• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you think of Gen 3's music?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
From what I've heard this generation doesn't really seem to have much iconic music. A lot of people point to Gen 2 as having great retro/8-bit music, and to later gens (5/6/7) as having great modern music. What do you think of the music in this generation? Are there any tracks in particular that you like a lot?

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I like the gen 6 remixes. The original gen 3 soundtrack I consider to be some of the worst music in a Pokémon game. Not to say it's bad.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
For me there are too many to name that I like a lot of Hoenn.

Composition-wise it is my favourite generation.
And it got even more amazing with OR/AS.

Years
Generation 3 has some of the best music, in my opinion. I love the Dive theme from RSE because it is very relaxing and peaceful. There are just so many good tracks! ^^

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I think every pokemon game has perfect music for it, It's hard to say it'd be better with X music instead because we all heard the music for the game. There are a few pokemon games that have music which works on any gen.

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
It's an incredibly uplifting soundtrack. It has a really adventurous feeling to it. I feel like it can always lighten my mood when I'm down.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
It's an incredibly uplifting soundtrack. It has a really adventurous feeling to it. I feel like it can always lighten my mood when I'm down.

Hoenn region is very heavy on the Land and Sea theme, the soundtrack for that has to be a more uplifting and naturist feel, If you notice the later games like BW have more of a city feel to them, It's really well done by their sound teams to give each region its own specific feel to bring together the whole thing.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Hoenn region is very heavy on the Land and Sea theme, the soundtrack for that has to be a more uplifting and naturist feel, If you notice the later games like BW have more of a city feel to them, It's really well done by their sound teams to give each region its own specific feel to bring together the whole thing.

You're right. The Pokemon sound team is incredibly talented at making each game's soundtrack have a special feel. RBY had a very classic soundtrack that set the stage for the Pokemon series, GSC, in my opinion, had a sound track that emphasized the "leaving home and going far away" feeling, RSE as you said has a heavy land/sea/nature theme, DPPT has a diverse soundtrack to emphasize the diverse region of Sinnoh, and BW has a more city feel, as it is loosely based on New York. It's great!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I honestly think that the music in the third generation is the best in the main series; only the latter half of Sun and Moon comes close, with much of Poni Island comprising some of the best in the franchise as well.

There's something adventurous, ambitious, and exciting about it - it really feels like your in this amazing far-away region, exploring the vast oceans around it and experiencing its highly varied landscape. It all just fits, really well. It's not quite super-retro like the generations before it, but it's not as modernized as everything from Gen 4 onward - it has its own vintage niche, and its own personality that's hard to blend with anything else. It's distinctive and highly thematic.

It's one of the pieces of the Hoenn equation that makes it probably my favorite region and that makes the third generation one of my favorites.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
It's cool, i actually liked the R/S/E musics in Rijon Adventures

Littleroot town is my favourite

But Pokemon tower creeps me out

Years
It's not my favourite soundtrack ever (nothing can compare to the Mystery Dungeon series soundtrack) but it is quite good and I find it rather mellow and relaxing. I feel like the soundtrack is perfect for the region itself.

My absolute favourite is the Oldale town theme for sure, I just feel like it sounds so calming and serene, while still maintaining a jovial vibe.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I loved the entire sound track, the elite four theme for R/S/E is one of the only video game sound tracks I would listen to outside of playing. The champion theme for Steven and Wallace were great as well.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It's alright. Not a fan of gen 3 music. It's certainly memorable considering I haven't played a gen 3 game in a while and it pops up in my head from time to time.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I'm a big fan of Gen 3 music, particularly the Team Magma/Aqua themes. Might be unpopular opinion, but I honestly think Gen 3 music is much better than Gen 2 music.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2018
Gen 3 music was middle of the pack for me if you're comparing it to other gens, I think 4th gen has the best music. However, middle of the pack in terms of pokemon still means pretty damn good, Verdanturf's theme in particular is one of my favorites of all. Fortree is memorable for me as well, along with Littleroot and the dive theme.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
From what I've heard this generation doesn't really seem to have much iconic music. A lot of people point to Gen 2 as having great retro/8-bit music, and to later gens (5/6/7) as having great modern music. What do you think of the music in this generation? Are there any tracks in particular that you like a lot?
No iconic music? Waaa. I really disagree :D Like many others have said here, I think the music from Hoenn (I'm disregarding Kanto a bit here as that's remixed gen 1 music) is very iconic and memorable.

Generation 3 has some of the best music, in my opinion. I love the Dive theme from RSE because it is very relaxing and peaceful. There are just so many good tracks! ^^

I honestly think that the music in the third generation is the best in the main series; only the latter half of Sun and Moon comes close, with much of Poni Island comprising some of the best in the franchise as well.

There's something adventurous, ambitious, and exciting about it - it really feels like your in this amazing far-away region, exploring the vast oceans around it and experiencing its highly varied landscape. It all just fits, really well. It's not quite super-retro like the generations before it, but it's not as modernized as everything from Gen 4 onward - it has its own vintage niche, and its own personality that's hard to blend with anything else. It's distinctive and highly thematic.

It's one of the pieces of the Hoenn equation that makes it probably my favorite region and that makes the third generation one of my favorites.
Yes I agree very much! Stuff like the Dive theme, Route 104, Route 113, outside of Mount Pyre, Champion battle theme, and the very beautiful ending theme - and the title theme is the best of all games imo. Those trumpets, they're a meme for a reason. Very iconic imo.

PancakeGuy55

Generation 3 has my favorite music of the entire series. Verdanturf Town and Cave of Origin/Meteor Falls are my favorites theme from gen 3.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2024
I loved Generation Three's music, honestly. There were so many beautiful themes.
- Dive theme.
- Abandoned Ship theme.
- Oceanic Museum.
- Mount Pyre.
- Little Root.
- Verdanturf Town.
- Meteor Falls.
- Cave of Origin.
- Lilycove.
- Odale.
- Sootospolis.

And many route themes that I can't remember off the top of my head, honestly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
The music from FRLG doesn't really stand out to me, but I loved the music in RSE. I find them to be incredibly memorable for me. Everything from the champion tune to the simple bike and dive themes. I really wish ORAS had an item like the GB player from HGSS to play the old music!

Back