• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Challenges on Motorcycles!! [CI&D]

Challenge section will have to get sooo many update with the upcoming Fairy types! Can you handle all those updates all by yourself, Syd? :P

And I hope your IRL problems get settled ASAP! Personal problems are just the worst you can ever have!
Can't wait to see who the winners are for the raffle :)

Years
So, recently I've had a lot of free time and thought it would be great to run a challenge of my own! I have come up with a few ideas, but I have decided that a good idea might be a Date of Birth challenge, where Pokemon are assigned to a person based on their (Surprise surprise) DOB. I've come up with a few ideas as to how this would work, and also not restrict the selection of Pokemon available. Basically, using three different and simple equations, three different Pokemon can be assigned from the respective regional Pokedex of game the challenger has chosen. I'm still fine tuning what these equations might be, but my ideas for them are:

1. Adding the day, month and last two digits of the year together.
2. The day multiplied by the generation of game chosen.
3. The month multiplied by the generation of the game chosen, squared. (As in squaring the generation value)

The problem I was having was the B2/W2 regional Pokedex having 300 Pokemon, whereas, most others have around 150-200. I made it possible to achieve any number between 1-300 (I think), but if the challenger has selected a different game, they might get a number that's too high. My idea for a possible solution would be to half the number to find a suitable one. Also, if people didn't want to post their DOB, the challenge would have the rules for assigning yourself the Pokemon, so they won't have to.

Any comments, advice or other ideas for this quiz would be greatly appreciated :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Favorite Challenge will just get remade entirely (a few months after XY's release though, so people have time to get the game), Gender Dis will need a new list, TCG will just...update on it's own, since you can look at XY Base Set on Serebii or Bulbapedia, and Gym Leader will probably be the biggest pain to update. ...Did I miss one? That's all I'm running, I think. lol

Also, I'm having a big brain fart trying to understand all the math in that DOB challenge. Don't make me do math waaaah.

Edit: YO someone should sign up for Gym Leader so it doesn't die. :( Remember, revival rule in here is two months instead of one. It'll be two months old on September 13th if no one updates or signs up, and I really don't wanna have to remake it and replay it. ~_~ I worked hard on that one guys sob sob

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Challenges on Motorcycles!! [CI&D]

Hmm, I was planning on doing another challenge but since you need help for the Gym Leader thread I'll help you out Syd and bump it. Because I know how difficult it is to invent a good challenge and then preparing the thread, just for it to die out >.<

Edit: Btw, Syd. I finished the challenge with my Lt. Surge run. You forgot to put that one in the Gym Heroes section :(

Last edited:
Years
Also, I'm having a big brain fart trying to understand all the math in that DOB challenge. Don't make me do math waaaah.
Would posting an example make it easier to understand?

So, My date of birth is 12/24/1994, if I were playing a Generation 3 game, that would give me:

1. 24+12+94=130 Which would give me Crawdaunt.
2. 24x3=72 Gives me Aggron
3. 12x3x3=108 Gives me Koffing

If we wrote it as MM/DD/YY, it would be:

1. DD+MM+YY
2. DD x (Generation of game)
3. MM x (Generation of game)^2

I think the idea is sound, I just need to work out the kinks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
So I'm almost done with my Olympian God challenge that I'm making. Hopefully this challenge will be a hit, because I put so much effort into it! xD
I am totally doing this challenge when you put it up, Jz! I've been much into the Olympian Gods (especially with the series I've been into recently) and my heart jumped a little when I saw this post. Can't wait! ♥

Though I have a few other challenges to do and I wasn't able to complete last months event challenge due to irl things I'm slowing getting back into the swing of progressing in my challenges. Updated one of 'em today and it felt nice so yeah.

@Bestwaffles: so the max amount of Pokemon you would have in your challenge would be only three? I've never had a team of only three before but it'll be interesting if I decide to try out the birthday challenge. While testing the equations on a few regions all the ones I did look at are Pokemon that I have never used before so it would certainly be worth my time.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Hello guys, it's been a while. Not like anyone would care, but I've really been busy lately and I was forced to stay away from "non-productive" activities in the past few weeks -- such as finishing the event challenge ;_;. But anyway, not here to write a blog, I'm just dropping by to leave an idea that I was trying to bring into life before I got sucked into the void.

Spoiler:

Sample?
Spoiler:

Forms
Spoiler:

Previous Leagues (I suppose reserving post #2 would be an acceptable place to put these in)
Spoiler:

well, there it goes. I really found this interesting.. and i hope it would one day be turned into reality. Edit: Yup, it should definitely look fancier than this boring wall of text.

