• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why don't people really like Swellow.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
Why? Swellow is one of the coolest pokemon introduced in Hoenn. Swellow is the kind of bird who doesn't mess around, and this is proved by its official art. Swellow is also (iirc) the fastest Pokemon of Gen 3 besides the Deoxys forms, clocking in at an insane base 125 speed, while also having a decent 85 attack stat and utility in Fly, Quick Attack and some powerful moves like Return.

So why?

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Not really sure what you're talking about... As far as I know, Swellow has always been well-loved. I've seen it be people's #1 bird since 2004. And it was rather popular in Gen 6 NU as well with a really cool ability.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Everyone has their preferences. I like Swellow, but from the beginning I liked Taillow a bit more as it's rather cute and quite strong for an early route Pokemon, so I used both of them and they were useful in contests too.

Years
I think it's because people think Swellow's design is uninteresting. It does barely change compared to Taillow, in fact it's only a bigger and more badass Taillow on paper.

Years
I think Swellow is pretty cool and it's always on my Hoenn teams, but I can see how it would get overshadowed by Talonflame, Pidgeot and Staraptor which are reasonably comparable to it as early game birds.

It would surprise me if there were any specific dislike of Swellow, it's 100% inoffensive.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Not really sure what you're talking about... As far as I know, Swellow has always been well-loved. I've seen it be people's #1 bird since 2004. And it was rather popular in Gen 6 NU as well with a really cool ability.

This. Please do inform us where you heard about people disliking it.

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
I don't dislike Swellow at all, although I've never personally used one. Although I can see it getting overshadowed by other early bird Pokemon, plus the fact it only evolves once instead of twice like other early birds is a reason I could see people being turned away from it.

Years
In my opinion, Swellow is one of the best flying-type pokemon in R\S\E but I prefer other flying-type pokemons such as Gyrados since some of them have 2 types which can take advantage on opponent

Years
I mean, I like Swellow just fine. It's not really one of my favorite Pok?mon, but I've used it a few times. I actually caught and used a shiny Taillow once; he was pretty awesome.

The Taillow line actually kinda reminds me of the Spearow line in that they're both grouchy, short-tempered little early-game birds with just two total stages of evolution.

Back