• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

U.S. 2018 mid-term elections thread

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Here in New Jersey we've got a Senate seat to vote on (Bob Menendez [D] vs. Bob Hugin [R]), and the House seat I get to vote on is Leonard Lance [R] vs. Tom Malinowski [D]. Governor was something we did last year.

I might vote Democrat for both, since, of the only two parties that ever have an actual shot of winning anything in this country, right now the Democrats are still the lesser of the two evils to me.

But there's also a part of me doesn't want to bother with voting at all this November. I so very much agree with what twocows has said about the Democratic Party. I'm not going to give my vote to the Republican Party though, as I'm a left leaning person and don't think that voting against the DNC is going to get them to wake up or anything. I'm just getting tired of my right to vote being squandered on playing the "which is the shiniest turd" game and don't really want to be a part of enabling either party to keep up their shit by giving them my vote.

Years
Honestly, nothing is going to wake up the DNC unless they suffer major losses in 2018 and 2020. I know not all Democrats are like the ones not condemning the recent protests, and there are certainly some Republicans I wouldn't like if I knew about them. But keep in mind you're voting for the party that will represent you in Congress, and I don't see DNC playing any nicer in the future.

Last edited:
Years
....and Republicans are the ones playing nice? They are the ones who are acting hardcore partisan on the issues of this country, and are acting hypocritical on so many levels at the moment. We've seen Republicans act stubborn towards Democrats, and they have had Congress for the past six years. I'll wait to see whether or not the Democrats "[play] any nicer in the future" rather than make the assumption that they are just as corrupt as the Republican Party.

Additionally, at least the DNC did good in removing Debbie Wasserman Schultz from her position as chair in 2016, and that was the basis of corruption in the Democratic Party.

Last edited:
Years
hey remember when trump was on stage with vladimir putin during the summit and basically backstabbed the country and republicans were "outraged" but otherwise didn't do anything

good times

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'll wait to see whether or not the Democrats "[play] any nicer in the future" rather than make the assumption that they are just as corrupt as the Republican Party.
sure, one party might be less bad than the other, but it doesn't change the fact that both are still dirty and that we shouldn't settle for the less dirty one

Years
sure, one party might be less bad than the other, but it doesn't change the fact that both are still dirty and that we shouldn't settle for the less dirty one

That's how it always is, though. You can't cross your fingers and hope for either party to change; you start by voting for local elections and make changes from the ground up. Staying at home isn't making your voice heard, it's saying you really don't give a shit what happens anymore.

Last edited:
Years
I can agree with this statement. I agree in that yes both parties are evil, and that really showed in the 2016 Presidential Election with all the uptick in third-party voting we saw because millions of Americans disliked both the Democratic and Republican candidates. However, the prominence of the two-party system is just too high for third parties to shine through and reach the top.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
That's how it always is, though. You can't cross your fingers and hope for either party to change; you start by voting for local elections and make changes from the ground up. Staying at home isn't making your voice heard, it's saying you really don't give a shit what happens anymore.
It's not so much a "hey let's do nothing and hope something changes for no reason because that is totally logical" as it is a "what can we even do really?" sort of thing.

What do you do when there's never any good candidates? What do you do when the good ones often don't have a realistic chance of winning, and in significant enough numbers at that? What impact can some useless nobody like me ever even have?

Years
What impact can some useless nobody like me ever even have?

I'd like to focus on this question more importantly because this is a re-worded version of "why vote if it doesn't matter", which time and time again is proven to be utter crap, bluntly speaking. If you've been paying attention to special elections for the past year, you'd know yourself that it isn't true. Elections that come within a hair are why individual people's vote matters. A lot.

While it's fair to be cynical and I don't blame you on being the such, to imply that your voice is useless is fundamentally false.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
This is a tough election for me. Originally I was thinking of voting for Bob Hugin over Bob Menendez because of the latter's political scandal...and then I found out pretty quickly that Bob Hugin had his own issues that were far worse than Bob Menendez. After that, I decided that I wouldn't vote as my Congressmen was safe and I saw no point in voting for who should be Senator of New Jersey. I decided stop paying attention to politics for a few months. However, what has gotten me motivated was the Brett Kavanaugh nomination and confirmation. With this, I'm very likely going to vote.

