• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How hard for you is to write an essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I always hated it with a passion. I never really saw a reason for them other than to be a time waster.

TY

depends on the subject, if its one I have much knowledge of and interest towards, it's fairly easy

otherwise its hell

Years
The actual act of writing an essay isn't hard, although it is certainly tedious. The problem comes when extra requirements are imposed like word limits/quotas. You always either get a high quota on a very limited topic or a ridiculously low limit on a very complex topic.

Last edited:
Years
Hated it in school but I actually loved it in university.

My technique, for any topic of essay, is to write it backwards. I start with a beta-conclusion so I know where I want to end up. Then I write the bulk of the essay, constantly going back to my conclusion,to see what I need to focus on to end up at the conclusion I've already written. Along the way I will inevitably change my mind on a few things so the conclusion ends up changing at times too which is fine. Only after I'm happy with the bulk, and also the final conclusion too, I then write the introduction which then becomes the easiest part since I've already completed the essay so I know exactly how I should introduce it.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
for English class, they just come naturally. i don't really have to put in any effort into them and i still make A's on them most of the time.

writing an essay for any other subject, i'd be horrid at though.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Long ago I didn't like them. Now they're an easy A unless the teacher is particularly strict.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
Throughout my experience in government schools, as so many of you have expressed in so many words, despised being coerced into writing in a format that would not allow me to express my thoughts. This, of course, assumes I was interested in expressing my thoughts in such an environment, and during that time in my life.

Now, depending whether I am feeling expressive with my thoughts, and able to somewhat organize my self-ramblings, I can write in a journalistic-style that may as well be an essay.

That said, I will also state that I oftentimes find that only using writing as a medium of expressing thoughts a bit constrictive. I would prefer utilizing dictation software initially in order to expressing my thoughts, and use writing as a means of organizing my thoughts.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
As someone who wants to write for a living, writing essays, research papers and proposals aren't that hard. In fact, I've become a pro at them. There will be times that I may mess up when it comes to grammar and stuff, but I can do them just fine. :)

grammarly is your friend

Bay

Years
Depends of the subject for me also. History and business essays I liked to write about, other subjects not so much. I find it's much easier for me though when I have an outline and have my introduction, key points, and conclusion already planned out.

With that said, I vastly prefer fiction writing haha.

Years
I find it interesting replying to this thread considering anyone who knows me kinda jabs at me for making long essay-length posts lmao.

Anyway, I actually used to really hate essays back in high school but that's only really because the biggest hurdle of starting an essay is actually starting off with a good introductory sentence. After that's done, the rest of the essay essentially more or less writes itself in my mind.

It also helped that I had really good English teachers who were particularly strict about doing essays, too. So essentially I kind of developed a talent for writing as a whole thanks to that.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
In high school it was ezpz. When I went to college, I was like "what the actual fuck is this?"

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Like others have said, it really depends on the subject. If the topic is something I am interested in, I don't have a problem writing about it.

If I am not interested in the topic, I can usually still write something but it takes me a bit longer to get started and get into the groove.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
lmao so when I graduated high school, I hated essays so much that I partially picked my major based on the sole fact that I would never have to write any essays.

...and then several years later I ended up switching from my math degree to an English degree and revelled in writing essays instead of struggling through math and programming assignments. The thing is, my English degree wasn't in literature. I still hate writing essays on literature. I got to write essays on humanity and the Internet, Pokemon (wrote several about Pokemon, actually!), and all kinds of interesting things. When you're genuinely interested in and excited about the things you're writing about, essays are so much fun! Whereas in high school I'd just desperately be trying to eke out as many words as possible to reach the bare minimum, in university I was constantly having to edit myself down because there were just so many cool things I wanted to analyze in my papers.

So writing is pretty easy for me now. By the end of my undergrad, I could usually knock out an 8 page paper in a day or two, so long as I'd done all my preliminary reading/research. :) Longer papers took a bit longer, of course, but mostly just because they were more involved with lot of references to hunt down.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
During school I hated essays but now I write articles in my free time. Think its due to in school the type is set while what I write on is based on what I want.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I'm fine at writing essays when it comes to subjects such as Legal Studies, Economics, History etc. It feels extremely natural to me to write essays on those subjects and it helps that I am interested in it too :D However I struggle a lot with English essays - I've never done that well in English, as I just don't really understand what the teacher is looking for and the subject matter doesn't really interest me. :( Plus our English department is renowned for being super harsh with their marking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back