• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What's taking them so long to reveal the starter evolutions?

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
So... who else here thinks Chespin is definitly going to become half Rock type? His final evo is most likely going to be Grass/Rock.

Grass/Rock is a good guess. Rollout is a move supporting this, but maybe it's just there for its aesthetics. With it being a hedgehog wearing a spiny shell, it seems natural. There's even the Grass/Dark speculation from the beginning, but I can't truly see this happening. I'm perfectly fine with either typing. Grass/Steel is pretty good too, since it will only have 2 weaknesses.

With Fennekin; Fire/Psychic, Fire/Fairy, or Fire/Fighting. I won't care if it becomes /Fighting, in fact I'll laugh from the rage produced.

Froakie? If Fennekin doesn't become /Fighting, then either Water/Fighting, (if Chespin doesn't become /Dark) Water/Dark, or pure Water.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Like others have said, the Kalos starter Pokemon's evolutions are being retained from the public eye in order to build up suspense. I kind of hope that the evolutions aren't available at the aforementioned demo events, so that everyone has a (technically) fair shot come October 12, 2013. Leaks via Internet have also become irritating to me (I would prefer it if either the games' release date was honored, or the companies responsible for the most official news (namely, Game Freak, Nintendo, Corocoro, and The Pokemon Company International), release the information themselves), so I don't really have a problem waiting until the official release of XY or some other official announcement/revelation. Admittedly, the anticipation is driving me bonkers as well, but I can wait. XD

This reminds me of back when the Unova starter Pokemon's fully-evolved forms were (dubiously) leaked at first... I think I was disappointed because Emboar wasn't quadrupedal and Samurott looked ugly (and its English name bugged me for a while too), but I give Emboar, Samurott, and Serperior much warmer reception nowadays (the later-released Ken Sugimori art did wonders for those Pokemon designs, because the sprites were quite iffy to me). Maybe if we're showered with a lot of awesome Kalos Pokemon designs come the games' release, we won't be too concerned if the Kalos starters' fully-evolved forms turn out to be disappointing; I'm hoping that more excellent designs are on the way, though...

I'm just hoping that Fennekin's fully-evolved form doesn't resemble Ninetales too much (although the kyubi/nine-tailed fox is a specific variety of kitsune, the two concepts practically seem to be irrevocably intertwined these days, so that most kitsune tend to sport 9 tails, at least from my experience... It's fortunate that Zorua and Zoroark managed to avoid being "9-tailed" while still being cool)...

Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.

Tell that to the Trainers who despise Fennekin and Torchic (which *should* be nonexistent) and are mesmerized by Charmander, Chimchar, and/or Tepig... XD

That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~

I'm hoping that Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, but Fire/Fairy or monotype Fire is passable (although I'm kind of getting sick of Fairy Pokemon already @_@)... I'd probably quit playing Pokemon if we get a 4th Fire/Fighting fully-evolved Fire starter Pokemon, though.. >_>

Wow...I didn't know that Froakie has had the concept of ninja as its speculated origin, but such an incorporation in its design wouldn't hurt... I mean, you can't go wrong with ninjas... XD I haven't really settled on what I'm hoping for... Pure Water wouldn't hurt, and Water/Dark, Water/Poison, and Water/Fighting would be cool too (although the Water/Fight combo seems to copy Poliwrath a bit too much for my tastes, especially since Poliwrath is tadpole-based/very loosely frog-based and was the first Pokemon to sport such a unique type combination... Ugh, but Froakie's design looks like it would lend itself so well to a fighting discipline! :3) Water/Fairy would be out there, but it could work...

As for Chespin, Grass/Rock would probably work well... (although I really hate facing that type combination when my Pokemon lack a decently-powered Ice-type or Fighting-type move... >.<) Grass/Steel would work great as well, due to its spiny/sharp hedgehog-influenced quills/protrusions...

