• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbd

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
Is there somewhere "official" or most used to go for frie nd rescues on pkmn mystery dungeon sky? I wanna help rescue people but I searched the webs and didnt find any threads that are still being used in 2012. Or is there none leftz?

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
Girl in Stadium 2?? HELP

I have beaten Pokemon Stadium 2 over and over. at the end it shows photos of several gym leaders/elite 4 members battling. but there is a girl with blue hair and a suicune battling the red-head rival. who is she? and how do you get to her? what does it mean!! someone help!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is there somewhere "official" or most used to go for frie nd rescues on pkmn mystery dungeon sky? I wanna help rescue people but I searched the webs and didnt find any threads that are still being used in 2012. Or is there none leftz?

There's a PMD Rescue Thread here. It's not very active cause I don't think a lot of people are playing PMD lately, but feel free to use it anyway. It's a sticky. Can't miss it and the revival rule doesn't apply to it as well as other stickies.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I have beaten Pokemon Stadium 2 over and over. at the end it shows photos of several gym leaders/elite 4 members battling. but there is a girl with blue hair and a suicune battling the red-head rival. who is she? and how do you get to her? what does it mean!! someone help!!

I think you're referring to Kris, the female hero from Pokémon Crystal.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
Pokemon XD Mew Tutor Help Needed

Hello,

I have a Mew on Pokemon Emerald (from the old Pokemon event from years back) and I am trying to teach it the move of "Fake Out" via the Mew Tutor in Pokemon XD. Has anyone been able to figure out the combination of answers to the questions to generate a moveset with fake out in it?

Thanks in advance!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I tried to find a list of combinations, but nothing seemed to show up. :/ The most I could find was Serebii's list of questions, but not a combination to get Fake Out. Hopefully someone else may come along that knows it. I never had this Mew so I wasn't able to do this.

Years
Can I change my main character in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, at the end of the game?

I was wondering if at the end of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky), I am able to change my main character? Do I have to get to a special rank to do so, or is it just impossible? By changing my main pokemon, I mean that I'll be that pokemon, even outside of rescues and dungeons. Thanks!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can control whichever Pokemon you want after you beat the main game.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Can I change my main character in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, at the end of the game?

I was wondering if at the end of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky), I am able to change my main character? Do I have to get to a special rank to do so, or is it just impossible? By changing my main pokemon, I mean that I'll be that pokemon, even outside of rescues and dungeons. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can control whichever Pokemon you want after you beat the main game.
You can control any Pokémon you have recruited before, but only in dungeons. You cannot change the main Pokémon that was chosen by your personality quiz, as this is the Pokémon that is supposed to represent yourself. It's the one that you walk around in town and at the guild with. If you were asking if it were possible to change the one that represents yourself, you can't. If you just meant you wanted to play as a different Pokémon in a dungeon, you can. Just go to Chimecho, add the Pokémon you want to be, then select that Pokémon and select "Make Leader". Then add/remove any other Pokémon you want to take with you. Keep in mind that the Pokémon you choose only affect your Rescue Team, a.k.a., the ones that go into the dungeon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since we often have question threads that apply to more than one game, I figured it was about time we added a general question thread to this section to help with clutter and to lessen confusion! :)

Rules:
- If the question you're going to ask already has a forum dedicated to it, like Black and White, please ask in that section's Q&A thread. Your posts may be deleted if they are specific to one game that already has a thread or belong elsewhere entirely.
- Remember that team helps belongs in Battle Center, and you must post movesets when you make a thread in that forum.
- This thread can apply, but is not limited to, questions about the following: fake games, migrating between generations, link cable troubles, debating choices of game purchase, changing batteries, etc. as long as it remains within Pokemon gaming.
- No "thank you" posts. They will be deleted as spam and you can possibly be infracted if you break this rule constantly. Feel free to thank someone through VM though.

Without further ado, let the questions roll!

Last edited by a moderator:

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Rare Candy Not Good For Leveling-Up?

Me and a friend of mine were playing pokemon Emerald when we came across a rare candy.
I said''Hey lets use it''
He said ''Nah Pokemon better level up with battles.Rare candy level ups dont give them as much stat ups as a regural level up''

Is that true?Does leveling up by battle increases the stats more than leveling up with a rare candy?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, but I mean, if you've already accumulated all the EVs you can with that Pokemon, then a Rare Candy won't hurt. So for example, if you caught your Pokemon at level 5, I'm sure that around level 55 it's gotten all the EVs it can have and using a Rare Candy won't make a difference. I tend to just wait to use all my Rare Candies before the E4 so that I won't miss stat gains, but I mean, one harmless Rare Candy isn't gonna hurt you really. Unless you're EVing the Pokemon, I wouldn't worry too much about using a Rare Candy.

tl;dr Pokemon get more stat gains by battles, but a Rare Candy is still a nice treat and I recommend saving it till the end of the game for any level boost you might need. :)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Iv Tricks and strategies

anyone have ideas how to get the highest possible IV? Are there certain things to look for or what?
Need help getting Speed Ivs

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Iv Tricks and strategies

anyone have ideas how to get the highest possible IV? Are there certain things to look for or what?
Need help getting Speed Ivs

You can talk to the IV Judge in Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW and BW2. In Emerald they're at the Battle Frontier, in Platinum and HGSS at the Battle Tower and in BW and BW2 at the Battle Subway. They'll tell you how high the Pokémon's IVs are in general, what stat has the highest IV, and how good that IV is. If it is perfect, they'll mention how it is flawless or something similar.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you're trying to get good IVs, you could have a parent Pokemon hold the Power Anklet, after you find out the IVs of the parent anyway so that you can pass on their specific IV. This only works in HGSS onward though.

