• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Second Generation Travel Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This thread is for discussion on your fond memories of RBY/GSC and your recent adventures. So for all of those that can't play your old games, this is the place to reminisce on your first Pokemon, getting stuck in your own house, and going for that Mew glitch. And for those of you still duking it out with Brock, Misty, and those nasty Rockets, feel free to talk about your recent adventures and accomplishments.

That reminds me. First time through Silver, I was so mad at myself for accidentally killing Red Gyarados. I've only recently been able to catch it for whatever reason. I was a nubcake. :(

Last edited:

Ayselipera

When I first played R/B/Y and G/S/C I was only just learning to read. So I remember pronouncing the names to towns and Pokemon horribly wrong. The worst part is I used talk to other kids at school about Pokemon and when I mentioned certain items and places in the game they wouldn't know what I was talking about. For example I would pronounce "potion" as "pot-tee-on."

Goodtimes<333

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I used to think that to turn off the game, you had to hit 'exit' on the start menu. XD And I thought that if you repetitively hit A, it makes the attack stronger. So Thundershock was powered by A taps. :D

Ayselipera

I used to think that to turn off the game, you had to hit 'exit' on the start menu. XD And I thought that if you repetitively hit A, it makes the attack stronger. So Thundershock was powered by A taps. :D

That reminds me of how I used to think A was the answer to everything on the game. If I wanted to encounter more Pokemon I'd click A as I walked through the grass or if I wanted to catch a Pokemon without fail I'd keep clicking A after I threw a Poke Ball.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, the A button does solve a lot of problems. I also didn't read anything. Didn't get past Brock during my first Yellow playthrough, cause I didn't bother to read that Electric moves don't affect ground types.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
I was like 7 when I played Crystal and I grinded my Machoke to death, and wondered why it wouldn't evolve :P

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
Just restarted my Silver version and decided to keep track of it here. Projected team: Magmar, Tauros, Dodrio, Espeon, Hitmonlee, Quagsire

Last edited:

Hiyappu_Storm

Aqua Monkey Storm!
Years
My favourite memory of Pokemon Red was my three legendary birds and how I traded them to Gold and beat the whole game with the three level 100 birds even though they kept hurting themselves.
When the game got corrupted and I got angry and screamed until my dad would buy me a new one.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
My favourite memory of the Pokemon franchise occurred when I was seven or eight, which was around the time I obtained my invaluable Silver version. I was in my friend's house with another friend and we sort of had a rivalry thing going on to see who could be the best Pokemon Master!

So Johnny had received INTEL that there was more to Mt. Silver than just the first room (none of us had figured out you could challenge Red) so after about fifteen minutes of searching, David found the door and went straight on through and talked to Red. Myself and Johnny were going crazy because David hadn't told us where the door was and if he beat Red first, he'd become the Pokemon Master out of the three of us. Eventually we found it (disclaimer: Johnny did, I was just watching his screen). By this point, David was losing to Red horrifically. We started our individual battles with Red and I remember all of us shouting abuse at our games when something went wrong or exclamations of glee when the battle turned in the direction we wanted it to.

Five minutes later, David and Johnny have lost and it's one versus one. My Lanturn versus his Blastoise. His Blastoise is faster because my Lanturn is less leveled up than he should have been. Blastoise misses his attack (don't remember what it was) and Lanturn gets a critical hit.

VICTORY TO REKKY THE GREATEST POKEMON MASTER IN THE WORLD.

At least that was what us seven year olds determined back in the day.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I thought I'd post an entry from the journal the Johto champion RAIAN has written. I had a feeling it was private, but I don't really care. He should've put it away.

Dear Journal,

I saw her again when I was looking for furniture for my room. I couldn't stop staring at her; she was stunning. There's no possible way I could describe her. I feel awful for defeating her and making her cry back when I first came through this town. I decided to apoligize to her, but I couldn't summon any courage to even walk towards her. So I pretty much just walked out of the building, my tail between my legs. Maybe I'll go ask her out if I happen to walk by her. I SWEAR, she's one of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen... Oh yeah, I also caught a Snorlax today. Felt I needed to share.

