• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm playing hookie today!

Years
Have you ever skipped on on class or work? If so, how often? Why?

I skipped some classes in college because they didn't take attendance and I wanted to sleep. Never in high school. I show up for all my scheduled shifts at work, and come in 99.9% of the time if they call me in on a day off... buuuuuut I didn't get their call this morning until an hour later so I just never called back and I am pretty sure they are going to kill me tomorrow for never calling back. So I feel like I'm playing hookie on my scheduled day off right now. *whistles*

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Did it a lot last year, mostly because not even teachers cared about theory in some classes, so I just went to the practice hours. Skipping work though, I wouldn't dare do it without a very good excuse XD Specially since I do enjoy it.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
School, all the time. ALL the time. I was dropped from a couple of classes in college because of it, and all through high school I strategically missed as many days as I could.

I'll never miss a day of work unless I'm deathly ill, though. I love my job and they give me money.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
A lot. It was mainly because of the weather and my mom essentially refused to let me walk home when it was snowing hard.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I skipped school once because they were taking some essay that had no impact on the seniors, and I did it without my parents even knowing about it.

Other than that I try and not skip anything but that one day was really pointless and I know they're going to do it again later this year.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
In high school, I didn't attend a morning class and went to school around mid-day. I wasn't feeling well that morning. My mom also drove me to school late. That doesn't really count, hmm. Let's talk about some hard core ditching class...

In college, I have skipped class maybe ten times so far, all for very good reasons. :D I needed to study for an important exam, eat lunch, um. I skipped Stats class to play a new video game I bought that day. On some days, I don't think the lectures were that important to hear. If I'm not going to be mentally present, I might as well not physically attend. It depends on several factors, such as the course, professor and attendance policies, amount of people in the class (small classes notice I'm gone bahhh), and if my grade will suffer or not from skipping.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Oh lord. Okay, where to start.

I've played hookie, or cut class as it's more commonly referred to here, a multitude of times. And then there are those scenarios where it's sorta like cutting, but not really.

The times where I've never shown up to class are not often, but there's a decent amount. I started cutting freshman year in high school when I figured I could be eating lunch during my art class rather then dozing off. I was doing so well, had a 95 average in the class. The cutting cost me big time, my final exam grade was a 74 and my 95 went down to an 80. Yikes.

I had stopped cutting class till right after college applications were done. I could blame senioritis, but I just felt liberated. And so I didn't show up to class. =/

EDIT: Oh, I've never skipped school. As in left the house and went somewhere else. Once or twice, I did stay home though.

Question: If you I show up to class, and get marked present for the attendance sheet, then leave for the entire period, is that cutting/playing hookie? My friend keeps saying it is, but I keep arguing with her. Blah

Funny story, though. for the last 2 or 3 weeks, I would do that for Photo class, and get away with it. Then on the last day, my teacher caught me and I got busted. D;

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Oh boy.. wanna talk about skipping class?

In high school, I never spent one week without skipping a class once or twice. During my last year of high school, I skipped like 75% of my classes. And I still somehow graduated. Thank god.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Never skipped when I was in high school. I'd be expelled if I did!

In college, like TwiBlade, I skipped for very important reasons. There were days that I needed to work on important papers because I sometimes never have the time to work on them at home, and then there are other times that I'm like "Well, it's a boring lecture day anyways, I can just get notes from my buddy or get on blackboard." So I just chill with friends or leave home early, depending on the class. xD

Years
On a few rare occassions, I skipped class in school, but only if I knew that it was just a study block or something. As for work, though, I've never skipped out on any of my shifts, as my manager has fired people for missing just one day of work without phoning in or prior notice of some kind. There are many days I wish I didn't have to go into work (like tomorrow), but I'd rather get paid than be looking for a job.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I never skip work. I need the money and that doesn't send a good image.

I skip classes a lot though if the instructor doesn't seem to notice. One time I was originally only gonna take a 10 minute walk, but I saw my buddy, talked to him for an hour and decided not to return o3o

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I skipped a few classes this grade, mainly because classes were soooo boring. I rarely do it, tho, and the first time, I wouldn't call it 'skipping.'

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm one of those types that would fit under "Ugh, you're such a goody two-shoes" when it comes to being in attendance at school or for work. I had perfect attendance all four years of high school. I never let a cold or anything else stop me from going to school school, much less willingly skipping the day for the heck of it. I wouldn't say it'd make me feel guilty if I decided to do it, but the thought of missing out on something important that day pushes me enough to make sure I'm present everyday I need to be.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've never missed a day of school for sketchy reasons. The only time I will leave school is if I'm in a situation where I must leave early or arrive late (doctor's appointment, work experience clash etc) or if I'm sick. I wouldn't feel so much guilty I missed a class, I just suppose I wouldn't be used to the feeling of missing out on what I consider extremely important.

Years
For work, no. That's one area where I wouldn't skip out "just because". I never dreamed of even attempting it in high school, at least not on purpose, since my parents would have found out somehow and nope wasn't going to have that...

For college, though? Yeah I was a slacker sometimes and decided I didn't want to go to class. Although I wouldn't just skip any classes. If it wasn't an important one - like maybe it was just one of the many days I got to work on an art project - and I could still safely miss it, then if I somehow didn't feel like going, yeah I didn't go.

(That was still only a few times per year though, since any more and I'd have taken a grade hit. No thanks.)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
To me, there's a huuuuge difference between not going to school and cutting class. I've cut class a couple of times before in senior year. About a month before I turned 18, I did it a lot. I think I went through a small rebellious phase. It was pretty light compared to others who go through a rebellious phase. I got in trouble for it once and stopped, though, since I was concerned on it going on my permanent record. If I had any idea that a permanent record didn't mean anything to colleges or that they hand them to the student on graduation day, I would have done it more. I've signed into school before and just left as well (which I don't consider to be cutting class, since I didn't even go to my first period class). And there were plenty of times where I just didn't go to school. All of which were simply because I didn't feel like being there.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Nope. :x
See, I have no life...so there isn't much use in skipping. Even if I were capable of it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I never skipped in high school but I did skip in college whenever I felt it was OK. I did it a lot too, haha. Over four years they really add up, but it worked out in the end. I graduated with a good GPA and got a degree and all. I only miss work when I am legitimately sick, so no hooky from here.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I did in my senior year of high school sometimes, because it was my last year and everything. I didn't really have any real important classes that year either. When I skipped though, I made sure not to exceed the maximum number of absences allowed which was 5. So I would say I played hookie about 4 out of those 5 days. In college, I only skip if I feel sick and if I can afford to miss a day. I dont like skipping in college though because I feel like the one day I do, something real important will happen and I will miss it.

Back