• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pok?mon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

How should characters be associated with Pokémon types?

• With their signature Pokémon (if any)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Based on their personalities

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 26, 2016
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

vampiricrogue

skydemonairpirates
Years
okay so i played though the charon path, and i ran into one glitch. It is recorded, or was, but youtubes still processing the video, so i will post it with a timestamp when it fixes itself.

What happened was during orientation, when the speech was going on, it auto skipped explanations of 4th, 5th, and 6th class and stopped roughly at the part in saying that you will need an ID to go to your afterschool areas once its shut down. So it roughly skipped 8-10 lines of text. I had to go back and read it thought he logbook.

edit line---3/3/2016
video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1FlTc2Fl8
The time stamp in question is 1:02:31 - 1:03:06

Last edited:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
edit line---3/3/2016
video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1FlTc2Fl8
The time stamp in question is 1:02:31 - 1:03:06
It's highly likely it's because you hit CTRL (which automatically skips text you have read in any previous playthrough). Unless the lines in the code itself have a {nw} or "no wait" command assigned to them (and these lines don't), text skips don't happen.

If you play through that segment again without switching your windows/hitting CTRL and click through it normally, I'm positive it will not happen.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 29, 2016
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The problem I have right here is the game giving me so many choices,
that in my mind I really am Red while playing, and it annoys me when he acts
way different then I would act myself, thus expect him to act like aswell.

Spoiler:

I never read the manga so I don't actually know too much about Leaf to beginn with,
but yeah, that is really kinda strange :)

VisualJae

Years
The problem I have right here is the game giving me so many choices,
that in my mind I really am Red while playing, and it annoys me when he acts
way different then I would act myself, thus expect him to act like aswell.
Unfortunately for most story-driven visual novels, it's not possible to have a protagonist that attempts to cover all personalities to suit the player. We'll need the player character (Red) to have his own way of dealing with things, and while some choices can help the player (you) adapt to certain situations, we can't cover all the bases or else we won't be able to develop the characters or story in a particular direction.

So we either offer limited choices that at least give the player a way to nudge certain events in one direction, but leave certain events out of their control (as in this case with "odd" interactions between the player character and Leaf)...

Or we give players no choices at all and everything is out of their control. At that point, it'd be a kinetic novel, where the story goes in one direction without your say. That's just like reading any old book and we don't want to do that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 29, 2016
Or we give players no choices at all and everything is out of their control. At that point, it'd be a kinetic novel, where the story goes in one direction without your say. That's just like reading any old book and we don't want to do that.

I agree, and blaming the game for giving me choices is the last thing I want to do :)
Giving the player more things to choose from greatly increases the amount of
work that has to be put into every scene, and I'm glad that this game offers so many already.

VisualJae

Years
We have a new Facebook fan page set up!

Here's some shameless promotion:

Our social media channels lets you communicate with the development team when we're unable to post news here on the forum. We decided to create a new Facebook page as a means for fans to talk to each other (if they wish), as it's easier to hold longer conversations there as opposed to Twitter.

And as a side note, we're still looking into adding new writers to our ranks. This will be ongoing for a while, so if you're interested and you haven't been able to submit anything yet, don't worry.

VisualJae

Years
Update to v1.0.2b to address a few things:

IMPORTANT for those with v1.0.2a:
Some variables were changed for the open-world map segment of the demo. In order to prevent errors from occurring, load the game from any point before Leaf first gives you a tutorial on using the map. That is a point in the game where a lot of behind the scenes data gets moved around to set up the map. If you try to load the game from the map itself, you might run into errors.

Once you get to the map again after loading from an earlier save point, all the internal data should be set and you can overwrite your save. New game files will also be unaffected.

FIXES/CHANGES:
  • Addressed an oversight for the Normal-type class that caused an entire block of dialogue to skip if you select Cheren as a roommate.
  • Fixed some grammar mistakes and typos.
  • Removed the choice to continue or return to the map during free exploration. We made this change for two reasons: the first is that we realized very, very few people opted to return to the map after making their decision. The second is in preparation for other character dialogue in the future. Making it a one-shot decision makes our future coding lives easier.

Get the demo.

Years
I'm seriously excited for this visual novel, I created an account just to make this comment! To be honest, its my first visual novel (despite wanting to play one for a LONG time) and has revitalised my love for Pokémon!

A couple of questions though; how can I keep up to date with the progress on this game and who have you decided as the love interests, so far?

Thanks!

VisualJae

Years
Thanks for the compliments!
A couple of questions though; how can I keep up to date with the progress on this game and who have you decided as the love interests, so far?

We won't be posting anything that will spoil plot (at least not heavily). But for general progress and random updates, you should follow our social media accounts. We usually only post big updates here and that'll be slower now that the vast majority of the work will be put into writing.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Twitch

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2021
Oh man... even though this demo is short I am definitely stoked for the full thing... I can definitely write too, so I dropped in a writing audition. If helping out means this will be done faster then I am all down with it. Hopefully my writing meets you and your teams standards though.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2016
Just played the demo, had a blast. The art, particularly the background art, is beautiful, and the dialogue seems well thought-out. Marshal's Fighting type elective was honestly pretty cringe-y, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of it. Keep up the great work!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Hahaha I actually didn't mind the Fighting elective dialogue, I thought it was kinds funny and very fitting {XD}

The Fairy class on the other hand was...interesting, felt very strange lol

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2021
also, am I wrong in the fact that you are looking for 3-5 writers to work on at least 2 of the 5 possible roommates story? or am i right on the money

Years
Personally, im sticking with Fire and Dragon for my election types! Fire cause it does kind of fit me, and Dragon cause i love the dragon types! Especially the Eon Duo!

VisualJae

Years
also, am I wrong in the fact that you are looking for 3-5 writers to work on at least 2 of the 5 possible roommates story? or am i right on the money
We are looking for experienced writers to assist in progressing the story's plot. We have a good portion of the game's plot outlined already so we need more writers to help fill out the individual scenes and dialogue.

Our standards are high. So far we've rejected 95% of the applicants out of close to 50 applications and we only accepted one. Those in the remaining 5% are still being tested as I'm typing this.

This isn't to dissuade anyone from taking up the challenge. We suggest anyone who think they're capable of blowing us away with their writing to try. We mentioned this on the game download page, but none of us working on the game are writers by trade. We're only doing the writing ourselves because we don't have writers. Basically, we want people who are better than us, people who actually write during their free time.

girlslikegirls

gamer, book lover, geek-nerd extraordinar
Years
  • Age 32
  • US
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Wow. This is incredibly impressive! Downloaded immediately when I saw the link! Visual novels are my favorite. <3 (Curious, how different was it coding for mac vs windows? How'd you get it to work for both?).

VisualJae

Years
Curious, how different was it coding for mac vs windows? How'd you get it to work for both?).
The development platform I use has a built-in feature that allows packaging for Windows, iOS and Linux. There's no need to change anything in between.

Back