• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Since the old one died I'm gonna make a new one and it'll be wonderful.

So yeah - a thread dedicated to any and all discussion of the beautiful game! That's football, by the way. Talk about the teams you love or hate, the leagues you follow, the players you take interest in and just about anything else to do with this sport.

Particularly interesting for me right now is the 2014 World Cup qualifiers! Anyone else?

Years
Sorry, never heard of this soccer thing.

So, Football. WC'14 has been rough for England. Last nights performance, as a whole, was just painful and heart renching to watch. :(​

Nihilego

Years
Idk some weird people seem to think it's a thing so I thought I'd just mention it. *shrug*

I didn't watch all of that match but the part I was paying attention to, I think I remember us being 1-0 up and thinking "...how the hell did this happen?". We were weeeeeak from what I saw, but admittedly that was only part of it. How'd the match finish in any case?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Valdes did great yesterday for once against France. I prefer Ferdinand-Terry over Smalling-Lescott.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Was watching the Mexico v. America game last night, I feel bad for Mexico right now. We can't close against freaking Jamaica or America.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
How did the match end? On the other side, Argentina managed to do a tie with Bolivia.

IKawaiiThief

Summer Sakura Trainer!
Years
Okay, WC '14 Qualifiers! England show their lack of focus and concentration when they think they're home and hosed in their 1-1 draw with the mighty Montenegro, Spain did a lot better than in the Finland match in their 1-0 win over France, Valdes and Monreal in particular having great games, Argentina will be disappointed about their 1-1 draw in La Paz with Bolivia, especially when you take into consideration Lionel Messi had a 1 VS 1 chance missed, but a massive improvement from their 6-1 loss there in La Paz some time ago though, and it's not the end of the world, they're still in control of their own destiny and doing great. Haven't really heard about the other qualis as yet though.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
They don't give a crap about the League anymore. Barça have won and Madrid have lost so why care about it when there is CL this week?

Also:

Bayern Munich 9-2 Hambourg

NINE

Nihilego

Years
[01/04/2013 19:54:02] Razor Leaf: walllll
[01/04/2013 19:54:07] Razor Leaf: chelsea knock united out of the fa cup
[01/04/2013 19:54:09] Razor Leaf: discuss
[01/04/2013 19:54:18] Went: oh, how was it?
[01/04/2013 19:54:25] Razor Leaf: chelsea 1 - 0 united
[01/04/2013 19:54:28] Went: last thing I saw at work, it was 0-0 by HT
[01/04/2013 19:54:42] Razor Leaf: scored off a goal which was either fantastic or pot luck
[01/04/2013 19:54:44] Razor Leaf: you decide

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I was pleased with the result of that replay. There were so many times that Chelsea should have been 2-0 up.And what a great save from Cech also! Fantastic, that's all I can say.

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
Years
Can we just appreciate the fact that Cardiff may just well be the first Welsh football team to be promoted to the Premiership instantly without being in the playoffs. Go bloody Cardiff!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
And now Barca did a tie 2-2 with PSG thanks to an error of Valdes. Barca : Messi/Xavi(p.k.) and PSG : Zlatan/Matuidi
Juventus lost against Bayern 2-0. Bayern : Alaba/Muller.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
It wasn't a mistake from Valdés, it was Bartra who deflected the ball and made him miss. Just a bunch of bad luck- Bartra should have never been on the pitch but for Mascherano's injury. Add that the first PSG goal was offside and Messi's injury and you can see how almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong for Barça- and still they didn't lose, which doesn't speak very well for PSG. I give them a 30% chance of doing anything at the Camp Nou- even less if Messi gets better by then, and I'm pretty sure he'll play the second half if he isn't well enough to stand the entire thing.

Bayern looks pretty much set though.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
Years
Anyway, atop the Npower championship, on Tuesday Watford beat hull 1-0. That leaves the RedBlueDragonBirds (Cardiff) lying 7 points above Hull and 8 above Watford, with a game in hand. God, after these past few yeards of being so close, can Malkay stop the end of year **** up, and just win the bloody league!

Years
As a Lithuanian, qualification for the World Cup would be amazing in itself. We do have a slight chance but that relies on smaller teams losing and us winning all of our remaining fixtures, maybe we can draw one.

I hope Ghana end up in the same group as Uruguay in the World Cup and then knock them out in the last game, that would be just given what happened last time when Suarez handballed a header off the line and then cheered like a madman when Gyan missed from the spot and Uruguay went on the eventually win. Oh how I despise Suarez...

EDIT: 2 derbies today; the first is the Manchester derby, well worth the watch even if you're not English. Second, my joint favorite team Lazio go against Roma in the Rome derby. If we win, we go 4th ahead of Inter and Fiorentina. But if we lose, Roma jump ahead of us.

It was sad to see the Fenerbahce 2 - 0 Lazio scoreline, hopefully we can mend things when we bring the tie to the Stadio Olimpico. Game on.

Last edited:
Years
I can't believe this died while I was gone. Get it together guys!

Anyway, time to do my classic Middlesbrough monopolising of the thread. Well I would but we're pretty depressing to talk about at the moment, 8 points in all of 2013 which would mean we'd be last by some distance if the season started in January, yet somehow we're only down to ninth.

So I'd rather just say Mancini thinks he needed more signings to win the title, yet he spent more than United this season anyway. It's amazing that he isn't among the various sackings this season yet.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2016
How can you lose a match when you are winning 1-2 with away goals advantage with 4 minutes of injury time to go.

I know how Bayern folks felt in the legendary Camp Nou final VS United. Except this was just a quarterfinal, but damn.

Don Manuel Pellegrini deserves to win something- what he manages to do with newbie teams in the CL is amazing.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
i'm somewhat back, the ps3 browser sucks but i guess i'll live.

football has not been so great at carrow road recently, i guess lots of draws will probably see us safe. also signed a dutch forward from lisbon, broken our record transfer fee 2 seasons in a row. might be cool.

Back