• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.

The graphics have improved drastically since January.

Also, comparing to other 3DS games, this is one of the best looking 3DS games I've seen. I have played a ton of 3DS games, and they sometimes try too hard, and it ends up being less polished. Take Luigi's Mansion, for example. They tried to make things a little too graphically intense, and the frame rate often suffers.

Also, remember that they have to include over 700 3D Pokemon models, each with dozens of different animations / facial expressions, nevermind the trainers and the region.

Years
The graphics look good. I am so happy with them. And they will improve them by the time the game is released!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
To the nitpickers out there I say give it a rest. If the graphics are so important to you, then play only the games whose graphics meets your approval.
I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of your post, but I'm gonna say I know the game is an RPG and I know graphical capabilities has to be limited, but are we really gonna use that as an excuse?
It's like we forgot about that other game which is also completely PACKED with content, that other game that actually has so many enemies on screen at once and yet stays at a constant frame rate, that other game that still managed to look good and highly detailed. (I'm talking about Kid Icarus.) Don't get me started on Dragon Quest 7 or Bravely Default which are also RPGs. They actually look good and are graphical marvels compared to X/Y. This isn't just a difference in art style.

But anyway, that's not what I'm here to argue about. Your quoted sentence, on the other hand, that kind of mentality needs to go. You should NOT tell anyone bothered by this to "take a rest". I'm one of the last people who'd complain about graphics, and I DO plan to buy this game, but am I not allowed to complain about it? Graphics ARE important, regardless of what anyone says, and to me X/Y is exactly why. If the game is ugly, it's ugly, no two ways about it. Now am I not gonna play the game because of it? No. But will I be bothered by it? Yes. And that's why I'm complaining. Gameplay is first but I don't like to play a game that looks like shovelware. I have every rights to criticize.
The graphics have improved drastically since January.

Also, comparing to other 3DS games, this is one of the best looking 3DS games I've seen. I have played a ton of 3DS games, and they sometimes try too hard, and it ends up being less polished. Take Luigi's Mansion, for example. They tried to make things a little too graphically intense, and the frame rate often suffers.

Also, remember that they have to include over 700 3D Pokemon models, each with dozens of different animations / facial expressions, nevermind the trainers and the region.
Did we play the same game? Luigi's Mansion 2 constantly stayed at 30fps (which is acceptable for a slow-paced adventure game) unless you open doors or there are too many ghosts in a big room. X/Y, on the other hand, from what I saw on the videos, struggled to keep at 30fps. Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 was NOT graphically intense at all.

The graphics did not improve that much since January anyway. At least, from what I saw. How is X/Y "polished" anyway?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Well I obviously didn't expect Pokemon on 3DS to be as visually great as RE Revelations or KIU before I saw the first trailer. I think they made a huge improvement compaired to older Pokemon games but I also think they could have done better. Pokemon still keeps its "pixelated" style so people who were sad about the end of sprites don't really have to complain. I'm sure future Pokemon games will look better and better (obviously). I don't judge games only because of graphics, so if XY will have great gameplay (which it will most likely have) it's still going to be an awesome game in general.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Love how they have improved on the graphics since the initial showing. I find the cell shaded style a bit better than pure 3D. At least they are trying to improve what they do rather than just recycling everything this time around. For a company that doesn't do much in 3D this is a very good start for them.

I may actually try to play with the 3D feature on just to see any difference. Should look better than the other games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The graphics of the towns are beautiful, however I think they can still improve. Also the latest trailers said that what was shown may not be the finalized version of the game, so let's hope it get's better.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of your post, but I'm gonna say I know the game is an RPG and I know graphical capabilities has to be limited, but are we really gonna use that as an excuse?

What's the point of complaining about something outside of our control? Far better to accept what is and be happy about it. That's what I do. Graphics never was all that important to me especially since I'm visually impaired. In fact, I would be perfectly content with greyscale graphics, which at least would be something I could actually see properly.

But anyway, that's not what I'm here to argue about. Your quoted sentence, on the other hand, that kind of mentality needs to go. You should NOT tell anyone bothered by this to "take a rest". I'm one of the last people who'd complain about graphics, and I DO plan to buy this game, but am I not allowed to complain about it? Graphics ARE important, regardless of what anyone says, and to me X/Y is exactly why. If the game is ugly, it's ugly, no two ways about it. Now am I not gonna play the game because of it? No. But will I be bothered by it? Yes. And that's why I'm complaining. Gameplay is first but I don't like to play a game that looks like shovelware. I have every rights to criticize.

Of course you have every right to criticize, but equally I have every right to roll my eyes at people who whine and complain about something they have no control over. It's like complaining about the weather, a pointless waste of effort. Your energies would be better spent doing something else. But hey, it's yours to waste, so if you want to vent and stomp your feet and pout with your arms folded across your chest like a child who didn't get the last piece of cake just because the graphics aren't to your liking, knock yourself out. I'm not going to stop you. But don't for a second think that I can't criticize your criticisms. Besides, in the end, what will all your complaining about the graphics accomplish? Not a darned thing. Just like complaining about the weather.