However, I'm waiting for the Senate debate on October 24th to see what Bob Menendez will do as Senator of New Jersey, cus he isn't as outspoken as his counterpart Cory Booker. I'm willing to hold my nose and vote for Bob Menendez, if it means stopping Bob Hugin as he would've voted for Brett Kavanaugh...despite everything bad with Brett Kavanaugh. :/

In terms of which party will hold the Senate, it appears likely that the Republicans will hold it.

In the House, it appears likely that the Democrats will control it. However, we will see by how much.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I think that I am voting left (first time voter) mainly because I am kind of sick of the insane mess that this administration has become.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
....and Republicans are the ones playing nice? They are the ones who are acting hardcore partisan on the issues of this country, and are acting hypocritical on so many levels at the moment.
I don't really see how what they're doing is any different from what the Democrats did when they had a majority in both houses. Passing bills with partisan margins isn't anything new; as an example, the ACA passed entirely on party lines. This, at least, is just politics as usual.

We've seen Republicans act stubborn towards Democrats, and they have had Congress for the past six years. I'll wait to see whether or not the Democrats "[play] any nicer in the future" rather than make the assumption that they are just as corrupt as the Republican Party.
I guess I don't really get what you mean by Republicans being stubborn; they're passing bills because they're in power, which is exactly what the Democrats do when they're in power. I also don't really get how you see the Republicans' behavior as being distinct from the Democrats with respect to partisanship. Can you clarify what exactly you're referring to?

The main difference I've seen lately is that most Democrats seem perfectly willing to tolerate other Democrats acting in ways that are almost cartoonishly villainous. When Maxine Waters called for targeted harassment of Trump cabinet members, a couple of high ranking Democrats condemned it in a one or two line post that they had to have known no one would really pay attention to. This was something that I felt should have resulted in widespread condemnation (possibly censure) by the DNC at large, and yet as far as I know, she never really faced any consequences internally for what she said. I'm not going to say I think the Trump cabinet members are particularly great people themselves, but I think it's very wrong to encourage violence or harassment over political differences, especially when there's an existing problem of people already doing exactly that. Her statements legitimize and embolden people who think harassment and violence are legitimate reactions to political disagreement and I lack the words to describe how awful I think that is.

If it was just this one thing, I could probably just overlook it, but I was already really irritated in 2016 by the DNC's tepid attitude toward what I see as an alarming upswing in extremist attitudes on the left. It seems to me like they're becoming more forgiving of it rather than less.

As for the other side, I haven't really seen Republicans going out and harassing Democrat politicians in restaurants, in the streets, etc., and I haven't seen Republican congresspeople encouraging them to do that, either. Whether or not I think congressional Republicans actually care about taking the high road, they're certainly content to look like they're taking the high road by comparison (for obvious reasons, they have no problem calling out the antics of the far left). I'm both surprised and disappointed that the Democrats look so bad to me right now that the Republicans can look reasonable by comparison even with Trump acting how he does on Twitter, but that's the situation I find myself in.

Additionally, at least the DNC did good in removing Debbie Wasserman Schultz from her position as chair in 2016, and that was the basis of corruption in the Democratic Party.
I think it was a good move but I hardly think she was solely responsible for all of the party's ills. I know she was the chair, but what exactly was she responsible for within the party? I don't know how much impact getting rid of her really had. On the contrary, it seems to me like the Democratic Party of today has the exact same problems that led me to vote almost straight ticket Libertarian in 2016: they don't really care about their extremists and their intentions seem to diverge from what I believed their principles to be. If they took a much harder line with their extremists and realigned their platform with what their principles were 10-15 years ago (peace, prosperity, progress), I'd be back to supporting them pretty quick.

Years
The main difference I've seen lately is that most Democrats seem perfectly willing to tolerate other Democrats acting in ways that are almost cartoonishly villainous.