Must be pretty serious.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I. DESPISE. WEEDLES.

And pretty much every beginning trainer in FireRed/LeafGreen. They're always way stronger than your Pokemon no matter how long you grind, and you have to fight about four thousand Weedles before you get to Cerulean City. Oh, and your attacks ALWAYS miss and your opponent ALWAYS gets critical hits when you have low health.

</rant>

@MartinOddity- I felt like I'd give my in-game character a bit of a personality and add a roleplay type thing to it.

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
Years
I remember getting a new gameboy pocket, at 9 years old. my first year in a new house. thinking back, having a den and a living room and having my own room, was so great, but getting that gameboy and then seeing Pokemon red under the tree, my mind was solely on pokemon. i remember not having problems with any words, except Technique. i would say, tech witch. i played red all day long. I loved it so damn much. I remember being stuck in sliph cope forever till i got to Gary, who would beat the crap outta me. i remember discovering the old man glitch and misisngno. i still remember going in walmart one day and asked my mom for pokemon yellow. she would say its the same as red.. i still own red and yellow. i once had gold and silver, but i lent it out and never got it back.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
Years
I remember getting stuck in my house like everyone... And grindan forever in Viridian Forest because I couldn´t find the way through it... And finding it weird that Kakuna had arms. I also remember Pikachu being the first Pokémon I ever caught, and finding Nidoran creepy. I spent my first year playing Pokémon on the first few routes... And I never managed to reach the league.
My memories... Sigh.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
I remember getting stuck in my house like everyone... And grindan forever in Viridian Forest because I couldn´t find the way through it... And finding it weird that Kakuna had arms. I also remember Pikachu being the first Pokémon I ever caught, and finding Nidoran creepy. I spent my first year playing Pokémon on the first few routes... And I never managed to reach the league.
My memories... Sigh.

I never had those problems, but when I was a little kid, I couldn't figure out what to do after you get your first pokemon. I was always stopped by that guy who wanted his coffee and I had no idea what I was supposed to do to move on in the game. I never had the patience to simply look around for two seconds. Also, I never knew where to go after defeating Lt. Surge. I figured it all out eventually though. I must have played pokemon blue more times than any other game I've ever had in my entire lifetime.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
Well, after almost 10 years the internal battery on my Gold version has finally bled dry, taking with it the Pokemon I caught and trained up.

I kept meaning to transfer them all over to N64 for safe keeping but never got round to it. That'll teach me to procrastinate :(

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
Years
Well, after almost 10 years the internal battery on my Gold version has finally bled dry, taking with it the Pokemon I caught and trained up.

I kept meaning to transfer them all over to N64 for safe keeping but never got round to it. That'll teach me to procrastinate :(

That sucks. That nearly happened to me with my first Silver version, but I got it over to my N64 a few weeks before my silver shut down for good.

I never really had any problems while going through the pokemon games, I guess I was a smart little kid, so I can't really share any stories about getting stuck in places for days. I guess my best memory of my first pokemon game would be finally getting my first pokemon ever, a venusaur, up to level 100. Those were the days.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I remember when I used a Master Ball on a Graveler in Dark Cave; I also remember getting stuck in the cave too, so I sat my Game Boy Color down and when I came back my brother saved the game, so i was pretty much stuck in Dark Cave with no Flash and it took me hours just to get out. I was mad that I wasted a Master Ball on a simple Graveler -___-"

:t354:TG

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
Years
I think one of the greatest memories i had with my blue was finding out that the rival was actually the champion. All of my pokemon were either worn out or fainted from the last battle, and i thought i won the game until Lance tells you that you have one more opponent. I was kinda shocked that the rival was the last opponent (why cant later champions be a surprise like this one?). And of course, i got wiped out cause my pokemon were all in bad condition.(and i was out of recovery items)

And another memory that stuck with me was when i defeated all the one time only pokemon and didnt bother catching them at all. I thought they were just obstacles or bosses that were there to give me more experience. I felt really dumb about that. And another one would be when i freaken released my hitmonlee for no reason. Jeez i was such a noob back then. : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back