsure how to access the Hex Code in the way I've seen suggested in other posts (A lot to sift through for information) so if anyone can give me advice on changing the In-Game Trades that would solve the only issue I believe I have left.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I used Hex Helper Double Oh to change the evolution issue, removing the National Dex being given at the start so I don't have the issue with Lorelei at all.

I'm still unsure how to access the Hex Code in the way I've seen suggested in other posts (A lot to sift through for information) so if anyone can give me advice on changing the In-Game Trades that would solve the only issue I believe I have left.

I think PGE has a built-in program to change the in-game trades. Alternatively you could use Trader Advanced.

Years
I think PGE has a built-in program to change the in-game trades. Alternatively you could use Trader Advanced.

Every link I've found for Trader Advanced has been dead links and I don't know what PGE stands for so can't find that either. I've heard them referenced before though would you know where to look?

Years
For what it's worth, I ran into issues with just changing the evolutions (at the very least, I couldn't get item evolutions from the national dex). So I included a national dex script and ran into the same elite four issue. This thread helped me resolve it...

Thanks for the advice I'll try this later because I would prefer it over the current method.

Back