• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your most embarrassing Pokemon nicknames

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
Years
I started playing Pokemon when I was seven, and Diamond and Pearl were the big craze. Playing my Diamond version was the best feeling ever. I was able to have the pets I'd always wanted as a child. I never had to clean up after them, or remember to feed them, but I could name them and bond and grow and play and battle with them. To me, naming them was the best part, because I could let my imagination run free. No mother saying, "Oh, name him Buttons!" or something stupid like that.

But, please remember, I was seven when I first started. So, I had a seven-year-old's mind. So I named most of my Pokemon really, really stupid nicknames. This is why I started this thread! So you, me, and everyone else can show off their most embarrassing Pokemon nicknames!

What are the stupidest/embarrassing/awful/dumb Pokemon nicknames you've ever given?
Start off by giving the Pokemon itself. So, if you have a Purrloin, first put Purrloin, space, and then a little description of how/why you gave that nickname. Don't forget to put the nickname in there, though!! Look at my examples below.

I'll start. Here are some of my worst nicknames ever:

Mr. Mime

Oh, dear Lord above. When you see Mr. Mime's name on the worst-Pokemon-nicknames-ever list, you know you're in for it. Why did I catch that darned Mr. Mime? For everyone's sake, I've no clue. But my friend, HATES Mr. Mime. He said my Mr. Mime was an idiot. I was heart-broken. BUT!!! I saw the light!!! And I finally realized my Mr. Mime was a horrible Pokemon. Not only did it give me nightmares that very night, and for many more to come, but it's stats weren't all that great either. I stuffed that damn thing in a PC Box and never hoped to look at it again. But I chanced upon my Diamond game and had to boot it up for old time's sake.
OHMAHGODITSTHATMRMIMEICAUGHT!!
Oh good riddance, I threw that thing back out in the wild where it belonged. But not before I took note of it's awful nickname. I dunno, are you sure you're ready for it?
I'm warning you now, turn back!!
Still here? Alright, here goes: PI-PIDIOT.
Didn't I warn you? Have fun in your nightmares!! *shudders* If you'll excuse me, I'm off to see the psychiatrist.

Carnivine

I was a young Pokemon Trainer. Got my Prinplup, and my Floatzel, and my Onix, and my other pals along for the ride. I came upon Pastoria City, in hopes for my next Gym Badge. Upon walking into the PokeMart, I noticed the wooden carving of Croagunk. After talking to a few people in town, I discovered that Croagunk, an exceptionally rare Pokemon, lived in the Safari Zone. It then became my life's goal to capture one. *seven years later* I caught one yesterday. ^^ But, seven long years ago, as I searched the muds of Pastoria's Great Marsh, I happened upon a Carnivine. I'd never even heard of one of these before I found one. I was all proud of myself, showin' him off to everyone I knew who played Pokemon. All my friends were SSSOOOO jealous.
The nickname, however, was nothing to be proud of.
His name is CARNOVOUS. It's pronounced "carnivorous." No, I kid you not. That's how you pronounce it.

Bidoof

Oh, I hate this particular Bidoof. Normally, I love them. This one, I hate with all my heart. His name: Vengeance. *dramatic music starts playing*
Seems like an okay sorta name, right? WRONG. I'd chained sixty-five Machop near Oreburg City, in hopes of finding a Shiny Machop. I saw the sparkling patch. I grew excited. I headed for it...
Battle music.
Bidoof.
Anger.
PokeBall.
Congratulations! You caught a Bidoof! Would you like to give it a nickname?
Yes.
I shall dub thee Vengeance, for I have catched you so I can stuff you in a PC Box, never to be taken out...
And thus, that Bidoof never saw the light of day again...
And never will!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!
WHAT CRUEL IRONY!!!

*ahem* Please share with me your own embarrassing nicknames!! I'm sure I'll post more nicknames in the future...*sigh*

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
When I was younger, much younger, I used to give my Pokémon nicknames of other Pokémon (spelled badly) in hopes they would transform.
I had a Bayleef named "Pidgeyotoe" as an example. Oh, and when I was older, I used to have a habit of calling my Totodile "JAWS". For obvious reasons.

My brothers have done similar bad names. One of them has an Empoleon named "So Cute" and I recently obtained a Skitty from him called "KTM".

My other brother has a Prinplup and called it "ABBCCCCCCD" and on a spare Pokémon Crystal I found, he caught a Golbat and named it "AAAAAAAAAA".

Years
I wasn't exactly expecting to be treated to a wall of text...