In any case, have fun doing challenges everyone! See ya later~

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That makes much more sense, BestWaffles! Haha. Sorry about my bad math. Posting an example formula makes it much easier for those like me. ;) I like the idea though. Maybe you could add in three more Pokemon without having to use math, though. Like a Pokemon representative of the month you were born in or something. Unless you want to keep it a three Pokemon thing, then that's fine too.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm been throwing this idea around for a Seasonal Challenge (the idea of picking your Pokemon depending on what season you choose) but I need to first open up one of my games so I can do the challenge myself. I don't think there is a challenge like that right now though, so maybe I can start working on it while finishing up one of my current challenges and then putting up that one once I can do it myself?

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'm been throwing this idea around for a Seasonal Challenge (the idea of picking your Pokemon depending on what season you choose) but I need to first open up one of my games so I can do the challenge myself. I don't think there is a challenge like that right now though, so maybe I can start working on it while finishing up one of my current challenges and then putting up that one once I can do it myself?

Seasonal challenge sounds pretty cool. I would join it myself. There's also a temperature Challenge where you specific types depending on the weather you'll have in the next following 5 days. It sounds pretty similar but yours is seasons while that one is temperature :D

I also read the Challenges on Motorcycles posts from 2010 & 2011 and I saw some really good ideas from back then. Like for example, The Random Word Challenge. Where you use a Random Name Generator and get something then build your team around that. For example, you get the word 'Claw', so your team could be Sandslash, Zangoose & Kabutops :)

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
Years
I remember the random word challenge, it was really cool and got me to think of the theme a lot! I think my team had 2 rock/ground types and 2 water/flying types :p.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm about to go to bed, so I just want to post in here and remind everyone that if you participated in the event last month, please check out my latest post in that thread if you haven't already! It's very important. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Seasonal challenge sounds pretty cool. I would join it myself. There's also a temperature Challenge where you specific types depending on the weather you'll have in the next following 5 days. It sounds pretty similar but yours is seasons while that one is temperature :D

I also read the Challenges on Motorcycles posts from 2010 & 2011 and I saw some really good ideas from back then. Like for example, The Random Word Challenge. Where you use a Random Name Generator and get something then build your team around that. For example, you get the word 'Claw', so your team could be Sandslash, Zangoose & Kabutops :)
Ooooo the temperature challenge sounds fun! I would probably have a mix between a rain and a sun team because it's been between rain and sun well... since summer began haha. Might be more interesting when Fall/Winter gets near. But in general it would probably also be an easier challenge to set up; I've started sorting out the Pokemon for the Seasonal Challenge Winter would definitely be the hardest season to do cause like what else am I suppose to put other than ice pokemon and a few others?

The Random Word challenge sounds pretty fun! Though there are so many other challenges I want to do and complete right now if that one popped up I don't know what I would do. I seriously should just focus on beating one of my current challenges aha.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Yeaaa! I only got two cartridges in which I can do challenges on, because all of my DS games, I use them for Pokedex completion or for my trading thread xD
And there's just soooo many challenges I wanna do right now!

I only use FireRed or Ruby for challenges, and I'm getting quite bored of them. I might get Soul Silver, Platinum and Black 2 so my challenge would be more diverse :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Most of my challenge games other than FireRed are, sadly, ROMS. I want more actual cartridges so I'm not breaking the law or anything (though honestly I did at some point own all the games I have ROMs for other than Heart Gold) but I don't have the money for it. Like... HG was $40 last time I want to a video game store and when I saw that I was happen that I got Fire Emblem: Awakening instead.

That said I technically have two cartridges I can do a challenge on? Crystal that was for the event and Gold that I downloaded for some reason or another. But I still should finish what I have on FireRed, Emerald, HeartGold, and Platinum first.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I just have a pet peeves for ROMS. I rather have the physical copy =/
I don't really enjoy a Pokemon game on a ROM, lol :(

Because, when I'm done with a challenge, I transfer those Pokemon to another Pokemon game so they don't become a waste.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Me too. I avoided for the longest time before realizing that it was really the only way to get into Challenges. I still don't like it (I like playing Crystal and Gold more on my phone since it's more portable than my laptop) but it's something I'm sucking up to so I can enjoy the amazing challenges that are here.

I really wished I could do that. But after losing Pokemon so many times to my stupidity anyways I suppose overtime I found it more and more pointless. It's why I don't touch the majority of my Pokemon games though. My White version is honestly the only game that I have that I can play and then trade my teams over to another game (black 2) before restarting and be willing to restart (cause I ain't ever restarting Soul Silver. Contemplated Ruby but eh...).

Oh and FireRed. I do remember transferring my Monotype team over to Soul Silver when I was done with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back