In any case, I would love to discover the starters' final evolutionary forms as I play through the game, although the nature of the Internet and its dominance today will pretty much make that plan nigh impossible for me, as I'll probably be getting XY or their potential third version counterpart well after the start of Generation 6... :(
I think it's more fun/engaging that way as you go along through the game(s) rather than having them spoiled/revealed beforehand; I remember when it was months after I first started Sapphire and knew about Blaziken & Sceptile that I finally found out what the heck a Swampert actually looked like (I think I saw it first during a Link Battle or a battle within the Battle Tower's premises...) XD I had kept on hearing other people say its name, so I knew that it *existed* as Mudkip's fully-evolved form, but it took me a while until I sighted its sprite in-game... This was around a time where I was newly-introduced to the game and didn't really search for the identity of Pokemon species using sources that were external to the game itself...

Spr_3r_260.png

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Grass/Rock is a good guess. Rollout is a move supporting this, but maybe it's just there for its aesthetics. With it being a hedgehog wearing a spiny shell, it seems natural. There's even the Grass/Dark speculation from the beginning, but I can't truly see this happening. I'm perfectly fine with either typing. Grass/Steel is pretty good too, since it will only have 2 weaknesses.

With Fennekin; Fire/Psychic, Fire/Fairy, or Fire/Fighting. I won't care if it becomes /Fighting, in fact I'll laugh from the rage produced.

Froakie? If Fennekin doesn't become /Fighting, then either Water/Fighting, (if Chespin doesn't become /Dark) Water/Dark, or pure Water.

I won't care either if Fennekin becomes half Fighting. I've sworn to myself that I will dance, sing and cheer if it does! XD I just think it will be hilarious, since by then even I'ld be frustrated with how many Fire/Fighting starters we would have by that point.

I think Chespin's evo will be half Rock also because it has described to have a hard shell and has similarities with nuts. Nuts are definitly hard like rocks.

And I'ld like a Water/Fighting type Froakie evo. I want Fennekin to be half Ground because fennic foxes like in the desert, but that's pretty unlikely.

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
Years
Just a guess but, maybe it's because they revealed the pokemon in the last generations because the games in japan were released before US and EU?

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Starters generate the most hype because for whatever reason almost everyone feels obliged to use them, so it becomes a very relevant matter for discussion around here. Makes sense from a commercial perspective to reveal what is perceived to be a very major subject among the last, so that everyone is 'into' Pokemon at the moment of release. If they did reveal starter evolutions at relatively earlier times in past generations though, suppose they might be switching it up to 'keep us guessing', as it were.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~

HAHA, i was thinking about wandering here and was not dissappointed.

Maybe Chespin will be a Grass\Steel, Or Grass\Ground (because lets face it guys- he is a F'in squirrel with spikes)....

I can easily see Fennekin as fire/fairy or fire/psychic. (Wont be surprised if they will make him a nintelas with boxing gloves on,though).

And Froakie im guessing Water\Poison or Water/Ice (Because it is clearly states th white goo he has on him are bubbles).

What do you think guys?

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
You'd be truely mad if it were Fire/Fighting now, so I don't see any difference between now or later.

Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.

I actually think they're saying this: Since we've created this new thing called "mega evolutions" and since Torchic is the only pokémon that mega evolves that you can't catch in the wild, here's a free one from us.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I actually think they're saying this: Since we've created this new thing called "mega evolutions" and since Torchic is the only pokémon that mega evolves that you can't catch in the wild, here's a free one from us.

No one said Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, Mewtwo, or Absol were wild in the Kalos Region either so whose to say that any of the Mega Pokemon we've seen can be caught?

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
Spoiler:

Is this even real, i don't wanna sound stupid asking about it.~_~
Oh what! When did this come out?

I don't particularly like the look of any of those... So I hope it isn't real. But man, printed and with what looks to be game boxes on either side does make it look somewhat legitimate.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it just looks to be laminated paper propped up near actual Game Freak stuff. More than likely high quality dedicated fan art.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
I'm calling fake. I mean look at the pokeball and the lazily cut out male trainer.
If its real then I will be dissapointed for sure. I expected much more then that.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
No one said Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, Mewtwo, or Absol were wild in the Kalos Region either so whose to say that any of the Mega Pokemon we've seen can be caught?

