• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I would prefer weak to normal than any other type except poison. Both poison and normal need something to be effective against.

tnfsf11

I wonder if maybe Bellossom will become Grass/Fairy I can see it.
That would be really great, I never chose Bellossom over Vileplume since Bellossom is pure Grass & Vileplume is Grass/Poison, so being part Fairy will make it very interesting!
Still they should make non-cute Fairies this gen, because all fairies so far are cute & cuddly & such so I wish they could make a Pokemonized Troll that is part Fairy part Poison, the already took a huge step by making a new type then why not take a step like this?

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
That would be really great, I never chose Bellossom over Vileplume since Bellossom is pure Grass & Vileplume is Grass/Poison, so being part Fairy will make it very interesting!
Still they should make non-cute Fairies this gen, because all fairies so far are cute & cuddly & such so I wish they could make a Pokemonized Troll that is part Fairy part Poison, the already took a huge step by making a new type then why not take a step like this?

Yeah Bellossom and Vileplume are my favorite pokemon. While I think Bellossom is reasonable now as is I think if I were to make any grass type part fairy it would be Bellossom, and plus seeing little tiny Bellossom beating down dragonite would be gold.

Years
Would they make Bellossom Fairy typed as well? We already have the branched evolution Fairy type in Gardevoir now. It seems a little redundant to take a remaining single-typed Pokemon that's part of a branching family and slap a Fairy typing on them as well.

I kind of feel like there won't be any new Fairy types from generations I-III since we got one from each already. Just a feeling though. It all depends on how rare they want the Fairy type to be.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
Would they make Bellossom Fairy typed as well? We already have the branched evolution Fairy type in Gardevoir now. It seems a little redundant to take a remaining single-typed Pokemon that's part of a branching family and slap a Fairy typing on them as well.

I kind of feel like there won't be any new Fairy types from generations I-III since we got one from each already. Just a feeling though. It all depends on how rare they want the Fairy type to be.

Like they Kinda did in the first place? I mean they took an existing family (oddish) of poison/grass and gave it a 4th evolution that took away one of it's typing..... (and made it smaller then it's first evolution) so I doubt that is a reason for them not to mess with them. I also Find it hard to believe thats all they will retcon to fairy. If that is all they retcon then they should remove all the non fairies from the fairy egg group.

tnfsf11

Anything is possible, they already made big steps slapping Fairy to Marill (why the heck I dunno) so why not Bellossom?
Also I have a TINY feeling GF is spying over this forum & taking ideas & opinions from it, & maybe from DA too, so who knows ;)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Anything is possible, they already made big steps slapping Fairy to Marill (why the heck I dunno) so why not Bellossom?
Also I have a TINY feeling GF is spying over this forum & taking ideas & opinions from it, & maybe from DA too, so who knows
11.%20wink.gif
Considering that the development team is primarily Japanese, and the legal ramifications of using fan ideas, and the fact that they (and for that matter nigh near every other game company) have not done this practise... I think that feeling is more a hope than anything. Game Freak aren't looking at forums and implementing the ideas people throw up.
Possibly not grim enough if you look at certain fairies.

Not all fairies are like disney fairies you know, there are evil and sadistic ones too.
Indeed, there's a lot of mythology that could be incorporated into the typing if you look. Plus there's some rather interesting grim aspects with some Pokemon already if you dig around.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Its my first time doing calculations and I did this in the battle chat concerning Fairy and SE against Dark. I used what I assumed to be a look alike attack for Fairy Wind to try and cal damage x4 SE should have done if Fairy were SE to Dark and Dragon.

Spoiler:

Don't have any experience doing calculations myself, but Psypoke's calculator seems fairly good choice to use. Its a bit outdated (Gen 4) but I don't think the damage formula changed between 4 and 5 from my battle experiences so it seems accurate.

I forced the attacks to 125 (Gardevoir) and defense to 90 (Hydreigon) to get a rough estimate and based some info on personal discoveries with my Hydreigon who cannot take a Focus Blast which is possibly stronger than Fairy Wind. Only changed Pokemon to match types to meet standards of STAB and SE damage.

First was Ghost vs Psychic x2 SE w/STAB
Second was Bug vs Grass/Psychic x4 SE w/STAB

Using Hydreigon's HP 294 to 388
First came out 182 to 216 Which is between roughly 60% to 80%
Second came out 346 - 432 Roughly 100% unless full HP Supported.

Looks like Fairy isn't SE against Dark. (Battle experiences peoples may check my work. This is foreign territory for me.)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm not fussed about the extra type, just makes it more diverse but one thing I would like to see is gyarados become a water/fairy type just cause it would be awesome.
This is one of the Pokemon I would least expect to get the retyping. The reason it isn't Dragon to begin with (which is a more likely retyping given its appearance, used by Lance, etc) is that it and Magikarp are based on a legend of a jumping carp, hence the flying typing when Magikarp evolves (but the lack of moves such as Fly).

tnfsf11

I never really got why Gyarados was part Flying until now! :D
It shouldn't be part Fairy though, what I would REALLY love for it to be part Fairy is Fennekin, everybody wants him part Psychic but what about Fairy? If he isn't then maybe in a future gen we'll get a Fairy starter (and a Dragon one for that matter), I can only hope...