Also, if this is for a game on the DS, you could just upload it to Pokecheck. That will tell you the exact IVs as well as the Hidden Power and EVs of the Pokemon. If you don't have WiFi though, then you'll have to use the people that vaporeon7 referred to.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2012
Silver/Gold player needing modern advice

Hello all, just signed up for this forum because I have had the craziest urges lately to play pokemon. I used to have silver and gold for a game boy color, the only games I even cared to own for it, with a gameshark. I really did enjoy the games a lot but over the years I moved to console games and then eventually to PC games. The gameboy's been lost for years, it's really sad to think about... Not sure when it started but I know what cemented it, my girlfriend's 6 year old got pokemon black when we got him a DS earlier this year. Just seeing it kicked in some sort of addiction. I remember staying up ALL NIGHT just to get to the "next area". I remember using my gameshark to load up on repels and master balls :).

Well, I played black for a couple of hours, but I saw he had like Charizard and some others, not exactly sure how I think he has another game, so I didn't save. That's crap you can only have one save per game, I mean in 2000 ok, but today, it just seems so limiting. I read it's a marketing tactic to sell more cartridges. whatever. Obviously then if I want to play it I'm going to have to buy one of my own damned games..

Here's where I need advice. What the hell are all of these goofy pokemon? A silly looking monkey that looks like a pokemon rip off? All you encounter in the first parts of black are a bunch of filthy rats and small dogs. I apologize if that offended anyone. But I think so so so fondly of the pokemon of gold and silver. I remember fishing and I remember Gyarados, of course I remember how important repels were, but I'm skeptical of these new types. (I was exaggerating slightly I was kind of interested to see what Herdier would look like if he evolved again). Basically, every pokemon was cool in those games and now i feel like I have to judge a potentially good pokemon and pass on it because it looks so darn silly.

So what game do I invest in if I think the new generation of pokemon are just ridiculous looking? Or is the plot something that overcomes that? It seems like everyone has a different opinion. I mean are Ruby and Saphire decent games with normal looking, sweet pokemon? for some reason I'm leaning toward emerald as a good point to get back into the games. Or should I bite the bullet and suck it up, and try to play black or white which I have heard as being pretty good? I don't know how to reconcile how every pokemon in gold/silver looked really cool and they just don't all seem to in the new ones. And everyone disagrees so I'm just standing on the sidelines exhausted waiting for one side to win. So can somebody please tell me what new generation game is best for a silver/gold fan? I think I'll probably pass on soulsilver/heartgold because I read the plot and my memory is bad but I recognized every town and a lot of the plot so I'd like a surprise. But I can definitely be convinced because I don't remember a lot of it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm gonna merge this with the general Q&A thread.

Suck it up and play Black and White. I'm sick of people coming on and posting about how the Pokemon are crap and new and ugly and strange and such. I mean, this happens a bit, and it's nice to have your own opinion and all, but things change, things move forward. We can't be happy about them all, and if you really just can't stand it, you can go do something else. That's just how I feel after seeing all these "new Pokemon are ugly" topics/posts.

Gameplay wise though, I'd keep playing BW. They're really fun and plotwise, much better than previous games. Black and White 2 are actually much better though, and if you enjoy older Pokemon more than the new, they updated the Pokedex in that game so that there are gen I-IV Pokemon found in the wild, which is nice cause all Unova Pokemon got a bit tiring after a while, similar to how playing RBY/FRLG, you get tired of all Kanto Pokemon, though that's what they were going for haha.

And if you want a "blast from the past" feel, I recommend going to HeartGold or SoulSilver. They take everything that make GSC great and multiply it by 5. It's a great remake and keeps the original games well in tact, while adding its own flair to make it different, and that's really what makes the game special to me. Not to mention, there are no "weird" gen V Pokemon. Just gen I and II, and later you can find III and IV.

And Emerald is DA BOMB. To be honest though, if you're coming out of gen II and going straight to gen III, I think what might ease the blow is going through by generation. So go with Emerald (though you'd definitely want to buy one from a local store, as the ones sold online are often fake), then Platinum, HGSS if you want to, and then maybe pick back up with BW or B2W2. I think what happens with people in your situation are that they haven't played in so long, so the nostalgia goggles are still on lol. So I think if you just go through the games you missed in order, it all might not seem so strange. Then again, even to the hardcore fans, gen V Pokemon looked weird at first. All new Pokemon tend to look weird at first, but we get used to it and adjust.

Last edited:

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Okay I haven't played Black or White yet. I'm familiar with most of the Pokemon actually, but I'm wondering if it'll make a difference if I just get BW2 first without playing the first games or if I should just play the first games first. I guess it doesn't matter, but I could save a couple bucks.

Years
Okay I haven't played Black or White yet. I'm familiar with most of the Pokemon actually, but I'm wondering if it'll make a difference if I just get BW2 first without playing the first games or if I should just play the first games first. I guess it doesn't matter, but I could save a couple bucks.

I recommend playing the original Black or White first cos it helps you prepare for the Black 2 and White 2 story. Also, Black 2 and White 2 has the Memory Link feature which activates when you connect to Black or White.

Memory Link unlocks some neat stuff, such as flashback cutscenes, the ability to catch N's Pokemon and also some post-game battles against N, as well as Cheren and Bianca using the team they had on the Black or White game used. Those are just some of the features you can unlock by only using Memory Link.

So yeah, start with Black and White, and then do Black 2 and White 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back