While you can hold whatever beliefs you want, I find this in particular to be especially really interesting considering the Republican Party that you like to exonerate so much is bending hella hard to a President who is acting/has been acting "cartoonishly villainous" for as long as he's been in office.

The entire reasoning for your post is also interesting, considering that you use the larger democratic base heckling top-ranking Republican officials as some sort of moral line that's been breached, but apparently not the fact that the Republican Party refused to do literally anything about children being separated from their families? What about tolerating the fact that during this, toddlers were forced to represent themselves during immigration court? What about when the President starting cozying up to Vladimir Putin during the Summit, threw the country under a bus, and all that did was earn some "scolding" from the Republicans and no real action from them? They're the ones in power, surely they'd be able to do something, right? Imagine if Obama did half the stuff Trump got away with -- Mitch Mconnell would just personally stuff impeachment papers down Obama's throat.

For all the disappointment and pessimism you express about the Democrats and their base, you seem either perfectly content with (or ignore) the fact that the party across the isle is currently doing nothing to stand up to a President who's pretty content with throwing LGBT people under the bus, as well as the fact that -- oh look -- the GA Republican Secretary of State is accused of blocking 53,000 voter registrations (the vast majority of which are African-American) because of fears of "voter fraud" lol which is a classic Republican cop-out move.

I mean, I can go on and on. You'd like to use Maxine Waters as an example of Democrats going too far? That's funny considering that Ted Cruz joked about his opponent sharing a jail cell with Hillary Clinton. What kind of crime did Beto commit? Being a Democrat and running a legitimate campaign? Good to know that these things are horrible felonies apparently. Not even going to touch on Clinton because that's beating a supremely dead horse.

Also interesting that you apparently don't see Republicans as "stubborn". Have you forgotten that the GOP has made it their life goal to repeat Obamacare, including abolishing protections for people with pre-existing conditions? Hey, here's a gem actually -- some House Republicans are actually campaigning on being the champion for those who suffer from pre-existing conditions despite voting to repeal the ACA -- so you can make what you will of that. In my books, that's certainly cartoonish in the sense that it's just so ridiculously funny and mindblowing in 2018 in the age of publicly available information that people would lie so blantatly like that, but that's just me.

Like I said, you're free to ultimately choose what you want to believe, but to pretend the Republicans are god-fearing American patriots who's hands are clean of all sort of moral wrongdoing is ridiculous. While the Democrats certainly aren't a shining example of an amazing political party, I don't see Maxine Waters or really any self-respecting high level Democratic official attacking the media during a time where suspected explosives are being sent to Democratic officials, so...

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I think it's very wrong to encourage violence or harassment over political differences, especially when there's an existing problem of people already doing exactly that. Her statements legitimize and embolden people who think harassment and violence are legitimate reactions to political disagreement and I lack the words to describe how awful I think that is.

Hey, remember when Montana GOP Rep. Greg Gianforte assaulted a reporter and pled guilty of assault? And then a guy called Donald Trump praised him for exerting violence?

"Any guy who can do a body slam, he's my guy!"
"I heard he body slammed a reporter and he was way up, and I said, wait a minute, I know Montana very well, it may help him!"

Here, so you can listen to it yourself: https://youtu.be/QwiaCUUScqc?t=62

I mean, I think it's a bit strange for you to go all-in on a random democratic representative for "emboldening" people who think that violence is a legitimate reaction when you have the president of the US and leader of the other party publicly praising a GOP congressman who committed actual assault.

I was already really irritated in 2016 by the DNC's tepid attitude toward what I see as an alarming upswing in extremist attitudes on the left. It seems to me like they're becoming more forgiving of it rather than less.

I mean, remember when a guy called Donald Trump said he'd like to punch a protester in his rallies? And when he promised to pay the legal bills for any of his supporters who assaulted one of those protesters? And when one of his supporters did sucker punch a protester and he blamed the protester? And when he said the neo-nazi march in Charlottesville was full of "very fine people"?

