• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Depressing Lack of Diamond and Pearl

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I skipped out on everything in the anime since the end of Master Quest. Now I got into Black and White, which had me thinking of DP. I've been reading about DP on Tvtropes and boy it looks like I missed out. I've been scouring the internet and can't find really much of the subbed at all. I'm not asking for links since that's against the rules but does anyone think most of DP is lost forever. Do y'all think anyone is going to go back and pick it up and I should be patient or is everyone just going to push forward with Best Wishes?

Also is the dub as horrible as it seems? Is it bearable?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I re-watched the whole saga recently so they're out there, you just have to search :) It's definitely not something you should miss though, DP was by far my favourite saga overall. The dub was great (Ash's voice finally broke!) and the whole saga was absolutely amazing. It had wonderful stories, great filler episodes and the teams they trained were refreshingly unique, so I definitely suggest watching it if you manage to find it. Plus Dawn is an amazing companion <3

Years
I agree with AlexOzzyCake. You should rewatch the entire D/P saga, it had well-constructed battles, awesome rivalries, great character development, improvement in Ash's voice, good-looking teams for the main characters and Dawn is my fave female traveling partner of Ash.

You should definitely watch it, just do a Google search.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
Well I've been google searching obsessively over the past week or so. I can find the dub with little hassle so I might just have to break down and watch it. Do any of y'all know how different the dub is from the sub, I've noticed it's pretty different in the other seasons. DP has me excited and what made me really want to watch is Gligar and Chimchar. Just the clips I've seen of those two characters makes me mush for them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The D/P seasons were very good and the dubbed version was one of the best versions I've ever seen. There were some unexpected twists along the way, such as Ash adopting Paul's Chimchar and Ash catching a Gible.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 2, 2014
It's rather heartbreaking watching Best Wishes. Where Pikachu once was able to take down a Latios, but now it gets owned by a Snivy and Panpour. The really heart breaking thing is how they made Ash's character fall so much. He doesn't have his DP battling tactics, he doesn't train his Pokemon extensively as he did with Turtwig's Energy Ball or Pikachu's Volt Tackle (which doesn't exist anymore). I really hated the episode where he battles Elisa... Just wow...

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I'd definitely recommend the DP series, so if you're having bother finding it subbed just watch the dub. Although I'm one of these people who can't stand the subbed ones, soI would say that D:

I didn't really enjoy BW so much, but Rival Destinies is a bit better. Although I do agree, it seems like Ash has gone way backwards with his battling style. And Iris and Cilan aren't a patch on Dawn and Brock imo.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
Well I did end up watching the dub, I'm like on episode 38. I'm surprised, the dub is pretty good. After being burned off of Advanced I was very hesitant about it. Anybody else find themselves skipping most of the filler episodes?

It's rather heartbreaking watching Best Wishes. Where Pikachu once was able to take down a Latios, but now it gets owned by a Snivy and Panpour. The really heart breaking thing is how they made Ash's character fall so much. He doesn't have his DP battling tactics, he doesn't train his Pokemon extensively as he did with Turtwig's Energy Ball or Pikachu's Volt Tackle (which doesn't exist anymore). I really hated the episode where he battles Elisa... Just wow...
Best Wishes isn't so bad when you watch it as a reboot. I came in not expecting him to be much better than he was at the end of Jhoto so I wasn't too upset. The whole Snivy fight still burns me up, I really want Ash to get fed up and completely destroy Shootie (Trip?). Is Volt Tackle actually gone? I've been caught up in how cool Electro ball looks.

I'd definitely recommend the DP series, so if you're having bother finding it subbed just watch the dub. Although I'm one of these people who can't stand the subbed ones, soI would say that D:

I didn't really enjoy BW so much, but Rival Destinies is a bit better. Although I do agree, it seems like Ash has gone way backwards with his battling style. And Iris and Cilan aren't a patch on Dawn and Brock imo.
Why don't you like the subs? I personally love them. Is it because of the whole reading and watching at the same time thingy?

Where does Rival Destinies start? Is it after the poison gym?
Iris is okay to me, reminds me of a less violent Misty. At this point I actually prefer Cilan over Brock. The whole fall in love with every woman was tiring but I am sad to see him go.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Is Volt Tackle actually gone? I've been caught up in how cool Electro ball looks.
Well... since Pikachu learned Electro Ball, Volt Tackle is no longer on his list of moves.
As you probably know, Pikachu has Electro Ball, Iron Tail, Jyuu Man Boruto (Thunderbolt) and Denko Sekka (Quick Attack) so no space for Volt Tackle.

Why don't you like the subs? I personally love them. Is it because of the whole reading and watching at the same time thingy?

At this point I actually prefer Cilan over Brock. The whole fall in love with every woman was tiring but I am sad to see him go.
Finally someone who shares my opinion of loving Japanese version and Dent =D

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years

Well... since Pikachu learned Electro Ball, Volt Tackle is no longer on his list of moves.
As you probably know, Pikachu has Electro Ball, Iron Tail, Jyuu Man Boruto (Thunderbolt) and Denko Sekka (Quick Attack) so no space for Volt Tackle.

Finally someone who shares my opinion of loving Japanese version and Dent =D
I don't expect the show to really follow game rules so I thought he just hadn't been using it anymore.

Has the subbing culture died down or something? Subs used to be all the rage and I do love Dent. He doesn't make me cringe as much as Brock.
Dent to Cilan is such a silly name change, what was the purpose of that. Dent sounds more American than Cilan. I might just go ahead and make a new thread about that.

KonohaSkye

Gamer 4 Life
Years
I think DP is re airing in October on Boomerang. I plan to rewatch it. Very fun and well written arc

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013

Where does Rival Destinies start? Is it after the poison gym?
Iris is okay to me, reminds me of a less violent Misty. At this point I actually prefer Cilan over Brock. The whole fall in love with every woman was tiring but I am sad to see him go.
Partly that, partly because I find the voices beyond irritating, and partly because I hate their Japanese names.

And nah, Rival Destinies starts way before that. It starts with the Elesa battle iirc. They've not long done the Poison gym now. Although I'm way behind 'cause we get everything ages after the US.

I do like Cilan, but I think his whole connoisseur thing gets just as annoying as Brock's girl thing did haha.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I guess it's what you are used to, cause to me the dub voices and names don't seem right. I still occasionally get confused on names for the pokemon themselves.

Well the Poison gym was simultaneously awesome and disappointing.
The connoisseur thing can be annoying but I view as a fresh annoyance instead of a stale one such as Brock

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Though subtitled episodes are rather difficult to find with copyright laws and the like, Pokemon's official website just started their third run of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (in English on the American site). They put on ten episodes online for every series (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and even the first season of Unova), and they add the five next episodes every Friday. However, with every five they add, they take off the last five, so you only have a two-week timeframe to watch certain episodes before they are removed again. So, while they have just started the Sinnoh saga, due to how they were putting up and removing episodes, the first episode is right now at the moment unavailable (it was on last week), but the next ten episodes are. However, the first five episodes on the listing will disappear on Friday, so catch them while you can on "Pokemon TV". Fortunately, the first episode of the Diamond and Pearl series solely focused on Dawn and as the pilot episode of a new series it is probably floating around in the interspace.

I will warn you, while there are many more story and character arcs than in previous series, there are even more fillers. We had like thirty episodes between the third and fourth gym, and in Japan the air dates of the seventh and eighth gym battles were a year apart. For example, skip episodes like "Steamboat Willies" and "Cream of the Croagunk Crop".

Back