The graphics did not improve that much since January anyway. At least, from what I saw. How is X/Y "polished" anyway?

Even I can see that the graphics are sharper, and I'm visually impaired. Take a screen capture of each of the videos released and compare them.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What's the point of complaining about something outside of our control? Far better to accept what is and be happy about it. That's what I do. Graphics never was all that important to me especially since I'm visually impaired. In fact, I would be perfectly content with greyscale graphics, which at least would be something I could actually see properly.
Good for you. Graphics aren't important to you, but it is to others. It's out of my control but I want to express my distaste about it. THIS thread is asking us about our opinion about the graphics. Cut it out with that crap.

Of course you have every right to criticize, but equally I have every right to roll my eyes at people who whine and complain about something they have no control over. It's like complaining about the weather, a pointless waste of effort. Your energies would be better spent doing something else. But hey, it's yours to waste, so if you want to vent and stomp your feet and pout with your arms folded across your chest like a child who didn't get the last piece of cake just because the graphics aren't to your liking, knock yourself out. I'm not going to stop you. But don't for a second think that I can't criticize your criticisms. Besides, in the end, what will all your complaining about the graphics accomplish? Not a darned thing. Just like complaining about the weather.
This is extremely hypocritical in every way. How is criticizing me any better than criticizing the graphics? You're being extremely childish here. I only made one post to express my distaste which took me about 5 minutes to make. That's not a waste of time. Might as well say the posters who are praising the graphics are wasting their time as well, because it isn't any different. Your posts on the other hand...

You said it yourself, graphics don't matter to you. But to some of us it does. And we don't like it. So you're telling us we're wasting our time expressing that? Suit yourself, but you're really not doing any better. Unless you want me to complain about the gameplay? Because I'd be happy to, as I have issues with the formula. But you're gonna say something stupid like "stop nitpicking about video games and go outside", won't you?

Your whole posts scream "stop disliking what I like". If you want me to stop complaining (and I only made one post and was about to leave it at that) give me good arguments on why the graphics aren't as bad as I think they are. I have no problems with proper debates like these. But clearly you can't, so you're resorting to the "you're wasting time complaining" fanboy excuse.

But I'll stop, if it'll make you sleep at night.

Even I can see that the graphics are sharper, and I'm visually impaired. Take a screen capture of each of the videos released and compare them.
Sharper in resolution only. Hell, they're not gonna even look that clear on a 3DS (which is 240p). There are improvements, but not much.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Sharper in resolution only. Hell, they're not gonna even look that clear on a 3DS (which is 240p). There are improvements, but not much.

Well there you go. The graphics are better than they were. And in another few months, how much better do you think they might be when the game is finally released. And I for one will enjoy playing the game on my 3DS XL. Now if only they made a 10" version compatible with my Android tablet...

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Well there you go. The graphics are better than they were. And in another few months, how much better do you think they might be when the game is finally released. And I for one will enjoy playing the game on my 3DS XL. Now if only they made a 10" version compatible with my Android tablet...
I never said they didn't improve anything though, just very little. Which is why I really doubt the game is gonna look any better come release, but here's hoping.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I never said they didn't improve anything though, just very little. Which is why I really doubt the game is gonna look any better come release, but here's hoping.

Why the pessimism? I see a marked difference in the quality of graphics. The lines are sharper, more defined. To be perfectly honest, I hate anti-aliasing because to my eyes it makes the image look blurry and not at all very appealing. But then again, my eyes are funny. I don't see colour like most people do, and that plays a huge role in how an image looks.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I... don't know. The graphics, especially the over-world really needs a lot of polishing as they remind of the Zelda games in DS when they tried to do 3D then, and the 3D characters there was very pixelated. Granted this is the first time for a company like GF to venture into 3D but considering what the 3DS is capable of I think they COULD of done a little better. But I'm confident they'll make it more refined in the end product.

The battles look sweet though, especially the 3D models. Hopefully they improve the background a little but except that it looks great. Next step they could do is completely remove the circles they have under the Pokemon and integrate the whole environment onto the graphics.

One thing which I'm kinda hating is the speech bubbles. THEY LOOK UGLY. I dunno, I just have such dislike for them haha. I'm not sure why too, or how GF could improve on them, but I hope it looks better on the end product.

EDIT: Ok, I'll take my first comment back, only just saw the gameplay trailer again. The graphics have definitely got better I admit, and I quite like the overworld now. But the tall grass looks... too bright? I hate to be nitpicky but if it's Pokemon then I want the game to be as good as possible; plus small details are always good. Also the texture blending between the tall grass and the ground isn't the best either. The human characters however look great, good job to GF on that.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
We're all going to have our own opinions about the graphics. We'll either love them, hate them, grow to love them, or we'll be somewhere in between. That doesn't mean we need to go around making this thread some large argument about who's right or who's wrong, because honestly, it's just a matter of opinion. So let's keep it cool, alright guys?

Back