Like, I think you have a very serious case of seeing motes in every Democrat instead of the 10-metre-tall beam called Donald J. Trump, who is using the highest office in the country to do every bad thing you accuse democrats of, combined into a single, relentless person.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The Republicans certainly aren't clean either, not even remotely, but the main point I got out of twocow's post was more how it seems that people these days are so very willing to turn a blind eye to or try to justify any wrongdoing that their chosen side commits, while calling out the other side for the very same things. People demand fairness and accountability, but apparently only from the people they have deemed their enemies.

It's something that I think applies to not just Democrats and Republicans, but to all social/political issues in general really.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
While you can hold whatever beliefs you want, I find this in particular to be especially really interesting considering the Republican Party that you like to exonerate so much is bending hella hard to a President who is acting/has been acting "cartoonishly villainous" for as long as he's been in office.
I don't really think they're much better and I think the way the President acts is unbecoming to say the least. That doesn't change how I feel about the Democrats, though. There's definitely a very real problem with people on the left harassing people on the right over political differences and there's very little indication that this is even recognized as a significant problem internally. I won't vote for Democrats until there's an about-face on that because I think it's the core of the left's toxicity right now; everything the Democrats do right now is poisoned by that mindset and until there's at least some admission that it's a really nasty problem, I think supporting the Democrats would be bad for the country. Right now, I'm not very happy with either the Democrats or the Republicans. I briefly entertained the idea of voting Republican, but after thinking about it, I don't think that'll happen. I'll probably end up mostly voting Libertarian like I usually do, but I have to review all of the candidates first.

The entire reasoning for your post is also interesting, considering that you use the larger democratic base heckling top-ranking Republican officials as some sort of moral line that's been breached,
Yes, I generally think encouraging violence over political differences is a pretty bad line to cross. Self-defense is one thing, actively telling people they should go out and harass their political opponents is another.

but apparently not the fact that the Republican Party refused to do literally anything about children being separated from their families? What about tolerating the fact that during this, toddlers were forced to represent themselves during immigration court? What about when the President starting cozying up to Vladimir Putin during the Summit, threw the country under a bus, and all that did was earn some "scolding" from the Republicans and no real action from them? They're the ones in power, surely they'd be able to do something, right? Imagine if Obama did half the stuff Trump got away with -- Mitch Mconnell would just personally stuff impeachment papers down Obama's throat.

For all the disappointment and pessimism you express about the Democrats and their base, you seem either perfectly content with (or ignore) the fact that the party across the isle is currently doing nothing to stand up to a President who's pretty content with throwing LGBT people under the bus, as well as the fact that -- oh look -- the GA Republican Secretary of State is accused of blocking 53,000 voter registrations (the vast majority of which are African-American) because of fears of "voter fraud" lol which is a classic Republican cop-out move.
These are completely separate issues that really have nothing to do with the original point of encouraging harassment over political differences. Rather, it's a list of your personal grievances with the President and his politics, some of which I outright agree with, others which I could probably spend some time arguing separately. Considering I'm not voting for the President (he's not even up for re-election), I don't see how any of it is relevant unless you're offering it up as a reason why harassment over political differences is acceptable.

Let me explain why I take issue with this so much. Mankind has a very long history of solving our problems through violent means. Violence is our natural response to perceived injustices, valid or not. Early forms of government organized this so power was centralized and people weren't killing each other to solve disagreements, but that meant ordinary people didn't really have any way to redress their grievances other than to hope the despot was reasonable.

The system that the founding fathers created was designed to allow ordinary people to resolve problems through peaceful and intelligent means like discourse and advocacy. Any problem you might have can (ideally) be resolved by working within the system, you just need to be able to convince people to your way of thinking. There are definitely some flaws with our system that interfere with how it should work in an ideal world, but the core idea was still a very good one.

Normalizing harassment as a way to redress political grievances moves us backward toward our old way of conflict resolution. No matter who you are or what you believe, there will always be some great villain committing some great evil. It's normal to want to dehumanize the people you disagree with, to want to stop the "great evil" through the most direct means. It even feels good because you're "fighting evil." It's also wrong and undermines a system that I believe was a huge step forward, one designed to allow a violent species to resolve problems through non-violent means while still giving ordinary people some degree of power over the way they are governed.