Yeah, except those are all Pokémon that the player has traditionally encountered through normal gameplay. There's nothing that says that they can't make Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, or even Mewtwo encounterable in the wild of the Kalos region. Hell, the reveal of the Mega evos probably means they will. However, Torchic, being a starter, is the only Pokémon that has never been encounterable in the wild in any game. Therefore, Gamefreak is solving that problem by having a special distribution.

Years
That fake picture of the starter evolutions has been floating around since February!!!!

This person simple cut out these old pictures and glued them on their tv, and then glued official artwork on the covers of other 3DS cartridge containers.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yeah, except those are all Pokémon that the player has traditionally encountered through normal gameplay. There's nothing that says that they can't make Mareep, Riolu, Mawile, or even Mewtwo encounterable in the wild of the Kalos region. Hell, the reveal of the Mega evos probably means they will. However, Torchic, being a starter, is the only Pokémon that has never been encounterable in the wild in any game. Therefore, Gamefreak is solving that problem by having a special distribution.

You can get all the Starters in other games from professors after completing specific goals. They've also been handed out occasionally through events before this too. Torchic event really isn't that special. Status or no, there isn't any guarantee that ANY of the confirmed Mega Evolution Pokemon are even in the main game. Their stones may exist but we may have to get them through outside means.

As for "Traditional" Depending if you count it, Torchic is catchable through the Pokewalker. So as a starter is has the easiest distribution. Its just insanely popular.

They don't really need a reason to distribute anything really, but giving circumstances, if the new Fire type isn't going to be a disappointment like Snivy, why release it? Maybe they just don't want the fan backlash that Snivy got after its info was revealed cause a lot of people were pissed, and even though it seems like Fennekin is going to become Fire/Psychic, they still haven't confirmed it. They can have her become a special Fire/Fighting with Psychic attacks since only two were used so far. Its not that unheard of for Fighting Types to be able to use a few psychic attacks.

Still hope Fennekin is Fire/Fairy more than either of the other two options despite my dislike for the Fairy type.

Years
I honestly want to be surprised! I just will not be able to resist if they are in the next corocoro tho :(

Why do I lack restraint!!??

My hope is that we get silhouettes in the next CoroCoro. If, for example, Chespin has a body shape that is rotund like Swampert or Emboar, I will get the idea, and shift to Fennekin. Yet, I would still have some surprise for whichever starter I picked. Same goes for other pokemon that have yet to have their evolution revealed. The only pokemon I really want to be revealed are the version exclusives, and their evo's. I mean, I don't have an extra $40 bucks to buy two version, I am a college student!

Sirfetch’d

I honestly want to be surprised! I just will not be able to resist if they are in the next corocoro tho :(

Why do I lack restraint!!??

My hope is that we get silhouettes in the next CoroCoro. If, for example, Chespin has a body shape that is rotund like Swampert or Emboar, I will get the idea, and shift to Fennekin. Yet, I would still have some surprise for whichever starter I picked. Same goes for other pokemon that have yet to have their evolution revealed. The only pokemon I really want to be revealed are the version exclusives, and their evo's. I mean, I don't have an extra $40 bucks to buy two version, I am a college student!

Pretty much my feelings on this. At first, I was wondering what was taking so long for them to reveal them, but I am loving the suspense. I want to be surprised when I am traveling the region of Kalos and seeing what magnificent specimen that my starter will evolve into and have a reaction like "whoa!! that was totally unexpected". I do hope for the people that are curious that the silhouettes will be revealed in the next one, but I probably will avoid seeing them as I want to enjoy the element of surprise as I did not get to do while playing Black and White versions.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If irc Unova's weren't officially revealed until the month before release, so it's likely these will follow suit. And perhaps Gf will want us to be surprised by the evolutions...

Back