• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things in Pokémon that make you go "What the hell?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
The thing that made me go "What the hell" was the fact that people in Pokemon will wait the rest of their lives just sitting in the middle of a route just so they can battle ONE person.

LOL, love this. So true when you step back and think about it.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
it makes me say "what the hell" when I read the pokedex and it says stuff like "the tiny turtle pokemon" or "the Mud fish pokemon" I mean what the hell are those things, what's a turtle? what's a mud fish? I don't think any of those things exist in the pokemon world.

Another thing that makes me question things are the machine-like pokemon, I mean did they get the idea of Magnets, and Gears from Magnemite and Klink?

tealwing

Genie
Years
"Doduo used Fly!" Enough said.

But really, some Pokemon have the strangest ability to learn certain HMs even if they don't look like they can use it.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
The communication always bugged me. I mean how the heck does a wild Pikachu know wtf a Thundershock is? They obviously can't speak engly. I think the trainers should be barking orders like "Pika pi Pikachu!" That way pokemon can understand them.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Why is Chatot harder to catch than Reshiram and Zekrom? It makes a lot of sense doesn't it, having a cute little parrot Pokemon be harder to catch than a freaking dragon that created Unova. Plus, it's catch rate is also the same as Dialga and Palkia, so you have the same chance of catching that note-headed parrot as a giant horse that controls time and a giant prawn that controls dimensions.

Years
Fire-types (especially the Charmander evo line, Cyndaquil evo line, and Chimchar evo line - all with external fire in some way) can't learn Flash but Grass (i.e. Bulbasaur evo line, Treecko evo line...) and Dark types (Spiritomb can learn Flash, no joke) can do so in the games. It recently came to my attention because Destinedjagold addressed it in his Skyline hack.

Don't even get me started on how wrong the anime can be (anime physics lol). There is an entire "WHY?!" moments list for that.

H0tB3ans

What is Sylveon?~
Years
1. Why does Ash never age?
2. How come your character is always a young boy/girl/teenager, wynaut (see what I did there?) an elderly man, called Samuelis.
3. What happened to the father of your character?

Years
The Elite 4 don't have competitive battle strategies? WTH? And if the "strongest trainers" in the region have Lv 40 - 60 Pokemon, you know that they've been neglecting their training.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Oh god, so many things.....

For starters, Doduo and Dodrio being able to magically fly. Oh, that has been mentioned. Well...whenever you beat the regional Champions, they always just stick around without your permission. Kind of defeats the point to me. I just figure that they are voted in, and have terms that they carry out.

Last edited:

xNeonVulpyx

PokeMaster Vulpy <3
Years
In the dub, where they call riceballs "donuts". I was only young when I saw it, and I was like "They don't look like donuts" XD They're obviously holding riceballs, but I didn't even know what riceballs were back then.

The Lavender Town segment in FireRed freaked me out a bit. A tower full of Pokemon graves and possessed trainers? Creeeeeeepy!

Pinta77

Whenever Jesse and James come up with some new ridiculous contraption, usually I say "what the hell".

Years
There are some NPCs on stranded islands who don't have Pokemon that know Fly, Surf, or Teleport.

Also when you beat other trainers, they don't blackout/whiteout and run to the nearest Pokecenter, but you do.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Something that made me go WTH was the fact that your bird-pokemon can't fly until you get the HM. Especially when their in-game sprite is flying (like Wingull). Weird.

I think it's fairly reasonable, considering the battle move is to attack by flying, and the HM use involves training the Pokémon to fly with the trainer on its back. Considering it has to carry your character everywhere it goes kind of makes it reasonable.

What I don't get, though, is how Pokémon like Spearow can learn Fly, but others like Scyther can't. I'm pretty sure Spearow is small enough that it'd be flattened if you tried to ride it anywhere...

What happened to the father of your character?

Hello Hoenn! But, yeah, apart from Norman being in R/S/E, it's pretty much a mystery. I kind of liked the more rounded feel of the Hoenn games because of it.

Years
I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but Tauros can learn Surf. A bull can learn Surf. And, since there seem to be no actual animals in Pokemon, how do they know what they are? And what do the people eat? The things that they battle alongside?

Seriously. WHAT. THE. HELL.

~Nyx

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but Tauros can learn Surf. A bull can learn Surf. And, since there seem to be no actual animals in Pokemon, how do they know what they are? And what do the people eat? The things that they battle alongside?

Seriously. WHAT. THE. HELL.

~Nyx

I've seriously wondered about that too. In the early anime, they did talk about there being real animals, but as the anime and games continued, mentions of real animals in the Pokemon world have almost stopped completely. But the thing is, like you said, how could they have species names that correspond to real animals if those animals don't actually exist? Leads me to believe that perhaps in the ancient past or something, animals as we know them may have existed there, and that somehow Pokemon became the dominant form of non-human life. It really is so strange.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
This.

also this explains the whole surfing giant monster thing:
Spoiler:

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Brock's beef stew. .... Where does he get the beef?
In my mind, I've decided they have a non-meat substance they call beef.

Also, the move Attract always saddened me a bit. The implication being that, because it won't work on either sex, Pokemon can only be heterosexual and are unable to feel attracted to the same sex.
In my mind, I've decided it's only for the sake of that move, and Pokemon can still be attracted to the same sex.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
"BATTLE!"

"I'm sorry, but I've already battled like twenty trainers and a million Zubats. I'm out of healing items and my pokemon are paralysed, poisoned and burned. Is it possible that you could wait until I visit a Pokemon Center and then we can- no? Right now? OK then."

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but Tauros can learn Surf. A bull can learn Surf.

Rhydon as well :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Baby Pokemon have annoyed me since the day they were introduced. They add absolutely nothing to the game and only remove the possibility of another evolution or make those that DESPERATELY need an evolution wait even longer. Referring specifically to things like Sudowoodo that got stuck with a pre-evolution in D/P/PT and probably got put on the back burner because of it. Obviously there are the other lines that got babies that didn't need them, but I have a soft spot for Sudowoodo.

EDIT: I think the only exception i can make to my hatred of pre-evolutions is Tyrogue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back