I mean, I can go on and on. You'd like to use Maxine Waters as an example of Democrats going too far? That's funny considering that Ted Cruz joked about his opponent sharing a jail cell with Hillary Clinton.
That was poor taste but I don't think it was remotely similar to inciting harassment.

Also interesting that you apparently don't see Republicans as "stubborn". Have you forgotten that the GOP has made it their life goal to repeat Obamacare, including abolishing protections for people with pre-existing conditions? Hey, here's a gem actually -- some House Republicans are actually campaigning on being the champion for those who suffer from pre-existing conditions despite voting to repeal the ACA -- so you can make what you will of that. In my books, that's certainly cartoonish in the sense that it's just so ridiculously funny and mindblowing in 2018 in the age of publicly available information that people would lie so blantatly like that, but that's just me.
I get that you don't like the Republican Party's politics. I disagree with a lot of their politics as well. You're not getting the core problem I have with the Democrats. It's not about what their stance is on healthcare or abortion or whatever; it goes a lot deeper than that.

Like I said, you're free to ultimately choose what you want to believe, but to pretend the Republicans are god-fearing American patriots who's hands are clean of all sort of moral wrongdoing is ridiculous.
I don't think the Republicans are free of moral wrongdoing at all. I have a lot of problems with the Republican Party's politics, and I have a lot of problems with the way Trump in particular behaves. I don't yet see the Republicans having as severe of a problem with responding to political differences with harassment, though.

Hey, remember when Montana GOP Rep. Greg Gianforte assaulted a reporter and pled guilty of assault? And then a guy called Donald Trump praised him for exerting violence?

"Any guy who can do a body slam, he's my guy!"
"I heard he body slammed a reporter and he was way up, and I said, wait a minute, I know Montana very well, it may help him!"

Here, so you can listen to it yourself: https://youtu.be/QwiaCUUScqc?t=62

I mean, I think it's a bit strange for you to go all-in on a random democratic representative for "emboldening" people who think that violence is a legitimate reaction when you have the president of the US and leader of the other party publicly praising a GOP congressman who committed actual assault.
I have to admit, that's a good point. I don't at all like that Trump defended that. I think it's morally wrong to justify violence as a response to political differences, however the reporter may have been acting. The underlying implication is that it's acceptable to use violence if someone's doing something you find annoying; I think that's wrong, and I think it's wrong to defend it.

I mean, remember when a guy called Donald Trump said he'd like to punch a protester in his rallies? And when he promised to pay the legal bills for any of his supporters who assaulted one of those protesters? And when one of his supporters did sucker punch a protester and he blamed the protester?
That's also a good point.

Like, I think you have a very serious case of seeing motes in every Democrat instead of the 10-metre-tall beam called Donald J. Trump, who is using the highest office in the country to do every bad thing you accuse democrats of, combined into a single, relentless person.
I definitely agree that Trump inciting people is a major problem. It's entirely possible my grievances with the left may be blinding me to similar issues present on the right, or issues that are starting to become present on the right. It doesn't change how I feel about the Democrats at all, but it may be that Trump has started the Republicans down the same path that originally distanced me from the Democrats. If that's the case, it's very worrying. At the very least, I don't want to enable that in any way. I appreciate the response, it definitely gave me something to think about.

The Republicans certainly aren't clean either, not even remotely, but the main point I got out of twocow's post was more how it seems that people these days are so very willing to turn a blind eye to or try to justify any wrongdoing that their chosen side commits, while calling out the other side for the very same things. People demand fairness and accountability, but apparently only from the people they have deemed their enemies.

It's something that I think applies to not just Democrats and Republicans, but to all social/political issues in general really.
For sure. It's something I've done, too, I won't claim to be innocent. It's really easy to see the injustice in what the other side's doing, it's a lot harder to see it when it's the people you like.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
So the day is here.

Now we wait and see what happens.

Back