Considering that the development team is primarily Japanese, and the legal ramifications of using fan ideas, and the fact that they (and for that matter nigh near every other game company) have not done this practise... I think that feeling is more a hope than anything. Game Freak aren't looking at forums and implementing the ideas people throw up.
Actually what I said was more of a joke than anything else, that's what I intended, really. :P

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Light Type Pokemon are real. There already is a whole type of pokemon who emit waves and fields of electro-magnetic radiation, some of which is visible to the human eye - "visible light"

What type is that? Electric Type. Fire Types also make a lot of Light and heat when they breath fire.

And people have already pointed out the Dark/Fight type relationship. Dark and Fight are opposing forces. Fight type trains for years to do "proper and respectable" attacks. Dark Type only uses "evil", underhanded, attacks of opportunity. Dark Types are criminal types who can't take an honest punch.

Considering that Bisharp looks like a power ranger, why is he Dark/Evil Type?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I have a feeling Dragons are gonna be liabilities now. I don't think they should have made Dragons weak to Fairy, but instead have Fairy-types resistant to Dragon-type moves. Dragons defenses are already easily exploited, their strength lies in their near unresisted STAB. Unless Fairy is resisted by multiple types, we can say goodbye to the usefulness of dragon dual-typing.

The amount of actually threatening dragons outside of ubers is like, what, 3? And because of Swift Swim, Multiscale and the near unresisted a-bomb that is dragon gem draco meteor.

I guess you could say I'm pretty worried about gen 6s type balancing.

Although I am really excited to see how it works out for Azumarill, one of my favorite Pokemon. Let's just hope there is a good physical Fairy move. ^•^

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The Fairy type hopefully will have some good members, with good enough stats to face up against dragon or they may end up like the Ice type. Btw if Ghost had overpowered Pokémon with the typing it could've end up like Dragon, being weak against only itself and Dark moves...and Electric's even worse with only one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I got a friend of mine to help me out with calcs (thanks wolflare!).

0 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 170-204 (52.3 - 62.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is assuming focus blast's power is changed to 60, and that's not counting a double weakness. A double weakness would be an automatic OHKO, hydreigon isn't that bulky enough to take a STABed Fairy Wind to the face if it was 4x weak to it.

0 SpA Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 340-408 (104.61 - 125.53%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Assuming hydreigon is 4x weak to fairy, this is what would happen.

So it's highly doubtful that, either way, it would be 4x effective because hydreigon would die at that garde's attack, quite simply. u_u

That's what I've been saying. We have pretty much the same outcome using different scenarios. Based on both Fairy isn't Super Effective against Dark.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
That's what I've been saying. We have pretty much the same outcome using different scenarios. Based on both Fairy isn't Super Effective against Dark.

Thank God, a lot of cool Pokémon like Tyranitar, Weavile and Krookodile already have enough weaknesses, adding another one wouldn't help them at all.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Wow a new Pokémon type. We shall see how this plays out.

How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?
Ehh, personally I believe it's not going to work, like really a fairy type :/ this new type was not needed it was not necessary. Ok, is there anything to justify this new type emerging? Why did it emerge?

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)
The name fairy could of been improved on, make it quick I would have preferred the name Divine instead of fairy.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
How do you feel about such a late type addition? Was it needed? Do you personally feel it was necessary, or was the game fine as it was?
The games always open to improvements. Personally I would rather they just introduced less dragons, rather than giving them an extra weakness (quite a lot of pokémon get Ice moves, lots of dragons are weak to Rock and it's an incredibly common attacking move type).

Do you like the name "Fairy" or is it too similar to the egg group "Fairy"? Should the type have been named something else i.e. Light? (Light vs. Dark)
Perhaps the entire egg group will get the new type? Hopefully not, many are already dual-typed, and Manaphy doesn't need it to be able to pwn dragons. I kinda hope Phione does though, just to make it even more unique.
Loving how they've made the new Eeveelution Fairy, and continued the trend of new evolutions every even numbered generation.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
People think that the pokemon in the fairy egg group will all get the fairy type....

I think it's more likely that the fairy egg group will be renamed so as not to be confused with the new type. I could see Clefairy and Snubbul having their classifications altered too. After all I don't think there's such a thing as "The Dragon Pokemon" or "The Water Pokemon". Clefairy might become "The Moon Pokemon" and Snubbul "The bulldog pokemon". They would probably still be retconned to fairy type though.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Normal should have an advantage against any type because their moves are meant to be neutral, the jack-of-all-trades. Dark should have an advantage against fairies because of dark's more sly and brutal characteristics. Dragons, sure, big and vicious, but Dark is different from their kind of brutality as they implement trickery, foul play and unfairness to achieve strength.

Back