• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

planes and flying

Years
have you ever flown on a plane before? if so, when was the last time you have flown and where did you go? how are you with planes? do you enjoy flying? (BONUS) window, middle, or aisle seat and why?

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I flew on a plane two weeks ago, coincidentally! It was the first time i'd flown since I was very young (maybe 8 or 9), and I found it absolutely fine.

Hopefully i'll be flying again real soon :>

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
hissssssssssssssssssssssssss

I have been on planes in the past and always hated it. Since then, I've developed a severe phobia of flying and planes in general and will actively stay away from airports or anything of the sorts. I refuse to fly. Which... is going to make it really difficult to travel. :/

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Traveled from SFO to IAD and vice versa for the holidays this past December. The thing that drives me nuts is the change in air pressure. It can cause some real issues with my ears, particularly if they descend too quickly. As for Window, Middle or Aisle seats, its common knowledge that middle sucks because they cram you in there like cattle. Window may seem nice as it gives you something to do but generally they have TV sets to watch movies or live TV. If not you should have something on you to occupy yourself for the flight. Meaning you always want an Aisle seat because you can stretch your legs a bit and you don't have to tip-toe or struggle to get by other passengers to get to the bathroom. I've gone the entire flight(which is roughly 5 hours) without going but its a huge strain and generally bathrooms are packed upon landing. Best to go at least once, preferably an hour or so before landing.

Oh and Airport security sucks -.-. I demand my Constitutional Rights back.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I've flown a lot since I was a little kid. Sometimes I get a bit freaked out but for the most part I'm fine. I try to just listen to music and hope my motion sickness does not get the better of me. Last time I flew was flying back to my town in Spain from Paris. Not a long flight so I was fine. I usually prefer Aisle just because it's easier if I'm going to get sick to get to a bathroom.

Last edited:
Years
The last time I flew was about 3 weeks ago back home to Guangzhou from Amsterdam, had a few days there after my main holiday back in England.

I love flying, I flew 12 times last year. I'm so thankful I basically have 2 major local airports because I live close enough to Hong Kong to use that airport to fly to and from, as well as Guangzhou. I love trying new airlines when I can but the main airlines for both airports: China Southern (Guangzhou) and Cathay (Hong Kong) are both great airlines. I'm really lucky actually that China Southern is Guangzhou's main airline because other major Chinese airlines don't even come close to China Southern's standard of efficiency. I'm a bit of a flight/airline nerd haha.

Also: aisle seat because I'm tall and I need that space to manspread.

Years
haven't been on a plane in nearly a decade, and that was to visit family in another country.

... not sure how I'd feel about going on a plane these days. I think back then I handled it pretty well, so I'd imagine I'd be the same way.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i went on a plane over christmas break to see my boyfriend in washington. it was terrifying as it was my first time flying alone. the second time going back home wasn't as bad. i think i could handle it whenever i have to do it again.

Years
I used to fly semi-frequently as a kid, despite it scaring the absolute shit out of me. Now days I don't fly at all because a series of bad experiences on planes on top of that absolute terror have just totally killed it for me. Truly I fucking hate it.

That being said, I have a girlfriend who not only lives in a different country but who is fond of travel so chances are good I'll be getting on another plane in the future.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I don't fly much, but it's mainly because I don't really have wanderlust and travel doesn't excite me

Last time I flew would be to Hong Kong for a wedding about 2 years ago now holy shit time flies

I'm not really scared of flying or anything, if anything it's the stress of packing and preparing/the whole process of getting on a flight and how hectic airports are that gets me more - once I'm actually on the plane I'm pretty relaxed. My last flight I flew alone both ways, it's like 14 hours between HK and Canada and I really enjoyed that solitude of just being able to play on my Switch, watch movies, and nap undisturbed for all that time. The seat got a bit uncomfortable after a while ngl, but being the huge hermit I am I really liked that rare moment of alone time. Bonus was the seat next to me was empty (at least on the initial flight)!! so I had a lot of extra arm room and a place to put my stuff.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Last time I flew was I believe to Washington to visit my dad. This was years ago before I got my job and I haven't been able to really travel since.

I've been flying for a long time now so I've never had this fear of flying like other people have. I find it relaxing though if I didn't bring anything to do while on the flight then it can be very, very boring. I don't think I've ever had a bad flight, however. Longest flight I took was to Ecuador with a layover in Panama iirc. We've also flown to Honduras which has one of those scary landings at their airports so that was fun hahah.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I have not flown. Although I have mixed feelings because inevitably I probably will.

Years
I flew on two planes for the first time in my life the other week and had an amazing experience! First flight was from Richmond to Ft. Lauderdale, and the second flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa.

The experience is amazing and it's definitely much better than traveling by car over extended distances.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I've only been on a plane twice in my life, which was about 4 and a half years ago. Went out to Montana, and then there was the flight home. I don't remember it being bad, and I very much prefer flying to driving for travel.

also while I'm here, this gives me the opportunity to throw in one of these again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zmRFvlDuX0

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'm terrified of flying, but I do it anyway.

I like being in the front / middle, and having the window seat.

My last flight was from NY to Atlanta to visit family.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
why do you think so? Are you going somewhere?

My family likes traveling around in the Summer, although we have yet to venture out of the states. I can assume someday we will.

Also, although it's a while off, I would also like to participate in a travel study before I finish college.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I've actually never been on the plane yet. The few times I went out of state it was during very long car rides. I would like to experience flying on a plane someday, though.

My sister did take a plane from Arizona to California to visit us a couple months ago. Her flight got delayed by a few hours, that was during the government shutdown haha.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've flown heaps before. I suppose it's to be expected when your family likes travel, you lived in Australia and a bunch of your other family members live on the other side of the world. So I've gotten used to it, and have even done the overseas flight from Australia to Poland and back by myself pre-teens. (FLight attendants were paying attention to me, mind. We had a good deal - they kept giving me chocolate and I was well behaved. :V)

Already flown twice this year and will do so a few more times this year, including next month.

Window or aisle seats for me. No strong preference, I guess if it's not a night flight I like to see what's out the window.

Back