That being said, I never nickname my Pokemon. Never.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Heh, I seem to remember the nickname of my first ever pokémon, a Charmander starter from Leaf Green. FLAME HEAD in all-caps - now a pretty powerful lv 100 Charizard. It's a pretty stupid name, I guess, maybe a tad embarrassing. Mainly, though, I just laugh and remember the good times in my first playthrough.

Sorry about not following the rules-of-sorts, I'm just a horrifically lazy person :p

PokemonCollector-N

Pokemon Collector
Years
Embarrassing nicknames you say? Well, the fact that I named about 5 Pokemon after my girlfriend at the time was kind of embarrassing. It was even more embarrassing after we broke up.

I also ended up naming my female Deino "Davis," which I'd meant to use as the nickname for a male.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
Years
Wow, you named your Pokemon after your girlfriend?

And honestly, Sportacus isn't that bad of a nickname. But only if you don't know where the name comes from. Ugh, memories.

And I once named a Golbat Crow in hopes of doing this, it would evolve into a Crobat. I still have this Golbat. And it's never evolved...;-;

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The granddaddy of bad name stories. So, I had a habit of attaching -y or -i to Pokemon names, so Lotad became Loti, Torchic would be Torchy, etc. Well, when I caught a Rhyhorn, Rhyy and Rhyi just didn't work, so instead I took the latter half of the name, Horn. And that became Horny the Rhyhorn. I was really confused why my friend thought the name was so funny, so when she was laughing at it, I figured it must not be a good word so I changed it to Conifer. When she FINALLY told me what it meant, I was relieved I changed the name lol.

I still have this Rhyhorn, btw. Been a Rhydon for years. This was 10 years ago, man. Gettin' old.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I used to name my Pokémon a lot. The names weren't very creative, but I didn't really care back then because I was a kid. I just named them after whatever I wanted. xD Few of these names were WaterTurtle, Birdy, Rounded, and GreenWorm. WaterTurtle was Squirtle, GreenWorm was a Caterpie that I found in Viridian Forest, Rounded was a Voltorb, and Birdy was a Pidgey that I caught on my way to Pewter City. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these Pokémon anymore. As soon as I lost Pokémon Blue, they were all gone.

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
When I played my very first pokemon game... erm, Pokemon Diamond when I was maybe 15 or so, I named my Turtwig "Turty." Quite bland compared to most of the names I use now, but I like how it resonates that "This pokemon was back when I was new to the games" feel.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
When I first played Emerald I'd give the names very similar to their species name, but sounding a little more childish. For example:
Zigzagoon --> Ziggyzoom
Wingull --> Gullywings
Poochyena --> Poochy
Lotad --> Tads
...and so on, in a similar vein right up until Gulpin, which would always be the last pokémon I caught as I could never get past the Oceanic Museum quest and Gulpin's the rarest in that patch of grass north of Slateport.

However, the best nickname I have ever given will always be:
Torchic --> Torchinatr
Because there wasn't room for the "o", and I thought Torchic was awesome and needed a fearsome nickname xD.

Now, I never nickname my pokémon. I don't need to make them more individual - they've got their nature, IVs, EVs, OT etc. Plus some seem to have characteristics of their own anyway. For example, my Swampert on Emerald has never managed to use an attack whilst confused, has to break out of it first. Or my first Dragonair, which only ever hit with Slam after about 3 misses. Or my 2nd Dragonair, which never seemed to miss with Slam.
That and I ceebs to think of good ones. Although I still sometimes nickname pokémon in Hoenn for old times sake.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
when i was young, i used to call pokemon after there types so

empoleon watersteel

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
My worst is probably naming my Swampert "Hoenn".

Or is it naming Chatot "Ninja"?'
Nope. Not even naming Golurk "ArwinDknee".
Got to admit, naming Palkia "404NotFound" was pretty hilarious.

But the prize goes to...
Naming Eelektross "DKHTP". Don't ask what it stands for. Just don't.

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
When I was younger and played pokemon I didn't like nicknaming any of mine. I actually didn't start really nicknaming mine until black and white game out. So thankfully I have no embarrassing or awkward nicknames. I did however hate how the names used to be in all caps, so when I found the name changer and fully evolved my team I'd go back and put their names in lower-cased letters.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Squirty the Blastoise. I cringe whenever I think about that name.
Fart the Weezing. Very mature.
And a few that I probably can't post here as I created them in a drunken stupor and will probably get banned for saying.
Also I named an Arbok YoLoSwAg. Kill me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm gonna pop back in to say that I name all Oddish Spoon and all Psyduck Bathroom.

Back